Fish Finder Combos?

BFB

I would like to receive some feedback on Fish Finder Combos.

I am looking at spending around $1,000 on a fish finder but I am tossing up on the value of a fish finder combo compared to a standard fishfinder. At present I have a hand held GPS unit which works reasonably well.

Are combos worth their money or am I better off spending my money on a straight fish finder and saving for a better GPS unit later or will the combo do the job?

In advance, thanks for the feedback.

One thing to keep in mind when purchasing a combo is whether or not it comes with australian maps. The reason why I say this is because maps alone can cost a further $250+ depending. So that would be another cost to factor in when comparing units.

Great point by Musty :thumbup:

I have a garmin 178c combo

i am happy with it but when running in split mode

it gets a little small.

So i jump back and forward in screens a little

depends on what sounder and what maps you wish to buy for it

Maps can add more to that price quickly

I was in the same situation as you restricted by funds but I ended up getting a hand held GPS and a better sounder rather than the combo. They are both on different screens so easier to watch both rather than navigating between on the one unit. However I would say both are of equal importance but I got a better sounder than the one I had but I wish now after being on boats with other more pricey units I would have saved more and got a better sounder. I don't know about everyone else but I'd rather have a better sounder with better resolution to know what is under me at a spot. I think the sounder is more important however I'm still learning how to read mine and catch the fish showing up on it. So I would say if your gps works keep it and get the best sounder you can. Because when you get on someones boat with a better one it proves you get what you pay for. Thats my unqualified two bobs worth anyway.

Cheers,

Joe