Anyone Made Or Know How To Make Surface Lures

Flattiehunter991

You need to make sure the hole is centered correctly through the wood. Hard to do with a hand drill. Ive tried but now just buy lures ready made until I get some better wood working equipment.

$15 for a popper is pretty cheap, x-rap minnows are mid $20's, and then those tiny japanese bream and bass lures are even more.

I used to cut down my mum's broom handles, drill holes and twist wire into them for eyelets, then Araldite them in. Caught a few fish... Mum thought she was growing! :074:

Baz

You're a baaaad man, Baz! :074::074:

Yep, cut down broom handle works very well for poppers. It is the latest craze on the Murray at the moment for chasing cod and yellas. This extract from another site:

the best was a piece of broom stick, cut at 45 degrees on the front, a hole drilled through the centre, and, a wire passed through and twisted at each end to put a treble on and a snap swivel on the front, the best of all was unpainted bare wood, sometimes we would even screw a small eyelet into the middle to fit another treble, and if we were really tricky we would hand paint them white with a red head, still bare SEEMED to be best.

Cheers

Hodgey

I watched the Shimano 08-09 catalogue on dvd last night....Bushy makes proto-types of all of his poppers, stiffy's etc out of wood by hand says it takes him an hour per lure....but i think he's been do it for a long time. Says he can make up to 700 before he gets one right....Roberta you seem to have a little more time on your hands than many of us, ask ya mate Starlo to introduce you to Bushy so that you can learn the art....

Funnily enough a mate of mine caugh a 30cm bream on the below home made Pen popper.....

post-4925-1234993535_thumb.jpg

Edited by Poddy Trapper

Poppers are pretty expensive, if you tie a bad knot you could lose $15. Has anyone made poppers that theyve caught fish on? if so, howd you do it?

thanks

Hi maybe this site will help. http://www.make-your-own-fishing-lures.com...er-fishing.html

Back in S Africa we used to make them out of a piece of broom stick painted white, I have seen many Muloway taken at dusk and dawn in estuary mouth.

Shimano have released a DVD showing their 2009 range of products. It includes a segment with Bushy making luers . Interesting insite into how luers are created & which ones end up in the Shimano range.

The DVD is currently available in one of the monthly fishing mags. Not sure if I can mention the name

For those interested , visit your local news agent

Geoff

Hi Poddy Trapper

Great minds must think alike! I, too, have made some pen surface lures - so far only caught long tom on them tho, not bream or whiting! :(

Don't think I have the patience to make 700 lures before I think one might be 'right'! Nothing wrong with my Thong Thing ..... already caught bream ..... my whiting fly had 4 hits today ..... just a matter of time before it gets eaten!!!

Give it a go - it is fun!

Roberta