Caravan Parks Around Jervis Bay / St George Basin

Mik

Hey all

We're planning a holiday soon to Jervis Bay. Well actually anywhere around that area. The plan is to situate ourselves in a good spot to cover as many possibilities as we can, IE activities for the kiddies, fishing (Big & Little boys trips planned) etc etc.

I was hoping someone might have some suggestions for fishing and also accomodation. We're two families that are doing the tent thing with a small possibility of getting one small cabin between us plus tent sites. (3 adults 5 billy lids)

I noticed the Jervis Bay caravan park has its own ramp which is pretty cool. Arte there any other like this around?

Also, what activities are possible at St Georges Basin?

Fishing? (Is it worth a try or better to go to JB)

Swimming?

Are boats allowed?

Can you pull a tube / ski?

Is it closed to the ocean / can you get outside in a boat from the basin?

Any good beaches to try a line or two one night?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated folks. Its been MANY years since I ventured down that way & have a few fond memories but they are so long ago I really have no clue what its like now.

Hey all

We're planning a holiday soon to Jervis Bay. Well actually anywhere around that area. The plan is to situate ourselves in a good spot to cover as many possibilities as we can, IE activities for the kiddies, fishing (Big & Little boys trips planned) etc etc.

I was hoping someone might have some suggestions for fishing and also accomodation. We're two families that are doing the tent thing with a small possibility of getting one small cabin between us plus tent sites. (3 adults 5 billy lids)

I noticed the Jervis Bay caravan park has its own ramp which is pretty cool. Arte there any other like this around?

Also, what activities are possible at St Georges Basin?

Fishing? (Is it worth a try or better to go to JB)

Swimming?

Are boats allowed?

Can you pull a tube / ski?

Is it closed to the ocean / can you get outside in a boat from the basin?

Any good beaches to try a line or two one night?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated folks. Its been MANY years since I ventured down that way & have a few fond memories but they are so long ago I really have no clue what its like now.

Whitesands caravan park is tops at Husskisson, st georges basing is a top fishing spot and there is access to the ocean but a bar must be crossed.

Cheers,

Adrian.

A cheap bush option would be Honeymoon Bay on the Beecroft Peninsular. Only a few dollars a night. Camping only. Port-a-loos. No other facilities. North side of Jervis bay - awesome area.

You can launch the boat from the beach, or at Callala Bay ramp, and moor it next to the bay (for free, on permanent moor sites).

Great access to the entire bay, great fishing, heaps of squid, lots of bushwalking, swimming, etc etc.

Only downside is lack of facilities and not close to a town if you want non-outdoor activities.

Mike

Thanks folks

Huskisson sounds good as originally I was looking at Vincentia.

Mike, sounds idillic for me, however I'm not sure my girl would appreciate the extra tranquility over amenities :wife:

What is the bar crossing like? I've never crossed a bar so unless its the easiest one in Oz I think that will be a no go for me. Having said that I'd love to give bars a go someday with experienced help. The more skills I learn the better.

Thanks folks

Huskisson sounds good as originally I was looking at Vincentia.

Mike, sounds idillic for me, however I'm not sure my girl would appreciate the extra tranquility over amenities :wife:

What is the bar crossing like? I've never crossed a bar so unless its the easiest one in Oz I think that will be a no go for me. Having said that I'd love to give bars a go someday with experienced help. The more skills I learn the better.

not too sure about the bar. i always go out through jb as i am a chicken lol.

The bar there isn't too bad but not the easiest in OZ, if you've never crossed a bar I would suggest this not be your 1st go at it, unless with someone expierenced obviously.

if your staying at vincentia there is a very good ramp at errowal bay that is only a skip across the basin to sussex inlet and you have some good ramps at murrays beach and also summercloud bay for ocean access. all of these areas are only a short drive from vincentia. At Murrays you can catch squid around the weed beds and shoreline and there are some good fish - kingies, flathead, tailor etc at middle ground between point perpendicular and bowen island ( roughly)You will probably see other boats fishing there as it is a popular spot. summercloud bay tends to be very flat most of the time (depending on the direction of the swell) and can be a good place to take the family if you have some who are a bit suseptible to sea sickness.

There is some very good fishing around crookhaven which is about 1/2 hour north, turn off at Nowra and also a very good camping ground right near the water.

Good luck - hope this helps.

Pete.