Morning Fish Out From Roseville

saltrix

Started about 6am from Roseville, the plan was to get some squid and live bait and fish the harbour.

The squid wouldnt play ball, probably too much fresh, so I thought I would try for flathead on the sand area in front of Sow and Pigs, with some pillies and prawns, but each time I put a bait out it only lasted a few seconds before the little reds devoured it, so after catching several of them I decided to fish out on the sand between the heads. There again the bait was quickly taken but the culprits this time were small jackets.

Birds working between the heads caught my attention but they were huge schools of yellowtail or perhaps cowanyoung, but they ignored small spinners and bait jigs so I decided to head out to the DY flathead grounds.

There was no action there either, they only seem to be there Sept/Oct/Nov, but there is a good reef or gravel area just to the west of the grounds so I tried a few drifts there.post-3961-1235021336_thumb.jpg

At last I got a few fish. Every time I went over a certain spot I got fish. Unfortunately some were Sergent Baker and one a king of 62cm, (returned reluctantly as it was a deep powerful fish) but the mowies were a good size.post-3961-1235021470_thumb.jpg

Finished up with a good feed and spent a lot of the afternoon filleting, skinning and packing them up.

I find if I leave the scales on the fillet and skin them and take the stomach lining and bones away they are good eating.post-3961-1235021716_thumb.jpg

Send me an email if you want the marks, I will have to take them off my GPS as I marked it and got bites every time only on that spot.

Were do u normaallyy get your squid from at Balmoral?

Go to the fishing chat section, and look at fishing for squid. click on "articles" in the reply by Hodgey to go to some good articles.

Generally kelp areas seem to hold the squid but they are not consistant so try different locations until you find them.

I have caught them around the island at Balmoral, under the Spit bridge but only of a night or very early in the morning, also around Grotto point close to the rocks, and at South head around the inside near Lady Jane, but they do not seem to be in the same place twice, or like the same size jig or colour as they did the day before.

Some other members might have more information.

Hey Saltrix,

Well done there in difficult conditions.

I think we need a week or so for the fish to come back on the bite.

I went out this arvo for a few hours in MH but it was pretty dead.

Too much fresh and average tides.

Cheers

Hey Saltrix,

Well done there in difficult conditions.

I think we need a week or so for the fish to come back on the bite.

I went out this arvo for a few hours in MH but it was pretty dead.

Too much fresh and average tides.

Cheers

Yes even though some members have said the flathead seem unaffected I thought there was a lot fresh and coloured water around, and the big schools of yellowtail or cowanyoung were outside the harbour probably because there was too much fresh inside

Regards

ive read in a few places that keeping the scales on the fish keeps alot of bacteria and generally keeps the fish fresher for longer... non the less greattt catch

That is true, I do not scale, clean, or fillet fish until I am home and it goes into the fridge for immediate use or into the freezer sealed with a brine glaze for later use.