Fishing Help Please :)

victorski

Hey everyone,

i've been lurking around this forum awhile reading up on everyones use of SP's and the beautiful catches that everyones managed to get! i'm just looking for some advice as being a novice fisho i've got not much idea about anything :( anyway i purchased a Shimano Cantana 7" 2-4kg rod with a Shimano Sedona 1000 Reel, i've loaded it up with Berkley fireline 6lb with a 6ft leader of Berkley Flouro-Carbon Vanish 8lb , i've got a pack of Gulp 3" minnows in pumpkin seed and some 1/16 2# size jig heads! I live in vaucluse and have tryed fishing off rose bay wharf with not much luck, i'm just looking to catch some nice bream/flathead possibly whiting :) i was just wondering if anyone could suggest some nice land based fishing spots, i've got access to a car so distance isn't really a problem although i'd much prefer to fish closer to home :) any help would be fantastic :) thanks everyone!!

Hey everyone,

i've been lurking around this forum awhile reading up on everyones use of SP's and the beautiful catches that everyones managed to get! i'm just looking for some advice as being a novice fisho i've got not much idea about anything :( anyway i purchased a Shimano Cantana 7" 2-4kg rod with a Shimano Sedona 1000 Reel, i've loaded it up with Berkley fireline 6lb with a 6ft leader of Berkley Flouro-Carbon Vanish 8lb , i've got a pack of Gulp 3" minnows in pumpkin seed and some 1/16 2# size jig heads! I live in vaucluse and have tryed fishing off rose bay wharf with not much luck, i'm just looking to catch some nice bream/flathead possibly whiting :) i was just wondering if anyone could suggest some nice land based fishing spots, i've got access to a car so distance isn't really a problem although i'd much prefer to fish closer to home :) any help would be fantastic :) thanks everyone!!

Gdayyyyyyy Vic,

you could do a lot worse than Hen and Chicken Bay ,its easy to fish and you should learn to master your soft plastic fishing there.

The golf course end is a great spot as shown to me by Jewhunter

Rising tide and light jigheads will see you score plenty of bream and flatties and maybe the odd school jew.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers Swordfisherman

Gdayyyyyyy Vic,

you could do a lot worse than Hen and Chicken Bay ,its easy to fish and you should learn to master your soft plastic fishing there.

The golf course end is a great spot as shown to me by Jewhunter

Rising tide and light jigheads will see you score plenty of bream and flatties and maybe the odd school jew.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers Swordfisherman

Hey stewy, at H&C/Specifically around the golf course area, are there specific visible structures were casting to? Or are we just casting around and then moving if theres no action

Hey stewy, at H&C/Specifically around the golf course area, are there specific visible structures were casting to? Or are we just casting around and then moving if theres no action

Just move along the man made wall up to the drain and back again.

Casting as you go :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Thanks Swordfish :1prop: H&C bay is on the way back from my uni in parramatta so i can always drop in for a quick flick after most days of uni to practice!! would you be able to mark on a map where i should be fishing though :( i've never been there before! and are there any specific techniques i should know when using the SP's ? if theres any other spots that people can suggest that'd be sweet :D hopefully i'll have some good :1fishing1: days ahead!

post-9937-1235520700_thumb.jpg

Edited by victorski

Ah sweet iceman, where abouts on this map ? don't wanna fish the wrong spot :(! cheers

post-9937-1235523529_thumb.jpg

The drain is where the Canada BAY is marked on the map and all along the golf course

If you want to target structure such as shopping trolleys, milk crates and car tyres then theres plenty of them down there. Just don't target them with your best lures otherwise you may add to the structure :1prop: .

There are some weedbeds within casting distance in Bayview park that hold some decent sized bream. Poppers worked along the top of them have been successful for me in the past.

Cheers.

Grrr, gave up on trying to embed a pic.

Here (Dobroyd Parade)is where I used to leg it for hours and hours on end before I started fishing from boats

Its amazing what u can catch there. At certain times of the year, flathead can be a real pest if its not your target species (and if it is,happy days then huh :1prop: ), but species that also frequent this spot are the bread and butter ones like trevally,bream,blackfish,whiting,tailor and the odd jew.

High tide is better but not absolutely essential, and if ur fishing really really early, before traffic starts to flow, throw some topwaters for some boofing fun :1prop:

• 1 year later...

Howdy everyone! wondering if i could seek some new advice :) i decided it was time to update my flick stick from a shimano cantana with shimano sedona 1000 to a new Pflueger Trion Tournament 7'2" 2PC and a Shimano Symetre 2500 FJ :D i was told to spool a little bit of mono then some braid, i was thinking either 4lb or 6lb fireline, what would you suggest? I've got some vanish flurocarbon for leader sorted :D

Unfortunetly i'm only land based and have been finding it increasingly difficult to catch a fish :( i have absolutely no idea about tides and when the best times to go fishing are, i was wondering if anyone could explain how it all works ? :) Ah and can anyone recommend some landbased spots, i've not had much luck in hen & chicken bay and was hoping there was somewhere a bit closer which might produce some fish! I was also considering renting a tinnie with a few mates, does anyone know where i could rent one from and roughly how much ? i live in coogee and have a car to get around! i've been getting a bit frustrated fishing on land and coming home without even a nibble :( any advice would be greatly appreciated :D thanks in advance!

Victor!

Victorski,

If you've got a car head down to Botany Bay - I cut my teeth learning soft plastics at Frenchman's Bay, Yarra Bay, Conwong Beach on the north side, anywhere along Brighton Le Sands in the middle and then Dolls Point (my favourite spot in the bay) at the end of Brighton Le Sands. Sand bottoms so no snag problems and great places to walk and cast.

Cheers

Thanks Swordfish :1prop: H&C bay is on the way back from my uni in parramatta so i can always drop in for a quick flick after most days of uni to practice!! would you be able to mark on a map where i should be fishing though :( i've never been there before! and are there any specific techniques i should know when using the SP's ? if theres any other spots that people can suggest that'd be sweet :D hopefully i'll have some good :1fishing1: days ahead!

post-9937-1235520700_thumb.jpg

There are some good spots near your Uni, u'll be surprised what you can pull out of the river between rydalmere and parramatta weir. Theres a lot of structure and a lot of good fish.

if ur eva back in the vaucluse area a nice (and one of the only) good sp spots imo is the yaht club on the other side of rosebay wharf. Theres a big drop off there and ive nailed all sorts of goodies. Shoot us a pm and ill tell you how 2 work it if ur still interested.