Great Day On Botany Bay 25-2-09

Penguin

Hi everyone,

Finally got my Quiny back from the repairers workshop after having my windscreen and frame

replaced after my untimely fall onto it at the end of last year.

Took my 70yr old uncle from overseas, and my mate Bill out for a fish on the bay today.

We hit the water at around 9am and went to spot A, and at spot A we stayed for the next few hours.

My uncle had the 1st and 2nd hook ups and his inexperience shone through, he got busted up on some

big fish that I called for Kings judging by the way the rod tip was pulsating up and down. :(

There were a few sporadic boils from time to time around our boat We managed 2 land a couple of

Salmon biggest going 64cm, and also lost a couple due to their aerial displays. My uncle then boats a nice 67cm Flatty.

Then I'm on big time and my line starts to peel but this only lasts about a minute then pop, the fish

is gone :ranting2: . A minute later Bill gets a big hook up. he fights the fish for 10 mins, then nothing

his line goes limp, the hook pulled. A couple of Trevs and Bream were then boated before the next

big fish hits Bills rod. This thing was a steam train and showed Bill no mercy for the next 30mins.

The rod tip was pulsating up and down, and I told Bill he had a good King. When we did eventually

see the King he wouldn't come out from under the boat, I couldn't get a net around him and he was

rubbing himself up and down the underside of the boat. I have never seen this before but I have read

about it, anyway out came the telescopic handled gaff, and he was eventually pulled on board. A very

nice 97-98cm Botany King :yahoo: . We got a few loud cheers from some workers who were watching

the fight from nearby. The next hour produced a few more big runs with no reward, we got a few Trevs

and a Flounder. None of our heavier outfits were even touched by anything other than a Banjo Shark.

We had a white boat with green bimini, three occupants on board come by and ask

us if we were doing any good. I told them there are a few Kings around up to around a metre. Judging

from there response I don't think they believed me. I'm just wondering if these persons are from FR :074:

When we decided to leave we saw bird activity and boils in the water all around the drums, looked

like Kings and Salmon to me. We tried a few lures and Sp's but they were moving too fast for us so we

continued on our way back to the ramp.

We are eating fish 2moro as is Bills extended family and the old pensioners next door have bagsed the

Sambos for their Thai fish cakes. :thumbup:

heres some pics

My uncle and a Sambo

post-1664-1235558381_thumb.jpg

Our catch

post-1664-1235558415_thumb.jpg

Bill and his pb King

post-1664-1235558439_thumb.jpg

Edited by penguin

nice fish there mate ,and good on you for getting your uncle stretched ,i bet he will remember his day on the bay,i fished the bay on sunday and we had fish busting up here and there and they too were moving very quickly,and they didnt seem to have a pattern to them just here and then over there ,we managed a couple of tailor from them before we moved on but i could see some of the boils were salmon,the tailor had prawns in them so that could explain why they were all over the joint

anyway congrats on the fish

cheers arman

:thumbup: well done penguin on getting a good result esp bill on landing a very good king on light gear. :thumbup:

we also had kings busting up next to our boat,we managed to hook up but lost it on a sp.

i could see that they were big kings by the size of their tales flapping out of the water.

Geeze Mate, sounds like you need a rest after that effort. :1prop:

The back has obviously heeled, and looks to have got a good workout.

Great day for you and your fellow fishos.

Maybe the kingy was getting romantic with your rig :biggrin2:

Look forward to the next report.

Cheers

Mariner

Nice fish Penguin.

What bait were you getting them on?

All fish were caught on peeled prawns and on pilly cubes.

That big King took a prawn as it was being retrieved back to the boat.

Heres another pic of the King after capture.

post-1664-1235616047_thumb.jpg

Edited by penguin

Great result Penguin!! Good to see your uncle getting amongst the fish. Tell me John, have you ever seen Botany Bay and the Harbour fish as well as they have this year? and how's my mate Mimo going these days?

Cheers

Byron :1fishing1:

Hes going well Byron and working hard, he says hello

penguin

Spot A didn't produce yesterday afternoon.

Put out a good berley trail.

Fished with live yakkas, dead squid, cutlefish and big green prawns peeled and unpeeled.

Fished other side of oil wharf as well when the tide changed.

Total catch 1 flathead, 1 black bream, one nice jacket and a couple trevors.

Then fished under Tom Uglys bridge till about 9 pm without a bite.

Spot A didn't produce yesterday afternoon.

Put out a good berley trail.

Fished with live yakkas, dead squid, cutlefish and big green prawns peeled and unpeeled.

Fished other side of oil wharf as well when the tide changed.

Total catch 1 flathead, 1 black bream, one nice jacket and a couple trevors.

Then fished under Tom Uglys bridge till about 9 pm without a bite.

Hey hookerbruce, did you fish your peeled prawns unweighted, and was the

current moving your berley trail towards the wharf?

penguin

Hey hookerbruce, did you fish your peeled prawns unweighted, and was the

current moving your berley trail towards the wharf?

penguin

Hi Penguin

YEP

fished west side with run out tide, then watts reef slack water, then east side with run in tide.

droping unweighted baits at the back of the boat on 2 kg outfits and feeding it out produced the few keepers

we managed.

Had a half hearted run on a live yackka which killed the bait but left no teeth marks, call it for a small king or salmon

Thanks for the reply and will try again probably monday arvo.

Hookerbruce