Out From Roseville Tuesday

saltrix

Left Roseville ramp at about 6am with a fellow fishraider companion.

post-3961-1236076008_thumb.jpg

Planned to pick up some squid around Grotto Point but the low tide and choppy conditions did not encourage us to stay too long so we picked up a dozen yakkas and down rigged them around the Dobroid bombie and inner North Head. Once around the corner outside nth head it was too choppy so we headed for the DY grounds that had been pretty good last week.

Today they were not firing and we only got 1 mowie and 1 flathead before heading up to Long Reef where we fished a good sounding of fish.

A large cuttlefish provided a bit of excitment before posing for a photo and going back in. I know they are good bait but they are a magnificent animal and they are great to see while diving so I couldnt kill one.

post-3961-1236076595_thumb.jpg

Caught a few nice sized sweep as we like eating them when they are this size( 31-34cm) and the frames make good crab bait and berly.

post-3961-1236076759_thumb.jpg

Hi Saltrix,

Yeah mate i fished MH on Tuesday for zip.

It was very dead on the fish front.

I agree about the cuttles as i the only one i every caught at Qarantine i let go to the dismay of the boats around me. Got a few looks like i was stupid or crazy to do that :1prop:

Cheers

Like the sunrise photo saltrix :thumbup:

Choppy conditions and you still managed a good feed. Well done mate. :thumbup:

Personally I'm not keen on sweep cooked normally, but now I smoke the fillets and they are fantastic! (Almost as nice as tailor)

I love watching cuttles change colour, They're amazing animals - intelligent too.

Cheers

Peter

Like the sunrise photo saltrix :thumbup:

Choppy conditions and you still managed a good feed. Well done mate. :thumbup:

Personally I'm not keen on sweep cooked normally, but now I smoke the fillets and they are fantastic! (Almost as nice as tailor)

I love watching cuttles change colour, They're amazing animals - intelligent too.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for the tip Peter, I have some fillets frozen with the skin on so I will try smoking them.

Regards Alan

Thanks for the tip Peter, I have some fillets frozen with the skin on so I will try smoking them.

Regards Alan

Alan, soak the fillets in a mixture of brown sugar and salt for 30-60 minutes

(Approx 3-4 tablespoons of salt and 2-3 tablespoons of brown sugar per litre of water)

Dry the fillets with kitchen paper

post-4381-1236135955_thumb.jpg

It depends on your smoker, but we smoke them for 10-15 minutes

post-4381-1236135964_thumb.jpg

Delicious!

Cheers

Peter

Nice haul Saltrix and well done on persevering with the choppy conditions. I have not tried sweep but have thrown back a bucket load of them. I will try then now. Thanks Peter als for the smoking tips.

Cheers :1fishing1: