Fishing For Sharks

capo dei capi

G'day mate,

Catching shark is not too much of an issue nowadays, you need to burley with fish frames and fish scraps to get that scent in the water, fish chunks as bait and make sure you have some heavy gear in case you hook a big one, If you plan on catching them steel wire traces is a must, you can catch them with mono but if they get too much slack they will bite you off. Cirlce hooks the best but be very carefull when you bring them in as thay can flex very quickly and can catch you off guard.

I would not suggest fishing of the beaches in sydney (due to the negative publicity) at the moment. I generally get large fish frames (filletted frames) tied to a rope and peg it to the sand so that the wash crashes on them which then realeases the burley.

I would be looking at using balloons to have the bait close to the surface 2-4mts down with either dead or live baits.

To subdue the sharks when you do pull them in have a small bat handy to hit them on the noggin or cable cutters to realease them which would be the best outcome for the shark and yourselves.

I can't stress enough though to be carefull as they are unpredictable, a good overhead or large spin outfit with plenty of line 50LB + would best suit.

Hope this helps

Jimmy

me and some of my mates want 2 try our luck at catchin a shark,,, just gathering any info any1 has regarding tackle and bait... we will be beach fishing...

thanks fishraiders

Might I ask, why ???

its not so much wanting 2 catch a shark... we've been down 2 a few of our fav spots and have been hooking up what we think are big sharks that we are unable 2 bring in the outfits so we've decided 2 gear up this time so what ever it is whether it be a massive stingray or a big jewie or a large shark we'll be able 2 know what it is that is tearing our gear 2 shreds... and to the person with the first reply thanks heaps but we'll be using the wire cutters we just want to know what it is... hopefully we snare a big jewie

we were targetin big jewies when we got snapped off

sorry for asking about the sharks evry1 dont worry about it

actually... i was just wondering is there a problem with fishing for sharks because if its illegal or "unethical' id like to know why, im not being a smart *** or anything i would just like to know if theres a problem

Appologies Pescatore.

Didnt mean to snap like that.

Just a little annoyed with the Shark thing at the moment.

Just want them to be left alone.

They have done nothing wrong, they are just doing what they have always done, and that is, feed. Sometimes we humans get in their way.

We are seeing more of them as a result of the massive improvement of the water quality over the recent years, and the better management of the fisheries.

Just dont see it as a reason for anglers to start catching them, then cutting them off with a mtr or so of wire left hanging out there mouth.

They are a magnificent beast, and one that i admire.

Wrinks

PS if you are after the elusive Jew, You can expect plenty of shark hook ups and bust offs. Just makes that big Jew that much better when you land them.

noo problem wrinks... i agree with u.. thats why i dont use wire trace and i use barbless hooks, whats happenin with the sharks at the moment is gettin blown right of proportion we are invading there territory and by doing so its a risk we are taking it isnt the sharks fault and furthermore most shark attacks are simply sharks wanting 2 no what we are its not evryday they see one of us,

dw bout it seriously im glad u sed something in the first place.. points taken,

I dont see why its unethical to catch a shark. If you wanna go shark fishing by all means do it! Use circle hooks and you wont gut hook them and if you wanna keep them for the table then do it! Its not illegal and they are great fun when hooked, whats the difference to keeping a shark as opposed to a 50lb jew?

Righto folks, we'll close this down now. Pescatore has asked for some advice and it has become a moral/ethic issue, which is not condoned on this site. Anyone who genuinely would like to help him out can send him a PM.

Regards

Hodgey