New Boat - Trophy

Terry

Thought it was about time I put up a couple of pictures of my new boat. Got it last September. It's a 1703cc Trophy with a 115hp Optimax, Smartcraft hooked into a Navman 6600 sounder/gps/plotter. So far very happy with it, great to fish from, very stable for light inshore work and will also pull skiers and tubes so kids are happy.

Cheers, Terry

post-127-1110783218_thumb.jpg

post-127-1110783239_thumb.jpg

post-127-1110783252_thumb.jpg

Nice boat... and great to see a great cart pulling it along!

Go the LR's

LW

36343[/snapback]

I have had a number of cars, gotta say that Discovery is one of the best I have ever owned, it is fantastic tow car, very stable, feels very safe.

Did you see the cover for my boat. Alex Robison (AR Marine Covers) did, a great job. This one "really" fits and the material is completely waterproof.

thats a top boat there mate :thumbup:    love it :1fishing1:

any pix of the layout inside the beast?

36298[/snapback]

Hi Matt,

Have got a couple of stock marketing ones and a couple prior to delivery. I should take some of it now with its set-up. They do a nice job, it all just "works". I had a bigger/heavier boat before but I much prefer this one as it is easier to launch and handle on my own or with my 12yr old.

Cheers, Terry

post-127-1110841051_thumb.jpg

post-127-1110841064_thumb.jpg

post-127-1110841072_thumb.jpg

post-127-1110841085_thumb.jpg

post-127-1110841094_thumb.jpg

post-127-1110841108_thumb.jpg

:drool: :drool: :drool:

awesome boat...........love the drink holders :1punk::drunk:

36379[/snapback]

I haven't seen a boat yet where the drink holders are deep enough, in any sort of chop/sea you stand a good chance of losing your amber ale over the side, which would be catastrophic! I find that they work much better to store sinkers, hooks & Sp's!!

Beautiful rig digger! Yanks still make better glass fishin boats than 95 per cent of Oz product!! Cheers Bombie

36394[/snapback]

The trouble is once you have had one its very hard to go elsewhere. The fit and finish is just first class. It is very well laid out obviously by keen fisho's. My only concerns are that it could do with more storage space and what tackle space there is, is located right next to the live well and that when full splashes water into the tackle storage area, which fills up and seems to get into Shimano water proof tackle boxes!!

Nice boat nothing like a newie.Is the first shot by chance near Seal Rocks

36423[/snapback]

Very, very close Big Bob, however, it is land locked on the inside opposite Big Gibber, it is Shelly Beach at Myall Lake about 2km away from the Sea. I broke my drought of first Bream on SP's there at Christmas, what a frustrating process, smallist bream ever!

post-127-1110859728_thumb.jpg

post-127-1110859805_thumb.jpg

post-127-1110859816_thumb.jpg

If you went to the boat show in Sydney last August you would have seen it as it was the one on the Avante Marine Trophy stand. It's a leap of faith buying something like that without seeing it and I insisted that if after a boat test I was unhappy :thumbdown: then they would return my deposit and I would look for something else.

Day of the test I arrive at the ramp with a couple of rods :1fishing1:, you should have seen the look on the face :1yikes: of David Smith from Avante. So we proceed out through the heads at a steady 25knts in usual harbour chop & swell. Boat dosen't miss a beat and its nice and stable, very forgiving to trim regardless of where you are standing.

We motor right up to a surface school of salmon and proceed to land half a dosen. In the meantime David has arranged for one of the boating scribes to do a boat test after my test. He is out there with us shooting photo's of the boat with me landing fish.

David spent the whole morning laughing, he said had never had anybody fish :1fishing1: on a boat test before, I said I wanted to see if the bloody thing worked, after all the boat was for catching fish! :biggrin2::biggrin2: Come all that, how could I not buy it! :thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers, Terry

Edited by Terry

Guest Jocool

Thats an absolutely brilliant boat Terry! :thumbup:

Regarding your well splashing water...Could you perhaps run a line of hatch seal tape around the perimeter of the well to try and contain the water? I think that may help, and wouldnt be too pricey. Pick it up at Bias for about $10.

Thats an absolutely brilliant boat Terry! :thumbup:

Regarding your well splashing water...Could you perhaps run a line of hatch seal tape around the perimeter of the well to try and contain the water? I think that may help, and wouldnt be too pricey. Pick it up at Bias for about $10.

37340[/snapback]

Hi JoCool,

Great minds think alike. Have done that and its certainlt better. Problem showing itself now :1badmood: is that the area does not drain quick enough (2 small drain holes) so I went to drill some more and bigger holes but cannot get drill down into area :risata: . Need to get myself a much longer drill bit or smaller drill :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Cheers, Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Terry,

I'm currently looking around for a new boat and have also been quite taken with the Trophy so was delighted when I stumbled across this site (which is very good BTW) and saw your post, congratulations on the purchase. Hope you don't mind a couple of questions.

My major concern is with the family coping with the centre console/fishing biased setup in non-fishing use, any problems crop up so far in this respect?

Do you have a bimini for shelter?

Happy with the 115hp outboard? Its been suggested I could go to a 90hp but I think that may be false economy if I'm looking to do some light offshore work.

thanks in advance

Darryl

Hi Terry,

I'm currently looking around for a new boat and have also been quite taken with the Trophy so was delighted when I stumbled across this site (which is very good BTW) and saw your post, congratulations on the purchase. Hope you don't mind a couple of questions.

My major concern is with the family coping with the centre console/fishing biased setup in non-fishing use, any problems crop up so far in this respect?

Do you have a bimini for shelter?

Happy with the 115hp outboard? Its been suggested I could go to a 90hp  but I think that may be false economy if I'm looking to do some light offshore work.

thanks in advance

Darryl

40245[/snapback]

Hi Darryl,

Been away and only just loged in, sorry for delay. Easy bit first, I have no bimini. I thought it would get in way of rods and just... get in the way. I tend to fish early morning thru to mid day, a light rain jacket and sun cream together with a couple of Columbia Bonehead shirts has suited us fine. We have spent 10 days away with it camping and sking etc and it was great.

I came out of a boat with a 250hp 5.7lt Merc so I wasn't exepcting much performance wise, but got to say the 115 opti is just great, easy to use/own and runs on a sniff of gas. It has Smartcraft via my Navman 6600 and GPS plus a 7200 DSC VHF, so just perfect for light offshore, very stable and gives great sense of safety.

Best thing is that the fibreglass is so well moulded it is really easy to care for. I have a rainwater tank set-up so I bring it home, flush the Opti and hose it out! What does the Guinness ad say...Brilliant!

Cheers, Terry