Massive Tailor At South West Rocks And Some Sort Of Tuna In Phuket

f1sh3rm4n

a few mates and myself recently got back from a 3 week long trip partying in thailand. while we were there we thought we would give one of the local fishing charters a go. we chose to go trolling all day to try and catch a sail fish, because thats what the brochure said.. werent we wrong.

we trolled for 9 hours and only caught some sort of small tuna, about 20 of them

post-9477-1237521266_thumb.jpg

any way we decided when we got back from thailand, a few of us keen fishermen would go up to swr for a week of fishing to get us back down to earth from our trip overseas.

the first night there we went and fished the gutter on smokey cape beach

we got there about an hour before sunset and the weather was perfect hardly any wind and the tide coming in .

we rigged up our lines and cast them out. as soon as the sun started to set the action was on..

within a 45 minute period four of the big rods had been smashed by something big, it was one after another, rod tips bending horizontal. unfortunately 3 of the hits resulted in the hooks being bitten clean of, not too sure what it was, couldve been big tailor or a shark. luckly the fourth fod the fish stayed on, and after the ensuing 5 minute battle my mate had landed a 4ft shovel nose shark. we quickly released her back and rebaited.

we got a few decent hits but the bites quickly dried up after that amazing spell. with the bites drying up we diced to call it a night and head back to camp for a few cold ones.

the next day we ventured out to hat head. we got there and there were people spinning for big pelagics, without any luck so we thought we would try and fish for a few bream for lunch and dinner. after a great four hour session he had a heap of good sized bream and silver trevally, enough food to keep us fed for the next 3 days

post-9477-1237521301_thumb.jpg

the next night we thought we would give the gutter ago again as it provided the good on the first night. so once again we got there an hour or so before dusk and casted out lines out. and once again as soon as it hit dusk the fish were on. the first fish landed was a good 35cm bream caught of a mullet strip on a snapper snatcher rig.

after that bream we were all getting good hits but no hook ups. then finally i managed to set a hook in one of them and bang it went off. after a short fight i had landed a big greenback which measure to 65cms not too sure how much it weighed but it was the biggest tailor i had seen . quickly chucked her on the esky and rebaited.

within 10 minutes of throwing the line out bang i was on again, i could tell straight away how it was fighting that it was another big greenback, except this one took a little bit longer to bring in. once i got her in i realised this one was huge it was 75cms long and weighed an absolute ton. i made the stupid mistake to sticking my thumb into her mouth to try and retrieve my hook and learn t quickly never to do that agian

after that the bites dried up and the wind picked up so we decided to pack up and sink a few beers.

post-9477-1237521938_thumb.jpg

post-9477-1237522024_thumb.jpg

we fished the gutter a few more times that week using the tailor head as bait (as we had been told by the locals it is an awesome bait for big jews of the beach), with no luck at all but we were stoaked with what we had caught already

Edited by f1sh3rm4n

realised this one was huge it was 75cms long and weighed an absolute ton. i made the stupid mistake to sticking my thumb into her mouth to try and retrieve my hook and learn t quickly never to do that agian

Yikes ! :1yikes: Your lucky to still have your thumb attached! They don't call them choppers for nothing!

Great report though. They're whopper greenbacks! :thumbup:

hey man

which charter was it so i know which one not to go on LOL

i'm going to Phuket very soon and want to do some fishing while there ;)

not too sure about the charter company name, goign back a few weeks now. but my advice is dont choose one which is just trolling all day

they have a few options to choose like reef fishing and deep sea aswell

Thats a Huge feed nice tailors did you get there weight/lenght???

their lenght were 65 and 75 cms each, not too sure of their weight, but i would estimete the bigger one to b around 2.5 3 kgs maybe. they had a fair bit of girth to them

Thats a Huge feed nice tailors did you get there weight/lenght???

hey they measures 65 and 75cms, not too sure about their weight, but i would estimete the bigger one to be around 2.5/3 kgs. they had a fair bit of girth to them

Hi dinos22,

Also just back from Phucket.

Went out fishing for sails but only caugth Tuna. We did however rasie 1 sail around the 30kg mark that would not leave the bird teaser alone.

The charter company that I went with name was Sinraya Chartered fishing (MOBILE 081 397 3071) which is out of Chalong Bay as are most good charter boats.

The gear was good all TICA 30&50 2 speed reels with 15 & 30 kg rods.

Very clean and tidy boat with a good crew who could speak some english.

I have photos but as this is my first post on this site I can seem to load them up.

We troller around an island called Koh Racha Noi, the water depth gose from sand to over 1000ft plus in about 100 mrts form island, reminds me of Fish rock at SWR (love that place)

The trip was 3,500.00 baht which included transport from Club Adamaran in Phuket, gear and great lunch, this works out to be about $150 aussie dollars (transport return was worth about 600baht or $30 aussie dollars.

We were on the boat for about 9 hours.

With the holiday peak season almost finished and world down turn you should be able to get charters for less, trouble is most charters wont leave the dock unless you pay for the hole hire of the boat at around (30,000 bahts).

Chalong Bay is agreat place to see all the food and vegie markets and also seafood, there is heaps of it for sale each morning by the local fishos.

Phucket has a game fishing comp in November, I have sent the club an email to see if there is any boats for charter or one that I could share as I think that this place is an untapped game fishing location.

Here are some of the other Charters that I look at but could not get on unless I hired the hole boat as nobody was around :1fishing1: .

Wahoo Charters +66 (o)76281 510 or www.wahoo.ws (this would be the pick of all the charters)

Sommai Charters 076280310. about 2,500 bart

Prasert Seri Fishing tours . about 2,500 bart

Aloha tours 66 076381 220

Hope this help you or any other raider who is heading over there for hols.

Cheers

Bluewter

Yes love Thailand. Here is an old post from when swordie and I ventured up there one time.

You are correct Wahoo Charters is THE one to go with

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...thailand+phuket

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...thailand+phuket

Need to go back there yet again :) and soon

Cheers mrsswordfisherman