Kings Wising Up

humesy

Took a mate out this morning in search of kingies. Managed 4 squid and bought a few (3 beautiful green eyes) from home after some successful squidding this week.

Hope were high but results in the harbour were low. Tried 5/6 known spot for nada. Managed a decent sized tailor when downrigging over the wreck of the Currajong. Set down jewie lines for low tide while catching rays and chewing the fat. Nada again and my mate had to bail. Tried my more tried and tested spot in middle harbour and finally managed to raise the rat kings. They weren't in a hungry mood though. They played the old game of nosing the yakka and following the lure to the boat. One of my live squid got hit and I regretted not putting a stinger treble on as he didn't hook up. The boat next to me said they were only interested in the 4lb line so i was surprised when my strip on an 80lb leader got hit. The kingie was only 60cm but gave a good account of himself. There seems to have been a heap of rats this summer and I haven't managed a keeper yet. Hopefully the big boys will come out to play in the next 2 months.

Fairly long slow day but a cracka of a morning though. The type that really hurt when you are stuck at work, as has been the case lately. It was great to see the sun come up over the heads.

Edited by humesy

Humesy,

Mate it is tough going at the moment thats for sure. Every sydney harbour kingfish junkie is feeling the pain!

It has been a very odd season thats for sure.

Keep it up and they are bound to show up soon.

Me personally, I havent bothered chasing kings properly in the past few outings.

Edited by VA911

Andrew,

Forget the kings mate its time to target jewies.

From now on that is what matters - quest for a bigger version.

Pretty sick of catching schoolies and dropping bigger ones to obsticles.

Cheers

I thought it was just me not catching legal kings.

I am yet to hit a legal king this season and have lost a couple of thumpers due to too shallow waters.

I am beginning to wonder why I bother getting up at 4am anymore.

Hope we all get some luck soon.

Simon

After the Middle Harbour reports lately, Andrew looks like you'll get stuck right into the Autumn jew mate.

I haven't been up there since we had our last session, remember, when the kingfish were trying to jump into your burley bucket......... What's this wisen up bit, Andrew, are kingfish growing a moustache or something :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

After the Middle Harbour reports lately, Andrew looks like you'll get stuck right into the Autumn jew mate.

I haven't been up there since we had our last session, remember, when the kingfish were trying to jump into your burley bucket......... What's this wisen up bit, Andrew, are kingfish growing a moustache or something :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Byron,

Those kings are getting wiser or fussier. In December they seemed to be smashing anything. Yesterday, they played their tricks.

With you (and Zenman) on the autumn jew. Tis certainly the season, and my favourite time of year. :biggrin2:

Hey Andrew,

I was out on Sunday too in the main harbour. Same for us, I got one king about 40cm's on my 10lb line and he didn't even fight! Squid came quick and easy though.

Jewies are on the cards for me the next few months for me too.

Let me know if you want company for an evening session!

Cheers, Dave