Help Before 5pm

Wantingaboat

Hi All,

Going to install rod holders in the tinny today and was after any advice one has on the best location for these. I want to put 4 in which are flush mounted 30 degree ones.

I have put a pic below, sorry to reuse, of my tinny for your information.

As it says in the title that i finish work at 5pm and will be going home to start to drill so any advice before then would be great.

Cheers Mike.

post-9512-1237783252_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wantingaboat

Yeah thats what i was thinking. I think it would be handy to have them near the seats. It has two thwart seats, obviously one at front and one at back. I have seen a few oin other peoples boats that seem to be on a slight angle that would make the rod tip outside the girth of the boat. Has anyone done this and how come?

Gunnel rod holders are for when you are fishing so you want the tips outsid ethe line of teh hull so your line doesn't rub on side of boat.

If you want rod storage do it parralel with gunnel or a vertical storage.

Depends on the type of fishing you do as well as if you troll you will want a couple at the back facing rearwards and outwards but if dottom dropping you want them spread around the boat angled outwards ( pull all rods in before coming into dock)

If flicking plastics then you probably just want gunnel rod stowage and use one rod or have vertical rod stowage at transom out f the way

Use a hole saw don't butcher it up for installing them

PHew

Made your deadline by 3 minutes - hope you didn't skive off early

Edited by pelican

Yeah thats what i was thinking. I think it would be handy to have them near the seats. It has two thwart seats, obviously one at front and one at back. I have seen a few oin other peoples boats that seem to be on a slight angle that would make the rod tip outside the girth of the boat. Has anyone done this and how come?

on my boat I have the holders at the back of the boat pointing straight back... and the ones in the middle of the boat at a slight angle just to keep the lines from tangling as well as being handy when seated

Much appreciated all. Just so you know that i do take notice of you all i promise not to rush it and i plan on having the ones at the back facing straight back and the ones in the middle at a slight angle. I would like some rod storage for when they are not in use but cant figure out how its possible anywhere. Ideally it would be along the sides however it has these pretty useless side pockets which get in the way of that happening. I would love to rip on side of these out so it can be used for storage but not sure..... Anyway off i go to drill.

one thing i dont know if you are aware of is the galvanic corrosion between diss-similar metals....

you have to put a barrier using something like duralac between the different metals be that screws or ss rod holders...

this thread was a good one and pel is on the money as usual with his response..

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...amp;hl=galvanic

hope this helps...cheers...steve....

Thanks for the heads up roosterman but wannafish aleady dropped into my work, dropped of a drill bit and talked me through most of it. I already had some duralac so used that between the metals. Its pretty savage stuff and gets everywhere. I think i will wear gloves next time as i had to use petrol to get it off my hands. I googled duralac solvents and there didnt seem to be any. I still have it on various parts of my arms but these are covered at work so ok. I did hear thats its pretty lethal stuff so best be more careful next time.

Thanks for the heads up roosterman but wannafish aleady dropped into my work, dropped of a drill bit and talked me through most of it. I already had some duralac so used that between the metals. Its pretty savage stuff and gets everywhere. I think i will wear gloves next time as i had to use petrol to get it off my hands. I googled duralac solvents and there didnt seem to be any. I still have it on various parts of my arms but these are covered at work so ok. I did hear thats its pretty lethal stuff so best be more careful next time.

yeh it sure isnt user friendly...

but then again all good stuff is pretty leathal to use... and most of the great stuff is banned these days.....

glad its all sorted...looks good....

have you thought about the rail clearance for the mid mounted ones...

i would have them as you said at an angle outwards up to 45deg dep on usage...

cheers...steve.....