Birkenhead Point

gtra5750

Theres some monster bream at the marina at birkenhead .. mainly coz u cant fish there.

Used to know a guy who worked at the marina and he reckons you can hand feed some of the big bream

Oh really? I didnt know you couldnt fish at Birkenhead.

Would have been good to drop the Mrs. there for shopping then hop off for a few casts.

You can't fish there anymore. :( Secuirity are right onto it.

Cracker of a spot though.

I used to live up the road from there when I was growing up. I remember when it was the old Dunlop tyre factory. I also remember when Birkenhead was built.

In the early days you could fish there without a drama. We used to spend every daylight hour ( & some nights!) fishing it in school holidays.

Our catches for just a couple of kids with handlines were incredible.

I'm going now. I'm feeling old!! :wacko:

Cheers,

Grant

Is this restriction land based only? Would it be possible to electric motor along and cast a few plastics at them?

I can't see why not though they don't like it one bit. Not sure if they have a legal exclusion zone around the marinas now. I've been out of Sydney for a couple of years.

You may get soaked with the fire hoses by security. I kid you not, they've done it before.

Cheers,

Grant.

we fish it from the boat until they spot us and ask actually tell us to leave guarnteed every time then its up to you weather you put on a show or leave quietly same as every marina they make it tough for fishos but is better if you just bite your tounge and move to the next one till you get kicked off that to :1prop: plenty of them around i find it easier to hit mariners first up real early in the morning you get abit more peace then turn to targeting structure when theres movement in the bunker your out there to enjoy the day not to have a blow up with rent a cops

mick

i might actually look into the legal side of it been meaning to for a long time just been lazy be interesting to see if it is legal to fish marinas or not

and yes theres some cracking bream just waiting for your plastic in there

I can't see why not though they don't like it one bit. Not sure if they have a legal exclusion zone around the marinas now. I've been out of Sydney for a couple of years.

You may get soaked with the fire hoses by security. I kid you not, they've done it before.

Cheers,

Grant.

Maybe its my immature/idiotic side coming out but i would find that hilarious. Jewhunter i take it that you have experienced the hosing first hand. Birkenhead is on the way out to Clark Island for me so could stop for a quick go on the way out and way back in. My girlfriend pesters me for fish but i provide none. I need to improve my hunter gatherer skills and the marina maybe my spot. Mike.

i know some very good catches have been made during tournaments by 'leccying the perimeter and floating lightly weighted plastics against the pontoons.

The security dont miss a beat. Dont blame the guys, just doing their job. I suppose managements concern is over rubbish and hooks etc in a very public place. Given the state of Birkenhead ferry wharf its understandable.

Jewhunter, do you think the place is alive with fish because of its location or because of the manmade structure?

• 4 years later...

Who owns the walkway you should be able to fish off the railing.I can understand the marina being off limits but according to fisheries the marina is not a marine sanctuary this is some sign the marina have erected and employed guards to move people on.I think if some one stood their ground they would have no legal right to remove you.

Wow it's like an aquarium - great pic.

I was staying in a unit near Darling Harbour for my first couple of weeks in Sydney and it pained me to see the size of some of the bream swimming so freely around there as well - I was told there's no fishing around there either - by boat or land?