Broken Bay Fad (21.03.09)

cheezndave

Hello fellow raiders,

Picked up the new (2nd hand) boat thursday and planned to hit the FADs of Botany Bay first up Saturday morning.

post-9004-1237885645_thumb.jpg

Got late word Friday arvo that 2 of the 3 FADs of Botany had gone missing so checked the fisheries website and fisheries confirmed that that was the case.

Late change of plans and it was decided we'd attempt to catch some dolphin fish off Broken Bay.

Got some coordinates for a couple of live bait spots whilst fisheries website provided the coordinates for both the Broken Bay FAD and Terrigal FAD.

Given we've only fished the Pittwater/ Brooklyn area a handful of times, the coordinates worked a treat and within half hour, the live bait tank was full.

Ventured out to the Broken Bay FAD and got amongst five other boats on the drift.

Soon after we arrived most of the other boats i believe took off and headed towards the Terrigal FAD.

If anyone fished the Terrigal FAD over the weekend, i'd appreciate some feedback.

Anyways, had the FAD to ourselves most of the day and managed 4 x keepers (Dolphin Fish), 5 lost, and 3 undersize were let go.

Had some luck on fresh yellowtail fillets and also pillys.

The biggest fish caught went 70cm and was caught using a live yakka.

During the course of the day, the dollies were following the boat but didnt want to touch the baits.

Might have to mix it up next time with some lures.

Cheers,

Dave

That's a nice looking boat there Dave. Shame about the missing FADs - still you got amoungst them anyway. Great way to christen the new boat :thumbup:

Any pics of the dollies?

Cheers,

Cam

Unfortunately only had the work mobile, crappy camera on it.

By the time i got home i was going to take a photo but the fish had lost all their colour and appeal.

They almost turned grey in colour.

Next time i'll ensure i take my digital camera.

G'day cheezndave,

I have had some pretty good results on the dollies by trolling lures past the fads, hard body deep divers about 14 to 18cm. The dollies will normally hit them for the first few passes then they wise up. Thats when I change to baits, either livies of pillies, and usually manage a good result.

Hello fellow raiders,

Picked up the new (2nd hand) boat thursday and planned to hit the FADs of Botany Bay first up Saturday morning.

post-9004-1237885645_thumb.jpg

Got late word Friday arvo that 2 of the 3 FADs of Botany had gone missing so checked the fisheries website and fisheries confirmed that that was the case.

Late change of plans and it was decided we'd attempt to catch some dolphin fish off Broken Bay.

Got some coordinates for a couple of live bait spots whilst fisheries website provided the coordinates for both the Broken Bay FAD and Terrigal FAD.

Given we've only fished the Pittwater/ Brooklyn area a handful of times, the coordinates worked a treat and within half hour, the live bait tank was full.

Ventured out to the Broken Bay FAD and got amongst five other boats on the drift.

Soon after we arrived most of the other boats i believe took off and headed towards the Terrigal FAD.

If anyone fished the Terrigal FAD over the weekend, i'd appreciate some feedback.

Anyways, had the FAD to ourselves most of the day and managed 4 x keepers (Dolphin Fish), 5 lost, and 3 undersize were let go.

Had some luck on fresh yellowtail fillets and also pillys.

The biggest fish caught went 70cm and was caught using a live yakka.

During the course of the day, the dollies were following the boat but didnt want to touch the baits.

Might have to mix it up next time with some lures.

Cheers,

Dave