Vhf Radio Course

bullfrog

Unfortunately I missed out on the last couple of Fishraider courses but really need to get my VHF license.

I came across this online course from a boating magazine (Qld based), so I am wondering if the course & certificate is only valid for Queensland.

http://www.vhfradioonline.com/

Is the MROVCP valid throughout Australia?. If so, at a course cost of $29 & exam fees of around $50, this seems quite reasonable. The added bonus is that study can be spread over a few weeks or even months if there are severe time constraints to study.

Has anyone done this online course?, if so, were you happy with it?

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately I missed out on the last couple of Fishraider courses but really need to get my VHF license.

I came across this online course from a boating magazine (Qld based), so I am wondering if the course & certificate is only valid for Queensland.

http://www.vhfradioonline.com/

Is the MROVCP valid throughout Australia?. If so, at a course cost of $29 & exam fees of around $50, this seems quite reasonable. The added bonus is that study can be spread over a few weeks or even months if there are severe time constraints to study.

Has anyone done this online course?, if so, were you happy with it?

Thanks in advance.

The MROVCP is a National Qualification and so is valid.

The Australian Boating College is a reputable organisation, so I would be happy going with the online course.

Having said that I took my test at a tuition centre at the Syndey Fish Markets which was a full days course (face to face) with the test in the afternoon. I took the MROCP test which is VHF and HF radios (bascially the same course but a sligghtly longer test). I can't remember the name of the organisation, but it was a great training session and taking the test immediately after 5-6 hours of face to face tuition certainly made passing it easy! The instructors focussed on the areas that always appear in the tests and skimmed the rest of the course book.

If there are more that would like to take this course ?? Donna may organise another one :biggrin2:

It would depend on numbers of course as this takes a lot of organisation.

Cheers Swordfisherman

Hmmm that does look interesting...does anyone know whether you need to have a VHF radio equipped boat to get the qualification? I would be keen on getting it for the future!

Cheers Et

You can get your license any time and it comes in handy when you are on some one elses boat who has the right equipment.

The course is very rewarding and you may even be able to save some ones life in an emergency when you know the right way to operate a radio.

Cheers Swordfisherman

You can get your license any time and it comes in handy when you are on some one elses boat who has the right equipment.

The course is very rewarding and you may even be able to save some ones life in an emergency when you know the right way to operate a radio.

Cheers Swordfisherman

i have just installed a vhf on my boat and would be down for the course.

i would like to do the course face to face rather reading the info off the internet.

if there isnt one offered on fish raider soon, i will end up doing one through the coastguards in a couple of months time

Hey raiders....i have been thinking of purchasing a vhf radio as well and thanks to you guys i now know i need a licence to operate it!.... i have always had 27 meg and have started going out wide more often in search of marlin etc so i was wondering do more people communicate with there 27 meg or vhf when fishing wide? Ive been assuming vhf as it is more powerful? Sorry for 100 questions but does vhf and 27 meg require a "base station" type thing or can 2 boats communicate betwween each other even if 500 miles out to sea? And yes i will be doing the course as well...the online version sounds good to me...cheers for any help....Paul

depending on date and time I will be in for the course....

This course takes a lot of organising ,if you are serious and want in ?? make the effort and you will be well rewarded as this license is for life :biggrin2: .

Cheers Swordfisherman

This course takes a lot of organising and it would be over 1 full Saturday and one half Sat for the exam,if you are serious and want in ?? make the effort and you will be well rewarded as this license is for life :biggrin2: .

mrsswordie

which course is going to be offered?

Marine Radio Operator’s Certificate of Proficiency (MROCP)

or the Marine Radio Operator’s VHF Certificate of Proficiency (MROVCP)

also the cost of the course?

thanks!

This course takes a lot of organising and it would be over 1 full Saturday and one half Sat for the exam,if you are serious and want in ?? make the effort and you will be well rewarded as this license is for life :biggrin2: .

mrsswordie

Donna / Stewy, depending on the dates, I will be a starter ( only get every second weekend off !)

Cheers, Russ.

Depending on location/date, we have had tentative expressions of interest from the following:

nsaykali

yarraone

Sunnyboy1

szakacs

samcat

Tuffy

GregL

abuman

Anyone else interested? Cost, venue, date etc would be forthcoming once a suitable number of interested parties was achieved. This is an ideal opportunity to learn all about VHF radios and procedures, and to put 'a face to the name' of fellow Raiders :thumbup: The two points to remember from Mrs Swordie's posts are:

This course takes a lot of organising and it would be over 1 full Saturday and one half Sat for the exam,if you are serious and want in ?? make the effort and you will be well rewarded as this license is for life

I will organise another course if I get 10 people minimum

Post your response here if you wish to be invlolved please

Cheers

Hodgey

which course is going to be offered?

Marine Radio Operator's Certificate of Proficiency (MROCP)

or the Marine Radio Operator's VHF Certificate of Proficiency (MROVCP)

also the cost of the course?

thanks!

The course delivered will be MROCP. It will be delivered by 2 invigilators with many years of experience.

The course is very interesting and I have organised 2 courses for raiders resulting in 100% pass rate. Over 40 raiders already have this certificate including myself (the only female so far).

Here are the links to the reports on the 2008 course.

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...14&hl=mrocp

Cheers mrsswordie

Guest abuman

Yeah this sounds like a good thing.. I will travel down with yarraone as long as I have started a new job prospect...

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I have been in touch with Bob and Harry (invigilators). They are happy to deliver another course. I have found a suitable venue.

I will be posting the dates for the course soon.

WATCH THIS SPACE

mrsswordie

sorry guys, im out, i have booked the course for next weekend with the sydney coastal patrol, since this opportunity has come up before a course date was set here.. :( sorry.