A Flick With Swordie!

Hi raiders, went for a session with stewy ( swordfisherman) today hoping stewy could teach me a couple of things about using soft plastics and hardbodies for bream, flatties and jew etc.

What he taught me was that I am crap! :074:

I managed to convince stewy to try my area around wisemans ferry figuring that there is no better place to get a handle on things than in your own back yard and I have to say that a couple of hours out on the water chucking lures with someone that knows what they are doing taught me more than I have ever learned fishing by myself.

Thanks to stewy for a great day even though it, ER, I wasnt very succesful.

We arrived at wisos just before daylight and launched the boat just as the first rays of light were hitting the river. conditions were perfect except for one thing that neither of us expected - the water was like chocolate!

Stewy assures me that the water clarity had alot to do with our, ER, my, poor effort.

Stewy did manage about 6 bream on blades while I managed a doughnut!! Oh and a tree on my first cast with a new blade - DOH!

On a serious note I am sure that after spending time with stewy on the water I will definately break the duck on bream in the not to distant future.

heres a couple of pics.

post-8689-1238413898_thumb.jpg

post-8689-1238413950_thumb.jpg

You are far from crap Pete and your casting skills are great,even us so called experts throw em in the trees.

It was a real shame the water was so discoloured and I have no idea why it was like that ?

Your company was great as was the coffee and next week we will see if we can remedy your bream fishing conquests on lures.

Cheers Stewy

Its all about getting out there and having a go you get better with practice. :thumbup:

A bit of good company enhances the day as well.

Every one who fishes has come home empty at one time or another.

I try to make a point of coming home with a little bit more knowledge each time I venture out.

Sounds like a good day out anyway.

Looking outside I have just pulled the pin on todays outing :thumbdown:

Hi Pete

That was terrific of Stewie to go out with you & show you the ropes in your own back yard - it is all too easy to 'try it for 5 mins, get sick of it & go back to bait' when on your own. Eventually, I stopped taking bait out with me, only sps/lures & eventually i started to catch fish (flatties at first, but now bream too.) :biggrin2:

hehehe The old 'lure in the tree trick'!!! You should have seen me in the GF the other day - I caught everything except fish! Usually, I put this down to being tired towards the end of a hard day's fishing ...... but this started early, like 1hr into the comp! :1badmood: Wait till you try fly fishing! You wouldn't believe a fly could wrap itself around a blade of grass or branch about 15 times in the space of a nanosecond! :wacko: Always when you are about to make the 'perfect cast'! :mad3:

hhhhmmm - everyone up here was paddling away from the clear water in the lake during the comps, to try & find the dirty water!! :wacko: Weird, eh??

CHeerio & more joy next time! :)

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Sounds like another good morning on the water with Swordy, and what better teacher to have. A bit of bad luck on the donut, but next time you will literally brain them into the boat. With Swordy as your guide you cant go wrong.

This is what raiders is all about, someone that knows a heck of a lot about a particular style of fishing, whether is be sp's, hardbodies, lures or even bait, giving someone with little or no knowledge at all a bit of tuition and good company. It is this type of generosity that sets us apart from others. Keep it up guys.

Good one Stewy.

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanager

Hi Pete

...........That was terrific of Stewie to go out with you & show you the ropes in your own back yard - it is all too easy to 'try it for 5 mins, get sick of it & go back to bait' ............

Roberta

Hi Roberta I reckon Stewy and Pete did well under the circumstances pulling fish out of dirty water like that with bits of metal.....I couldn't agree more Roberta about anyone going back to bait after five minutes of sitting around in the mud.... If I was up there in a chair out of the way, I'd have a few big squid tucked away in my back pockets, and even if I didn't lose a bait on the jew, at least the rest of the squid in my back pockets would cover up for being a long way from home and the way I felt in my pants. :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Nice time with the master T'n'K.

There are some people who could dig a hole, fill it with water, wait 15 minutes, and catch a fish in it. Stewy's one of them :biggrin2:

You'll break the duck no worries mate. Just leave Stewy at home so he doesn't flog all the good spots before you can get a lure near them. Was he working the leccy motor so you got 2nd shot everywhere ?:074:

Cheers, Slink

Nice time with the master T'n'K.

There are some people who could dig a hole, fill it with water, wait 15 minutes, and catch a fish in it. Stewy's one of them :biggrin2:

You'll break the duck no worries mate. Just leave Stewy at home so he doesn't flog all the good spots before you can get a lure near them. Was he working the leccy motor so you got 2nd shot everywhere ?:074:

Cheers, Slink

You have obviously fished with stewy before! :074:

don't worry abouy the blade in the tree, all of us has done that before!

why just last sun i threw my only blade across the river into the tree :thumbdown:

damn things just cast too well :074:

most important things to remember when luring for bream is two words

SLOW and PAUSE trust me 99% of bream strikes come when the lure is stationary

they are just like that :biggrin2:

kael

Pete,

I'm a bit like you I think having never had any bream catches on plastics so after seeing Stewies reports about hard bodies in the Parra river I thought I'd give it a go. Off to the tackle shop & a quick swap of $70 for 1/2 dozen lures & away I went. For my first ever effort with hb's I tried under the Figtree Bridge on Friday evening on a rising tide. After about an hour I hooked up on a nice 15cm bream & 10 miutes later a 20cm flattie. I was stoked to have landed 2 fish with my first try. There is a lot of guys on this site that give great advice & Swordie rates right at the top of that list giving advice & his time freely. Stick with it & I'm sure you'll improve on that first effort. You might want to try hb's too because if I can hook up anyone can.

Paul

Pete,

I'm a bit like you I think having never had any bream catches on plastics so after seeing Stewies reports about hard bodies in the Parra river I thought I'd give it a go. Off to the tackle shop & a quick swap of $70 for 1/2 dozen lures & away I went. For my first ever effort with hb's I tried under the Figtree Bridge on Friday evening on a rising tide. After about an hour I hooked up on a nice 15cm bream & 10 miutes later a 20cm flattie. I was stoked to have landed 2 fish with my first try. There is a lot of guys on this site that give great advice & Swordie rates right at the top of that list giving advice & his time freely. Stick with it & I'm sure you'll improve on that first effort. You might want to try hb's too because if I can hook up anyone can.

Paul

Well done Paul and now you have the hang of it,repeat that process and the bigger fish will come along for you.

Try different times of the day and tides and keep a small log and you will see a pattern emerge and you will catch plenty.

The best advice is get to know your spot well and you will consistently catch fish.

The rest is easy.

Cheers Stewy