16 Ft Boat

jay_stylz

hey everyone just wondering would it be safe to take my seafarer venus to the 60 meter point just outside sydney harbour? i have the life jackets , flares , radio, and the v sheet also on board ?? ill inlcude photos would be greatfull for your help as im new to owning my own boat post-10292-1238466071_thumb.jpg

Hey Jay, you really need to pick your days outside Sydney.

The fact that your asking this makes me question your confidence. Considering your new to boating i suggest you take time to familiarise yourself with your boats capabilities and start to get your sea legs.

Sydney Harbour can be a mess outside if the wind turns and unless your prepared mentally i would recommend it.

Edited by BillyD

but is the boat capable of it?

Hey mate, I'm pretty sure your going to get the same advice from everybody here. Sure you can take a boat that size outside the heads, just make VERY sure you know what the weather is doing BEFORE it happens. Lets face it, if they cancel the Manly Jetcats when its gets rough, imagine what it would be like coming through the heads in your boat. Food for thought.

Cheers, Tobe

yeh very ture hey was goin to go out with some of my dads mates down to five wollongong off shore but was not sure if id be able to deal with it ive been out in the harbour and stuff bout 10 times or more also been out past lion island a few times was ok with that part lol but the part i have trouble with is puttin the boat back on the trailor lol and yeh shes not bad for 1500$ lol

yeh motor is pretty good only had really one drama with it was the other week coming back through the spit around the first point at about half throttle it dies i was like what the hell my imediate thoughts seezed motor but sure enough fired it back up strait away no probz since then at all been out a few more times i just ajusted the fuel mixture alson thinking about gettin a small back up motor

mmmm 1500.00 what a steel before heading out side as previusly mentioned i would get the donk serviced and proberly get a marine radio and an eperb

even if your not heading out wide these things are a must have your mobile will not work near the gap

and unlike the harbour when you pass the heads your on your own there are days when there is heaps off boats out there and uthers when your lucky to see anuther boat

pick a good day with under 1.5 meter swell and remember it can all change in 5 minutes so if you see a storm coming best to head back in

just out from north head heading north is what i call the soup bowl and is usuly the roughest part off going out side once you get pass that it usuly settles down a bit

stay safe and know your limitations cherrs gary

thanks guys for you help much appreciated . yeh i love gettin out in the harbour always makes a good day out usualy take my dad out with me and a mate im only 23 but the boat was the best investment 1500$ came with the radio fish finder and stuff even a full stereo system haha make the days even better the trailer needed alot of work however all been fixed up the boat is soon goin to be sprayed white should look ok

your boat looks capable of going offshore just dont go out in big swells but no one does that normally anyway the one thing that you have to worry about is your motor is it a 2 stroke because trust me old 2 strokes are not very reiable motors and if you get struck in a bad swell you want a motor that you know won't stall or breakdown on you easily and you know that you can start easily i have seen countless old and new carberated 2 strokes take hours to start plus they eat heaps of fuel. How big is your fuel tank as well you got to make shore that you can get to your spot and back with about a quarter of a tank left. Your motor is one of the most improtant tools for going offshore it gets you A to B if you dont trust it then dont go offshore. Good motors that are very reiable are evinrude etecs i know i ve got one myself, yamaha four strokes, suzuki four strokes but i would reconmend an etec alot more power speed and more fuel efficent and you only have to service it once every three years but if you dont have the money to buy a new motor dont worry about it get a motor you can trust to be reilable that suits your price range.

Fisher Jay,

I have this exact boat and love it. I have fished the Wollongong and Kiama Fads (and well beyond) for years. They are about 16 km out and in 110m of water. Never ever felt uncomfortable or scared whilst outside.

So I reckon that your seafarer is more than capable of fishing the 60m point.

Your boat shares the same hull as the famous Seafarer V-Sea. Google it and see what I mean.

Any chance of some piccies of the interior?

Ta,

Evets