Buying First Boat

hookmeup

post-10174-1238470602_thumb.jpg

post-10174-1238470622_thumb.jpg

post-10174-1238470646_thumb.jpg

post-10174-1238470659_thumb.jpg

post-10174-1238470681_thumb.jpg

post-10174-1238470707_thumb.jpg

Hi raiders, got the fishing bug bad & have been thinking about buying a boat for ages, want to fish mainly rivers & estuarys as well as take the family out for boating, picnic etc (3 kids under 10). Found this ,have not had a look at it yet but would welcome any feedback, dont know age (can anyone tell me ?)Im guessing early 80's , but its a 16 foot Naughtiglass halfcab with a 70mercury, (dont know age of engine yet either, or condition), what should I look for apart from the obvious things ie transom condition,hull condition, signs of osmosis,engine condition.

I know pictures can be deceiving but they sure look pretty good. asking about $4k.will attempt to add the pictures. is this a good price , average price ??? is this type of boat difficult to launch (heavy etc)Your input would be invaluable, thanks in advance

Hookmeup

Hi Hookmeup If all checks out well at the price including the trasom the flooring and the condition of fibreglass etc and the motor, the name Nautiglass is good one :thumbup: the room is good for a 16' half cab.....the half cab has comfort for a weekend session and is easy to tow on it's single axle trailer.... Also it has been a buyers market in second boats for a long while now and after all the price is negotiable :thumbup:

This boat still fits in quite well with other half cabs on the water, so it would be well worth giving it a thorough checkout and, seeing you are looking at half cabin boats, trying to get this particular boat for the best price you can.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Definately looks the goods from the pics - well suited for what you have outlined as your intended usage.

Good weather protection, and bunks for the kids and missus.

All in all looks to have been well maintained.

A compression test on the outboard, and a sea trial if at all possible would be recommended.

Only gripe I would have is the small trailer wheels - could pose some issues. i.e - height from obstructions on some ramps, punctures (would need to have a spare). I would like to see the same wheels as the tow vehicle. If a puncture occurs then you have the vehicle spare tyre.

Small issue, but nevertheless, one which can be addressed at a later date should you go through with the purchase.

Good luck

Cheers

Mariner

Hi, as Jewy says give the boat and good check over in terms of florr and transom. Also the trailer in terms of running gear. The 70HP Merc in its day was an OK engine, they are heavy of service requirements and the rig would be more valuable with a Johno or Evinrude 70HP on it-they are built proof engines.

The Merc has cylinder domes that can corrode, the driveshaft is prone to get stuck in the crankshaft on these models. Hopefully it has had water pumps done yearly or wrose evey two years, if not that gearbox might not come off to replace the water pump. The exhaust plates, if original really should be done as well as the lower crankshaft seal. All this is preventative maitanance but critial to have the engine survive. Problems arise in that this engine is not really worth doing a major service like exhaust covers, seals on because of its age and the fact that the service would cost more than the engine is worth. Also the 70HP Merc are not the most powerful for its age and as with all engines of the era, which will be late 1970's early 1980's, they suck the fuel and rough a bit rough and noisey.

The price is right at $4K and as long as the compression is good, the gear oil is good and the engine sounds fine on the water test (do not just run on the flusher) than it would be worth the risk. Than I would bring it in and we can do a water pump service and a basic powerhead service and enjoy it.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, as Jewy says give the boat and good check over in terms of florr and transom. Also the trailer in terms of running gear. The 70HP Merc in its day was an OK engine, they are heavy of service requirements and the rig would be more valuable with a Johno or Evinrude 70HP on it-they are built proof engines.

The Merc has cylinder domes that can corrode, the driveshaft is prone to get stuck in the crankshaft on these models. Hopefully it has had water pumps done yearly or wrose evey two years, if not that gearbox might not come off to replace the water pump. The exhaust plates, if original really should be done as well as the lower crankshaft seal. All this is preventative maitanance but critial to have the engine survive. Problems arise in that this engine is not really worth doing a major service like exhaust covers, seals on because of its age and the fact that the service would cost more than the engine is worth. Also the 70HP Merc are not the most powerful for its age and as with all engines of the era, which will be late 1970's early 1980's, they suck the fuel and rough a bit rough and noisey.

The price is right at $4K and as long as the compression is good, the gear oil is good and the engine sounds fine on the water test (do not just run on the flusher) than it would be worth the risk. Than I would bring it in and we can do a water pump service and a basic powerhead service and enjoy it.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Jewy,Mariner & Huey,

fairly positive from all of you, my mate did point out the small trailer wheel issue, Huey, it must be fate, because I actually spoke to your dad yesterday regarding other business (forklift issues) & he said to email him pics, which I will, he said if it was the earlier mercury engine (something about how the covers come off tells him this) that they were not a great engine..... if it was the later one they were good, he also said the price was good, boat comes with a few extras,ie dual battery setup, dual fuel tanks, fishfinder, radio,new winch,boat rego, trailer rego. I would definitely try & get him to take me out for quick sale, what would I expect to pay for something like this through a dealer ??

Thanks for all your replies.

Hi I dont know if anyone has answered your question about how easy it is to launch. I am no expert but my mate has a similar boat which is on a pretty crap trailer and it wasnt that easy for two grown men to launch so if you plan on doing it on your own then you may want to give that trailer a real going over as i am sure that boat is pretty heavy for one person to launch. Just a little idea.

Thanks wantingaboat (should be my name), I was a bit worried about launching on my own, looks heavy, it looks like a tilt trailer, someone has told me these are not really much help & not really worth worrying about, cant you just make sure that you are well & truly down deep on the ramp ??? wouldn't be much fun trying to launch on my own with :wife: & kids standing around telling me to :ranting2: hurry up.Mmmm lots to think about

Thanks wantingaboat (should be my name), I was a bit worried about launching on my own, looks heavy, it looks like a tilt trailer, someone has told me these are not really much help & not really worth worrying about, cant you just make sure that you are well & truly down deep on the ramp ??? wouldn't be much fun trying to launch on my own with :wife: & kids standing around telling me to :ranting2: hurry up.Mmmm lots to think about

Hi hookmeup you wouldn't have to add much to convert the trailer into a drive on by installing a guide system etc and bolt on a small section of (work cover) out dated aluminum scaffold for a walk way for walking along to rope lead the boat away from the boat ramp after launching into the water etc. Also that little one step ladder is very handy to have, and you yourself or others can easily get on via the mudguard and be lower at the boat ramp with those smaller wheels, :thumbup: small wheels have taken me to Qld and back many times after carefull checking of the bearings etc......

However when buying a boat and particularly a fibreglass boat, you have to do everything possible to fully check the condition of and also the expected life left in the motor...... take the motor away from an older 16' fibreglass boat even in very good condition and the important thing to remember is what have you got then?

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

+ 1 on jewgaffers last responce.

I owned a 14 foot Glass half cab about 6 years ago and it had the same type of 70hp mercury motor. The engine had been rebuilt but still a "DOG of a motor" ( Very thirsty and ran like a bag of s*** when cold.. and didnt start first time every time). Not one mechanic (AND I TRIED ABOUT 4 OR 5), could get it to run how it should reliably. A lot of places didnt even want to touch it due to the age and the problems related with these motors.

Do yourself a favour and if your totally keen on this boat , Get a Pre Purchase Inspection done. Could save you a lot of Headache and Cash.

Vince

Edited by VA911

Did you end up buying the boat or still deciding?

We bought a 17 foot half cab back in Feb, and yes, it's not that easy to launch and retrieve, especially if it's by yourself.

We learnt that the easiest way to launch/retrieve was to drive the boat on and off the trailer, without that, it took alot of muscle power to push the boat off the trailer.

But apart from that, having a half cab is definitely more comfortable to be fishing in compared to a tinny.

Good Luck!

Long.

Edited by Longy