Boat Rod Lanyards

jewgaffer

Hi Everyone... I need advice in regard to making up some decent rod lanyards.....It seems that secure well made lanyards for rod holders are quite expensive to buy nowadays....

I have strong s/s rod holder rail mounts on my side console boat, plenty of room for fishing at the bow, and no shortage of rails around the boat for securing a lanyard next to each rod holder and all up I need over a dozen or so to service all the rod holder positions and a few more for securing the downriggers etc......

A friend of mine George, an old mate I fish with and also a member, got hold of a few discontinued Snyder 7144, 7 wrap 12' low mount rods...... I have a few low mount boat rods myself and have no space problems when using my 9' and 10' high mount rods in my Side console boat..... Another friend Julius a land based bloke who I boat fish with, uses 2x12' low mounts for his Alveys.... Using a 12' rod presents no problems at all when casting across the bow area of my boat or over the stern area rods....... In fact the longer rods can be used to advantage I.E..... to cast closer to pylons and to get distance to cover the other side of a channel from where you have anchored and also to be able to cast one or two live baits further towards the shoreline etc. in order to fully cover the surroundings you have chosen.....

Like others have, we have also managed to lose a rod overboard for some reason or other, particularly short butted bream rods, having been not fully seated where the reel stops at the top of a rod holder .....

I was thinking in terms of something with straps and clips at each end and would welcome member advice and other ideas or pics that may help.

Your input would be much appreciated as I am tweaking my boat up for when I recover from a major back operation due in approximately 10 days......

Cheers and thanks for your help in advance...

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

byron a lanyard is a must...

you can easily make them for a few dollars...

a length of good rope with a loop spliced in one end to attatch to rails etc..

on other end a ss clip of the style to suit rod/reels...

the awkward thing i have found is where to attatch on some setups and i have been thinking of binding an anchor point onto a couple of rods i have.....

all up should not cost more than 5 or 6 bux.....

give me a buzz during the week and i can elaborate more if needed...

hope yr hands are feeling better now....

cheers...steve......

Byron Similar to rosterman , but I use nylon cord , it comes in a variety of thicknesses & it is very flexible

There are lots of different clips available from boating stores. I use large snap swivels. There inexpensive & appear to do the job but must admit have never lost a rod over the side to test them out

Geoff

Not sure if this is what your after but I needed something for rods in the rocket launcher when we are doing warp factor 9 across the open oceans. Havent seen them here but $20usd a pack of 4 isn't to bad. Perfect as they stay on the rail and you just stick the loop over your handles. Fast, ezy and sercure.

PM me if you want to know where.

G

post-3563-1238817254_thumb.jpg

Hi Byron ,

I use about one metre of 3 strand rope with a brass snap buckle spliced onto one end and a eye spliced onto the other . That way you can use them on any rail on your boat . The brass snap buckles are the best , as they dont corrode and need spraying with lubricant look for the ones that have the swivel some dont . .....post-692-1238818731_thumb.jpg I also use them as securing lines for landing nets ,empty fuel tanks , buckets and all the stuff that likes to blow out of your boat on the freeway......

Cheers John.....

Its bungee cord.

There is some really cools clips for bungee to make clean splices and have also seen some crimps as well.

The security cables at officeworks for the electriconic goods look good as they are a nylon cord plastic coated and are coiled to keep em out of the way

Edited by pelican

G'day Byron,

Not sure if this is the sort of thing you mean... I made my own with some simply nylon rope and a stainless clip. I spliced the clip to the rope at one and and spliced a loop in the other. It's then just a matter of looping the tether to the rail and clipping the other end to the rod/reel (using the attachment points on bigger overheads or by wrapping a figure-8 around the reel foot/reel seat).

I made them long enough so that I can pull the rod out of the holder and have freedom to immediately fight the fish if I have to. It means that if a rod goes over the side it will get wet but I won't lose it. I started with short ones but got frustrated by having to unclip the darn things every time I picked up the rods.

Cheers, Slinky

post-6175-1238882157_thumb.jpg

post-6175-1238882169_thumb.jpg

post-6175-1238882182_thumb.jpg

G'day Byron,

Not sure if this is the sort of thing you mean... I made my own with some simply nylon rope and a stainless clip. I spliced the clip to the rope at one and and spliced a loop in the other. It's then just a matter of looping the tether to the rail and clipping the other end to the rod/reel (using the attachment points on bigger overheads or by wrapping a figure-8 around the reel foot/reel seat).

I made them long enough so that I can pull the rod out of the holder and have freedom to immediately fight the fish if I have to. It means that if a rod goes over the side it will get wet but I won't lose it. I started with short ones but got frustrated by having to unclip the darn things every time I picked up the rods.

Cheers, Slinky

post-6175-1238882157_thumb.jpg

post-6175-1238882169_thumb.jpg

post-6175-1238882182_thumb.jpg

this is the same setup i was referring to byron...

leaving them long enough like tony said to fight fish then unclip when you can....

as i said before the only hard bit is finding an anchor point on some setups that doesnt get in the way.....

cheers...steve....

Edited by roosterman

this is the same setup i was referring to byron...

leaving them long enough like tony said to fight fish then unclip when you can....

as i said before the only hard bit is finding an anchor point on some setups that doesnt get in the way.....

cheers...steve....

G'day Steve,

For a while I used to wrap a zip tie around the reel seat/reel foot in a figure 8 and then clip to that on outfits without a dedicated anchor point. Just got lazy so do it with the rope now but it works pretty well.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day Steve,

For a while I used to wrap a zip tie around the reel seat/reel foot in a figure 8 and then clip to that on outfits without a dedicated anchor point. Just got lazy so do it with the rope now but it works pretty well.

Cheers, Slinky

another good way is to get a ss ring and add that when attaching to rod..(saw this on charter trip)

the thought of playing with a couple rods and binding an anchor point is good as it adds that "i did it my way" extra pleasure...

with time limiting things these days ill prob just add some rings to reel foot area for now...

another of those ill do it next time things thats been waiting ...

gregl

is that chord elasticised,

....does it stretch or do you adjust the length to the gear

Yeah it's elastic, looks almost like a figure 8 out of the packet and just stretch it over the reel handle.

Unclip it and it only hangs 10cm or so. No metal or clips to swing and clunk around either.

G

Hi Byron,

Here is mine. I am not sure if the rope section is strong enough so may need to be changed. It is rated up to 100kg so it may be ok. My worry is that if is was going along at top speed and one dropped out how much pressure would be on the rod/rope. The likelyhood of this happening is low cos i think if they were going to fall its when you first start out, like you decribe and a short but rod s not fully in the holder or when you go over rough seas and i go slow for that. Anyway they cost me about $2 each to make. A lot cheaper than buying a new bream rod as i had to do last week. Cheers Mike.

post-9512-1238966774_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wantingaboat

Thanks to all those who replied to this topic and particularly to those members who went to the trouble of taking photos and posting up pics of their own rod lanyards :thumbup: .......It's not that it's only those members who use lanyards to protect their valuable rods and reels etc, there's no doubt in my mind that there are other seasoned members who also use lanyards and in my opinion we all should.....

In short summary ...... Reliable marine quality clips for quick release of the lanyard at the rod end would be essential

....... The shorter the length of usable cord to the anchor point the better.....

..... The cord type should be of game fishing strength, designed for saltwater conditions

...... To cover 6 rods would only need up to 8 metres of chord and that would be taking high mounts into account and flush mounted rod holders close together that need a common anchor point....

....... 6 rail mounted rod holders would need far less cord as the excess cord can be wrapped around the rod holder base and secured with the bottom clip

Further comments and advice would be appreciated and I'd also appreciate more from GregL in regard to the nice style of his lanyards and their strength in Greg's practical use of them and also from Dogtooth on his lanyards in that respect, and from Slinky, Roosterman and Pell their ideas in summary.

I'm pretty sure that after all that we'll come up with a top class hybrid rod lanyard exclusive to Fishraider members and their friends :thumbup:

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

G'day Byron,

In regard to GregL's lanyards... they look like the duck's guts so to speak... Greg sure has some smick gear and those tie downs are no exception. I have a much less simple elastic tie down system for rods on the rare occasion I have my bimini up and the rods are in the rocket launcher. I think that the short, elastic ties are the very best for holding rods in a rack while travelling. By applying downward pressure on the rods it stops them banging around and moving, as well as preventing them from bouncing out and going overboard.

I don't think they're intended for securing a rod while fishing??

The lanyard/rope style tethers are more for fishing than travelling. Length is a personal preference mate... I'd recommend you try fishing with a short lanyard and a long lanyard. I much prefer mine to be about 1 - 1.5m in length so I can pick up the rod and set hooks, start fighting a fish, etc without having to immediately unclip. I do that soon afterwards of course but I find short lanyards frustrating in those first few seconds... and also when I may want to do something like rebait regularly.

Other people I know much prefer shorter lanyards so that there's less chance they'll get in the way. Neither is right or wrong. Try both on a fishing session and see what you like most.

You're right with any lanyard that it's easy to wrap any unused length around something... I wrap mine around the stainless rod holders when not in use. You may not have noticed but they were on the boat the night we went out together so they're easy to get out of the way.

Wantingaboat.... if you send me the clips, let me know how long you'd like them and I'll make up some like mine for you for nothing (rope is cheap so don't worry about the rope).... same for you Byron if you want. It only takes about 5 minutes and its a nice, easy rainy-day time-filler so no sweat... I can mail them back to you.

Cheers, Slinky

Cheers Slinky. I have some but like i said i dont think they are nearly as good as yours. For starters the clip that i use is too small and makes it difficult to unhook when onto a fish. The bigger ones you use look the goods. Its funny how once you test something out you always come up with better ideas and also what is wrong with what you have(unless you are GregL) :1prop: Slinky if you get a chance that would be great. I am like you in that ideally it would be long enough to pick up the rod, set the hooks and then worry about unclipping when i can. Maybe 1.2m long? I am happy to deposit some money into your bank account or even send some cash to where you are for the postage and materials. Thanks again. Mike.

We've covered some good ground with rod Lanyards, thanks for your input everyone :thumbup: ..and thanks for offering to make some rod Lanyards up for me Slinky!

Let's see where we are with this at the moment...... For those of you who need neat and tidy rod Lanyards for storage and securing rods while travelling i.e. lanyards for rods on rocket launchers and for spare rods on upright rod holders etc, I don't think you can go past the Lanyards shown in GregL's post. Thanks Greg!

Cord......I think we need to source some good quality cord, impervious to salt water, probably one of the soft coated cords......It would be appreciated, if anyone can help out with recommending suitable cord type/s, price per metre and availability.

Clips...... We would need good strong clips also suitable for marine conditions, but then again any strong non corrosive metal quick release clip would do the same job and would be much cheaper... suggestions on suitable clips, price and availabilty would also be appreciated.

Splicing..... I think a single end of cord passed thru the clip, turned back on it self and crimped would be quicker and easier than splicing...... What do you members think about crimping and sealing the ends instead of all the end splicing that has to be done ?

Thanks again any further advice on rod lanyards from other members would also be appreciated, that way I'm sure that, with the help and advice of our members, the rod lanyards that we finish up with will be pretty much the best...

Cheers

Splicing..... I think a single end of cord passed thru the clip, turned back on it self and crimped would be quicker and easier than splicing...... What do you members think about crimping and sealing the ends instead of all the end splicing that has to be done ?

I reckon crimping would be fine... is there a chance it might catch on something at an inopportune time? Don't think it would be a problem though and it would increase your options for types of chord a lot. You'd need a big 'bench' crimper I guess.

Cheers, Slinky

Anyone got any good ideas for securing spinning reels like 6500BRs when trolling/downrigging. I can see that cable tie combinations around reel seats could work but not ideal. Any other ideas? maybe serious velcro straps like on a surfboard legrope/flipper savers?

Edited by Captain Spanner

Hi Guys

Gone 1 day and wow so much talk on lanyards! Very interesting tho....

Was in a tackle shop yesterday buying some 15kg line ready for tunas and saw all the different ones they had in stock.

I understand with alot of game reels they have some where to connect a clip, like on the reel or the reel mount but what about spin rods?

There is no way i'm going to clip it onto a $250 bail arm!

Most of mine are airbail at that so they do not like metal banging against them....

I saw ones in the shop that looked like a body board wrist strap.

Would work well strapped to the rod ontop of the reel mount T piece.

Rubber coated and no metal, can either have it in a straight cord or curly if you like them short but long....

The others I posted earlier are really only good for travelling and work just the way Slink described. Downwards pressure keeps them locked in.

My ideal one would be silicon coated, with a braided loop on both ends. One to loop threw the bottom of the rod holder bar that locks your rod butt into, this way it hangs out the bottom as an anchor point and then you can use the other to either loop on a metal clip for game rods or a velcro strap for spin rods.

Now with so many people using spin rods for trolling we need better rod sercurity. $2000 outfits that take 5 months to replace are just scary leaving unattended in a rod holders!

Greg

G'day Greg,

Just took a quick happy snap of how I use mine with spin reels... I never attach to the reel itself because of a0 damage and B) it interferes with using the reel until you get it unclipped.

You can also figure 8 wrap a heavy duty cable tie in the same way and then clip onto that. I just thought that I might be able to splice loops into each end of a short bit of rope to form a bridle.... hmmm give me a couple of minutes.

Cheers, Slinky

post-6175-1239268634_thumb.jpg

Not sure how clear this is in the photo but here's an idea...

Just did a quick and dirty job of splicing in front of the computer. Too long obviously and the wrong kind of rope, blah blah... but I think it has potential.

I'm sure I could splice or whip a small stainless ring into the 'bridle' somehow and hey presto... spinning outfit tether points!

What do you reckon??

post-6175-1239270634_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Slinky