What Do I Need To Do?

Wantingaboat

Hi again all,

Was hoping someone could help me with a pretty simple question. I am installing a bilge pump into my tinny and needed some advice regarding the hose connections. Obviously the bilge sits in the middle at the back on the floor of the boat however the issue i wanted cleared up is how much pressure do they create in order to expel the water. I bought a 500gph(what ever that means) because i figured a 4m boat doesnt need a big one. Anyway i wanted to have a hose running horizontal to the edge of the boat, another hose going vertical and then another going horizontal out the side of the boat. Now this is a first idea and could change with some good direction. I would join the hoses with some kind of 90degree fitting but will there be enough pressure from the pump to overcome two right angles and get the water out?? I read that right angles as well as other factors reduce the amount it can expel/time which is pretty easy to understand but as i have no experience in bilge pumps i hoped someone could let me know. As always i appreciate your time in responding.

Cheers. Mike.

Hi again all,

Was hoping someone could help me with a pretty simple question. I am installing a bilge pump into my tinny and needed some advice regarding the hose connections. Obviously the bilge sits in the middle at the back on the floor of the boat however the issue i wanted cleared up is how much pressure do they create in order to expel the water. I bought a 500gph(what ever that means) because i figured a 4m boat doesn't need a big one. Anyway i wanted to have a hose running horizontal to the edge of the boat, another hose going vertical and then another going horizontal out the side of the boat. Now this is a first idea and could change with some good direction. I would join the hoses with some kind of 90degree fitting but will there be enough pressure from the pump to overcome two right angles and get the water out?? I read that right angles as well as other factors reduce the amount it can expel/time which is pretty easy to understand but as i have no experience in bilge pumps i hoped someone could let me know. As always i appreciate your time in responding.

Cheers. Mike.

hi mike 500 gph is the amount of water the pump will pump in one hour but that will depend on the height of the out let and also any restricting in the hose such as to many elbows .also a 4 meter boat can hold a lot of water so a 800 or 1000 gph would not be overkill. cheers pappy

Hi again all,

Was hoping someone could help me with a pretty simple question. I am installing a bilge pump into my tinny and needed some advice regarding the hose connections. Obviously the bilge sits in the middle at the back on the floor of the boat however the issue i wanted cleared up is how much pressure do they create in order to expel the water. I bought a 500gph(what ever that means) because i figured a 4m boat doesnt need a big one. Anyway i wanted to have a hose running horizontal to the edge of the boat, another hose going vertical and then another going horizontal out the side of the boat. Now this is a first idea and could change with some good direction. I would join the hoses with some kind of 90degree fitting but will there be enough pressure from the pump to overcome two right angles and get the water out?? I read that right angles as well as other factors reduce the amount it can expel/time which is pretty easy to understand but as i have no experience in bilge pumps i hoped someone could let me know. As always i appreciate your time in responding.

Cheers. Mike.

500 gph means the unit will pump 500 gallons per hour , approx 2,300 lts. These pumps , pump a good volume but the pressurs is not very high , ie they are a volume pump , not a pressure pump.

I'm a bit confused with all the hoses you mention , there is only one , the one that runs from the pump to the outside of the boat , either over the side or through a hole in the side or transom.

The actual pick up is through the bottom of the pump

Was you purchase a Rule 500. If so , was the blue base provided. To install , unclip the blue base , fix it to the floor , near the transom , at the lowest place possible.

Re fit the pump , connect the hose from the pump to the outlet , connect the wireing , switch etc & you should be in business

Geoff

The reason for the changes in angles in the hose would be that i would like to try and keep it as tucked away as possible so the hose coming out of the blige goes along the floor, underneath the floor, then to a right angled piece, then vertical (through a drilled hole in the floor) up to another right angled piece, then out the hole in the side of the boat near the transom. That way the only hose i will see will run almost adjacent to the side of the boat and be out of the way of my fuel tanks and also doesnt look crap. My question was about whether or not the pump would still expel water using those angles??? The reason too i bought the 500gph was because in their range it seemed to be the smaller of them and i strugled to think of what kind of boats (that a bilge is required) would use less as i said its 4m. i hope you guys are still around to answer mynext round of questions. Thanks. Mike.

The reason for the changes in angles in the hose would be that i would like to try and keep it as tucked away as possible so the hose coming out of the blige goes along the floor, underneath the floor, then to a right angled piece, then vertical (through a drilled hole in the floor) up to another right angled piece, then out the hole in the side of the boat near the transom. That way the only hose i will see will run almost adjacent to the side of the boat and be out of the way of my fuel tanks and also doesnt look crap. My question was about whether or not the pump would still expel water using those angles??? The reason too i bought the 500gph was because in their range it seemed to be the smaller of them and i strugled to think of what kind of boats (that a bilge is required) would use less as i said its 4m. i hope you guys are still around to answer mynext round of questions. Thanks. Mike.

Mike There will be some volume drop , the amount is hard to say but would suggest nothing to worry about

It is not so much the bends in place but the amount of lift , ie how far the pump needs to "Lift" the water to the outlet.

I run 360gph on my boat , the lift is approx 600mm , the volume coming out is what I would consider more than acceptable

Geoff

Geoff you are a legend. I will aim to get the outlet just above the water line then so to minimise the amount of "lift" that you mention.

I would suggest the higher the better to avoid water running from the outlet back into the bilge.

A few extra inches is unlikly to effect the volume flow

Geoff

I think its best for you to get another bilge pump somewhere around the 1100 gph that will take a 32 mm hose. You always want to over do it when it comes to safety and atleast with a 32mm hose you wouldnt loose too much pressure due to bends and I would go as high as i can.

With your current bilge pump, it would be perfect size for a live bait pump.

JON

Hi Mike,

Its a pretty straight forward exercise, as stated by the other raiders.

Mount the pump at the lowest point.

Run the hose with the minimum bends and length to either a skin fitting through the side or over the gunwhale.

Depending on whether the unit has an integrated float as to what the wiring will be like, or if its just a manual setup.

I don't know if your tinny has a floor or not? but having an automatic setup will mean pump will be on before your ankles start getting wet.

Most pumps from my experience if of US origins are rated in US Gallon not imperial which is 3.8litres not 4.5litres.

I am down the coast this week but will be back sunday, if you would like, I could come and have a look and give you my ideas, as you are in Leichhardt also. I'm in Catherine Street.

Last question i will ask. A few people have told me to build some kind of contraption to hold the pump in place however a mate of mine just glued his to the floor and said its been going strong for years. No issues at all. Now it seems to be an ok idea as if it comes off i can just reglue it. Is this an idiotic idea?

Last question i will ask. A few people have told me to build some kind of contraption to hold the pump in place however a mate of mine just glued his to the floor and said its been going strong for years. No issues at all. Now it seems to be an ok idea as if it comes off i can just reglue it. Is this an idiotic idea?

Glue is OK , silicon can also work provided it is one that is compatable to aluminium

Geoff