Towing Capacity Of My Beast?

Wantingaboat

Hi All,

I hope you are not sick of my questions. I promise to repay you all with beer, or if you are under 18 i might slip you a shandy, if i meet you in person. My question now is that i have a toyota yaris, yes a beast of a car, and i want to enquire as to whether or not its capable of towing my tinny to the ramp. Now the specs on the toyota website state that it can tow up to 550kg without trailer brakes. My tinny weighs 150kg but lets say 200kg with the fuel tanks and other stuff like electric motor. The engine weighs 69kg so thats 269kg so far. My problem is that its a brooker trailer and on their website they dont have the weight of it. Now i take it that i need to add that to the total weight to come up with what the yaris will need to tow. Does anyone have a trailer, brooker would be best but any info will be great, designed for boats 4m-4.2m that knows the weight of it? Also i need to add a tow bar so any idea what that costs and where to get done? I dont plan on towing it anywhere far. I live in Leichhardt and want to take it to drummoyne which is about a 15 minute drive. If any raiders think this is a definate no no then please feel free to reply so.

Cheers. Mike.

Hi All,

I hope you are not sick of my questions. I promise to repay you all with beer, or if you are under 18 i might slip you a shandy, if i meet you in person. My question now is that i have a toyota yaris, yes a beast of a car, and i want to enquire as to whether or not its capable of towing my tinny to the ramp. Now the specs on the toyota website state that it can tow up to 550kg without trailer brakes. My tinny weighs 150kg but lets say 200kg with the fuel tanks and other stuff like electric motor. The engine weighs 69kg so thats 269kg so far. My problem is that its a brooker trailer and on their website they dont have the weight of it. Now i take it that i need to add that to the total weight to come up with what the yaris will need to tow. Does anyone have a trailer, brooker would be best but any info will be great, designed for boats 4m-4.2m that knows the weight of it? Also i need to add a tow bar so any idea what that costs and where to get done? I dont plan on towing it anywhere far. I live in Leichhardt and want to take it to drummoyne which is about a 15 minute drive. If any raiders think this is a definate no no then please feel free to reply so.

Cheers. Mike.

hi mike the tare weight of your trailer should be on your rego papers.regards pappy

Don't ever worry about asking questions Mike... that's the beauty of Raider. Ask away.

I can't help with your trailer in particular but my trailer for a 4.8m Quinnie weighs 260kg. I can only assume yours would be a fair bit lighter but you need to find out not just for safety but also so you don't end up getting booked.

Stay safe.

Cheers, Slinky

My guess is you'd be pushing 500Kg all up or maybe a bit more. I'm not farmiliar with Brooker trailers but if your concerned (Which it sounds like you should be) then get a mate with a larger vehicle & tow it to a weigh station. Ring around your area for locations. Some councils have access to or at least know where you can get access to a weigh bridge. Park the trailer only on the scales & you will know exactly what your asking of your Yaris.

We do alot of towing (Both for work & pleasure) and I can't stress enough how important it is for the safety of you as well as others on the road that your vehicle is capable of towing the trailer you use, boat or otherwise. It never ceases to amaze me how many people think that as long as a vehicle can reef something along its all good. That is until it comes time to seriously stop in an emergency. There's nothing scarier than being behind the wheel of something that is being pushed by something that has a decent amount of weight to it... the word helpless just doesn't do that situation justice.

Weigh her mate & then you'll know for sure. If its close to the vehicles limit the do a test run at low speeds & make sure you test an emergency stop. If it pushes the vehicle the it isn't safe.

hey musty, I used to own a mighty boy.

Seriously, Wantingaboat, no one will ever get bored with you asking questions. If you dont ask you will never know, and that is one of the things that raiders can pride itself on, members asking constant questions.

There is bound to be one or 5 other members that have an answer for you. It may not be immediate, but you will eventually get the results that you are after.

This site is made up of begginers, intermediates and pros. What all these guys dont know combined about fishing, it hasnt been written yet.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanger

To the people that took the time to read this and more so to the people that wrote replies, thank you. I agree that safety is the main issue here and thats why i put it to people with experience. Unfortunatley when you ask anyone trying to sell you something you get a biased view and not always a correct one. I was sick of relying on my friends cars and i cant afford to buy a second car just for towing. I looked at my receipt from the RTA which is for $127( thats got to be my trailer receipt) when i registered the trailer and it didnt have the weight on it. I must say i didnt provide that info when i was there so i assume they dont have it. Slinky if i use your weight, which i agree should be more than mine, it comes to about 530kg. Now i know thats very close to the limit but i dont think mine actually weighs as much as slinky's as its a fairly standard 4m tinny carrier and yours carries a 4.8m quinny. I am very close to five dock ramp, even though i promised never to use it again, but even Drummoyne is close and i think a very good ramp. I will drive it very slowly all the way and keep a large distance between myself and the car in front.

One other thing is that no one commented on the cost of fitting a tow bar or suggested a good place for this to be done. Its definatley not a job for me. I hope i am not breaching site rules but if anyone could shed any light on this i would be very grateful.

My GF told me i have more of a relationship with fishraider than i do with her the other night. I think i will need to spend that money i was going to use to get a rule 1100gph bilge on a bunch of flowers instead.

Cheers. Mike.

Edited by Wantingaboat

If you cant find the weight of the trailer on the rego papers, you should check the compliance plate on the trailer w/c is normally at the left hand side of the draw bar or just after where the y piece and the draw bar meets. Your rego paper should have it but.

JON

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the club of fisho's who own a little toy car & still need "want" to tow a boat. I have a 2005 Astra which currently tows my 4.3m Brooker with a 40hp. The package sounds similar in weight to mine & so far (touch wood) Nothing has happened to the three boats I have had on the back.

That being said you always have to be more aware then when towing with a standard large car, the yaris being light & front wheel drive will have a tendancy to be 'bounced & jolted" a bit when towing at speed on freeways & highways. Your stopping distance is dramatically increased so always drive with that in mind, utilise your gears for better towing response & most of all just use your own common sense at all times & you will be fine.

I have towed my boat down to Croydon from Forster & often launch it from Parsley Bay,Cabaritta, Drummoyne, Tom Ugly's, Kyeemagh, Rose Bay & two ramps in Middle Harbour, so far without incident.

I can only speak for myself so here are my essentials:

Make sure your brakes are up to the job.

Handbrake:

Tyres - you really cannot afford to run worn tyres on a slippery boat ramp.

A good quality tow bar.

I should think you will have no problem towing the tinny, I should have asked if your Yaris was manual or auto? if auto can you fit an oil cooler to it ?

As for tow bars I had mine fitted by a company at Strathfield, I am not sure if I can post their details so if you want it just send me a message.

Best of luck mate & hope to see another small car on the ramp soon.