Botany Bay Night Bream Session

mako1

Dad and I hit the bay for a bream session last night.

We Started off at Towra. Fished the run in till the tide change and continued to fish

the first hour of the run out tide. Only managed two keeper bream.

There were lots of small tarwine and whiting stealing the baits.

Made a move to the drums to fish the run out tide.

Dad had the first bait in the water and was straight away into a 36cm bream.

The bream and trevally continued to bite for the next 1.5hours. Three of the better bream were

34,36 and 40cm. We also got cleaned up by another three good fish.

Dad managed a tailor and then as the tide changed the yellowtail moved in and we couldn't

get a bait past them.

We went back to the Towra flats and managed two more keeper bream, a whiting and a good

blue swimmer.

Best baits were nippers and pealed prawns.

It was a great night session and we ended up with a top feed for the easter long weekend.

The whole catch

post-2229-1239359910_thumb.jpg

The three better bream

post-2229-1239359945_thumb.jpg

wish I could be so casual about a 40cm Bream... that's a great fish :thumbup:

Cheers, Slinky

Nice haul!

Quick question, a few people have told me that there's decent fishing around "The Drums" at Botany Bay - I've got no idea where that is - is it somewhere that's only accessible by boat, or is it somewhere I can fish by driving/walking? I understand if you don't want to give away exact fishing spots but a general idea would be nice, I don't have a boat and would like to go find somewhere with a little land-based action around Botany.

Nice haul!

Quick question, a few people have told me that there's decent fishing around "The Drums" at Botany Bay - I've got no idea where that is - is it somewhere that's only accessible by boat, or is it somewhere I can fish by driving/walking? I understand if you don't want to give away exact fishing spots but a general idea would be nice, I don't have a boat and would like to go find somewhere with a little land-based action around Botany.

By boat only mate,

Where the container ships moor to the west of the caltex oil wharf, there are actually large drums in the water which they tie off to (so not just a fancy name).

wish I could be so casual about a 40cm Bream... that's a great fish :thumbup:

Cheers, Slinky

When I did the report I was stuffed after a night of no sleep and cleaning the boat and fish so I sound like I'm not that happy but trust me I was and so was Dad as he was happy to get his 36cm bream on his handline as he prefers to fish with a handline over a rod.

unreal! what sort of bait were u useing?

We used live nippers, peeled Hawkesbury river prawns, chicken gut and strips of salted mackerel.

Nippers and peeled prawns were the best.

When the fish were on the bite I put a full prawn on one of the rods and it didn't get touched for 15mins while the other rods were getting bites. I pulled it in and peeled the prawn while still on the hook and cast it back out and was onto a bream within a minute.

Mako thats a great catch you got there, not many people pulling that much in these days. Sometimes i fish the drums and i go alright there. But i find that the bay is all over the place at the moment. Alot of boats off towra silver beach and quibray bay, i fished these spots on friday and got no fish at all. Did you fish any of these spots in the night? and did you get anything.

Cheers Jim Bream

Mako thats a great catch you got there, not many people pulling that much in these days. Sometimes i fish the drums and i go alright there. But i find that the bay is all over the place at the moment. Alot of boats off towra silver beach and quibray bay, i fished these spots on friday and got no fish at all. Did you fish any of these spots in the night? and did you get anything.

Cheers Jim Bream

I fished the run in and first hour of the run out on Thursday night off Towra and only bagged two keeper bream. There were too many small tarwhine and whiting taking the baits. Came back to Towra to fish the last of the run in in the morning and still only managed two keeper bream a whiting and a blue swimmer crab. Still allot of small fish around in the morning. The weekend before we did a lot better off Towra during the day. Not sure if it was the full moon putting the fish off on the flats as we did better in the deeper water. There were heaps of boats off Towra on Friday morning so that could have put the fish off too.

I fished the run in and first hour of the run out on Thursday night off Towra and only bagged two keeper bream. There were too many small tarwhine and whiting taking the baits. Came back to Towra to fish the last of the run in in the morning and still only managed two keeper bream a whiting and a blue swimmer crab. Still allot of small fish around in the morning. The weekend before we did a lot better off Towra during the day. Not sure if it was the full moon putting the fish off on the flats as we did better in the deeper water. There were heaps of boats off Towra on Friday morning so that could have put the fish off too.

Hey Guys - I agree with Jim there.

I was out on Friday morning and Sunday morning.

On Friday, I got about 10 fish off Silver beach early morning, then the bite tapered off by 7:30.

Then I only got one fish here, one there until midday. Best one went 45cm (photos attached)

On Sunday I only got 6 or 7 but my other mate got 14 bream and 9 whiting but he moved around a bit as well.

I'm unsure exactly what role the moon plays - I'm thinking it's not the moon at all, or if the moon does play a role, the water quality and temperature plays an overriding role.

In any case, the fish felt warm to the touch on friday but not so warm on Sunday - could it be the temp on the seabed that controls their appetite? Or perhaps the seabed temp controls what foods they prefer to eat because my mate and I were using different baits on Sunday and we weren't that far apart. The baits that worked for me on Friday didn't work on Sunday...

The spot where I got the 45cm fish, I had gotten a pair of 45cm fish the year before (photo attached). It seems to hold some really big ones, but I only go there when I'm desperate bcos these big bream are the breeders, and they don't taste as good as their sub 40cm bretheren..... After I got those two, I left the spot - I can't bring myself to release them so I'd rather go somewhere else.....

Won't be long now when the water will cool down and I'll have to concentrate my efforts offshore....unless you guys know of winter breamin spots.....

post-3021-1239850504_thumb.jpg

post-3021-1239850527_thumb.jpg

post-3021-1239850541_thumb.jpg