More Hoody Kings But This Time Success

roosterman

hi guys,

well due to the weather not looking real good this w/e and this being last chance for some serious fishing for a little while i had a day off work and met up with va911 to chase some hoody kings...

things started real slow and squid were hard to come by,tried numerous spots and ended up with 5...

yakkas were non existent at a few places also...

went to first spot sent out one rigger and there was some good showings...shortly after were on and vince gives me first strike..after a spirited fight a rat was landed.. got another one soon after then decided to move on as squid were to valuable to feed to pickers and rats..

went into middle harbour for similar results including holding one in water for the hord of his friends(some were good size) pass their noses up to fresh squid guts oozing ink... moved on again..and again..then back to see they were still there but not feeding...

decided back to main harbour then i said lets try here(had a gut feeling) was some real good soundings then shortly after my tyrnos with 6.5kg strike drag absolutely screams... wooo hooo im on... this thing gives me plenty of curry so i up the drag midway to sunset and it slows him down and i nearly go overboard....

the gaf is called and we get color and he's huge,after an eternity(well seemed like it) the gaf is expertly sunk and he's hauled aboard. :yahoo: .. adrenaline pumping and hi-5's then put him on the lie detector and he was 7cm short of oficial hoody status but i didnt care... 93cm 5.7kg of very fit healthy kingy...

we tried to fish spot more but a few others joind and bite went off so we moved again...

got to last spot for day and soon after bang my real screams heaps more than the other one and i get dusted bigtime.... quickly snap another rig on and bang dusted again... the pickers were there but so were the big kings.. we were using wings and all sorts of tatty baits by now..vince got a few runs as well and we eventually pull the pin as wind was picking up and was painfull downrigging...

the tally for the day 3 keepers,best 93cm,a few rats and a few big dustings....

an awesome day out and big thanks to VA911 for having me aboard(gee those electric riggers are the go)..

heres a couple pics...

post-2219-1239948467_thumb.jpg

post-2219-1239948476_thumb.jpg

cheers...steve....

Well done Boyzzzz!!! :thumbup:

So Steve, how is the back feeling now?! :074:

Cheers,

Grant.

im a mad fisho grant and the back WAS alot better before fridays escapades..

was good to get out on vinces rig as i dont think i coulda launched mine solo...

when i locked the drag up to aprox 8kg he went on another big burst and i lost my footing and nearly went in the drink but i wasn't letting go... backs bloody sore again but i filleted him and baked the head and half the frame last night and got my revenge :074: .. what a feed just in that :biggrin2:

i was curious as to what wastage there is so weighed the fillets.. whole fish = 5.7kg.... boneless fillets = 2.6kg..

so roughly 50% loss... may help those that buy it as to whether whole or fillets is best $ value...

thanks for the kind words guys...

we started in main harbour then up into mh and back to main...

the kings were in most spots we tried and the main had worst pickers..

yakkas were missing from spit and ive never seen it so lifeless of bait as usually its boiling with life..

theres some big kings and fresh squid is key and we were using heavy gear , me with 6.5kg drag on tyrnos 30 on custom 15-24 rod and vince using a torsa and saltiga jig stick(very nice rod) and we were still getting punished with massive runs..

good thing was that i think all dustings were bustoffs with no pulled hooks using such heavy drag.except one i had that top hook knot let go..mmm been a long time since i had gear failure as im normally anal about gear prep...

anyway hope this helps as i know guys are getting done out there and it might make them feel better knowing that even with the big weapons some of these fish are just unstopable in shallow structured waters...

cheers....steve....