Mullet Run In Sydney

King slayer

Hi Raiders,

I was wondering when the mulllet run happens in The harbour and surrounding beaches. I have some fresh caught bully's and am looking for the most likely spot to throw them out at this time of year for Jews.

I've heard of the Mullet run, but don't know and can't seem to find dates etc.

Anyone have experience with jews on mullet baits at particular times of the year or types of spot e.g.Beach in June etc?

Dave

The general rule is that the mullet run starts with the 1st big westerly winds in April which by the looks of things will be this Sunday.

Great timing this year being on a new moon. There should be plenty of jew around.

Cheers,

Grant.

You may have just solved a riddle for me. On Sunday, Dene and I were cruising through the gale force winds and horizontal rain :1prop: when we observed the water in front of us erupt into a teeming frothing mess! As we approached, we were able to identify an enormous school of mullet. Neither of us has witnessed this in our waterway before. A half hour later the boiling mass arrived in the lake and headed towards where the entrance SHOULD be ... and straight into the 3 awaiting dolphins! :1yikes:

What ensued was an incredible visual display of feeding aggression from the dolphins and acrobatic mayhem from the mullet. The dolphins were smashing them like pilchards. The highlight of an otherwise ordinary day on the water.

Hodgey

So what's a mullet run?

I'm guessing some kind of migration? I've never heard of it.

Mullet school up in the estuaries this time of year & head out to sea & up the coast on their migratory run.

It's like clockwork really. Happens every year & can last weeks.

Hodgey, was it a howling westerly the other day? I'd bet there were plenty of jew waiting where the mouth of the system should have been as well.

Cheers,

Grant.

Mullet school up in the estuaries this time of year & head out to sea & up the coast on their migratory run.

It's like clockwork really. Happens every year & can last weeks.

Hodgey, was it a howling westerly the other day? I'd bet there were plenty of jew waiting where the mouth of the system should have been as well.

Cheers,

Grant.

Fluctuating West/Souwest ... wish I had known about the jewies Grant!

Skip

There were mullet in hawthorne canal about two weeks ago

They were huge i mean some of them would of been over a kg

They were feeding on some tiny things in the water. They would open there mouths and scoop up the water in there mouths while they were on the surface.

They left about 1 week ago when the freshwater came in.

Cheers hazza

I was over near Tunks park and saw a school of about 150 of them about a week ago and they too were massive. They were swimming around on the top of the water looking pretty casual. A small shark or some kings would have had a field day as long as mullet taste ok.

interesting, never heard about the mullet rains. So after they have migrated, there won't be many left in the estuaries for some time right?

How long is it before they start to return? Beginning of spring to breed?