Braid Problems

adjustedpete

Im running a diawa oceano 4500 with 30lb braid on it and 60lb mono leader, all less than 3 months old. my problem is that my braid keeps breaking. Im doing a uni knot at the swivel and thats where its breaking I think. It doesnt seem to matter how my drag is set, after 2 or 3 runs it breaks. I have lost at least 5 kingies and its doing my head in. Are there specific knotts for braid that I should be using? or has anyone some advice that will help me.

Im running a diawa oceano 4500 with 30lb braid on it and 60lb mono leader, all less than 3 months old. my problem is that my braid keeps breaking. Im doing a uni knot at the swivel and thats where its breaking I think. It doesnt seem to matter how my drag is set, after 2 or 3 runs it breaks. I have lost at least 5 kingies and its doing my head in. Are there specific knotts for braid that I should be using? or has anyone some advice that will help me.

Hey dude

Is the line breaking, or is the knot coming undone? How can you tell (i hear you ask...) - often if it breaks, the line is frayed, or a clean cut (bitten off often). If the knot came undone, the line is often crimped or curled - it's not straight.

The Uni knot (tied correctly) is a good knot for braid. So it should work.

So here's my suggestions:

1) Check it's not breaking. Cheap braid may be the problem.

2) Check you're tying the knot properly. There are some good online guides.

3) Practise practise practise. Check your knot by pulling hard on the line, and seeing if it is coming undone.

Good luck :-)

Mike

Why dont u try to do an albright knot to join your braid and leader and then do a uni knot to the swivel and another length of leader via uni knot again after the swivel. dont forget to lubricate the knots before pulling.

Hey dude

Is the line breaking, or is the knot coming undone? How can you tell (i hear you ask...) - often if it breaks, the line is frayed, or a clean cut (bitten off often). If the knot came undone, the line is often crimped or curled - it's not straight.

The Uni knot (tied correctly) is a good knot for braid. So it should work.

So here's my suggestions:

1) Check it's not breaking. Cheap braid may be the problem.

2) Check you're tying the knot properly. There are some good online guides.

3) Practise practise practise. Check your knot by pulling hard on the line, and seeing if it is coming undone.

Good luck :-)

Mike

Thanx Mike, The break is frayed. Can you recomend a quality braid? I have those online guides and I have had no problems with knotts untill I started to use braid. hmmmm I think I will have to start from the beginning and go over everything again....Or... Maybe Im just catching really big fish...... :074::074::074:

This will cure your problem, double over about 25cm's of braid, use this to tie an improved albright knot to your leader, then tie your swivel or hook the the leader.

Try it and you will see it does work..

This will cure your problem, double over about 25cm's of braid, use this to tie an improved albright knot to your leader, then tie your swivel or hook the the leader.

Try it and you will see it does work..

Never really thought about tying a knot with double strands of braid. Sounds like a good idea.

mate i think that your problem is with your knot. Braid and mono are completely different. Your knots in mono may hold but braid is much more slippery. I would bet that your knots are slipping rather then the braid breaking. A uni knot is fine with braid but you will need to use 2-3 times as many turns as you do when tieing it in mono.

I agree with Ray and always tie a short double in my braid before connecting to either swivel or leader material. I find the the double provides better knot strength. For my double i use a spider hitch and for connecting leaders a double uni knot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I am only learning myself about saltwater fishing. I have just read an article in fishing tips and techniques mag issue 19. There is an articl about braid lines. Gelspun,teflon,silicone etc. it tells about the whats what very intresting if you can get your hands on a copy might be woth it. Or you can subscribe to the mag about $35 per year. They also have back issues.

good luck

Snakebite