What To Do With Carp?

royboy

Hi raiders.

I missed the Parra carp out last weekend but was thinking of having a go this weekend at these ugly mud sucking super-sized goldfish to see how they fight.

Anyway, if I do manage to hook up to one of these and I emphasise the "if", what do I do with it?

Do I;

- let it go?

- kill it and take it home to dispose of in the bin?

- take a shovel with me and bury it?

- hang it up a tree as a warning to other carp?

- toss it into the bush for the feral cats to feed off?

- cremate it on the barbeque?

As you can see, my thoughts vary with my varying views on carp, from an unwanted feral pest of waterways to a potential biological hazard.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi raiders.

I missed the Parra carp out last weekend but was thinking of having a go this weekend at these ugly mud sucking super-sized goldfish to see how they fight.

Anyway, if I do manage to hook up to one of these and I emphasise the "if", what do I do with it?

Do I;

- let it go?

- kill it and take it home to dispose of in the bin?

- take a shovel with me and bury it?

- hang it up a tree as a warning to other carp?

- toss it into the bush for the feral cats to feed off?

- cremate it on the barbeque?

As you can see, my thoughts vary with my varying views on carp, from an unwanted feral pest of waterways to a potential biological hazard.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

dont let it go ,feral things . bin ,burn or bury it. take it home dig a hole throw it in and plant something

on top of it will grow like crazy, just bury it deep enough so it wont smell .

Royboy

The best thing to do is scale it then take the sides off it.Vac seal it and then put it in the freezer.

The next time you head out to do some flattie fishing take it with you as this is top bait i use it all the time.

Cheers

Bob

Hmmm.. that's a thought. Might see if I've enough courage to touch the ugly b@st@rds.

Cheers.

Hmmm.. that's a thought. Might see if I've enough courage to touch the ugly b@st@rds.

Cheers.

Put it in a big pot with some garlic, onion, tomato, salt and pepper

get it boiling then add your carp and a rock

When the rock goes soft, eat the rock :)

Edited by Yeeros

what's so wrong with the carp anyway?

excuse my ignorance.

They're an introduced species, and are a pest to our waterways. They eat A LOT, and their diet is basically the same as our native species. Breed like crazy.... this fish doesn't have many predators either.

Royboy

The best thing to do is scale it then take the sides off it.Vac seal it and then put it in the freezer.

The next time you head out to do some flattie fishing take it with you as this is top bait i use it all the time.

Cheers

Bob

Bob,

Just make sure you don't do this in SA. Hefty fines for even using Carp as bait. Took this picture several years ago of a sign on the Cooper Creek. $150,000 fine if you are caught.

Good to see though as the whole 2 weeks was Yellowbelly after Yellowbelly.

post-7428-1241780432_thumb.jpg

I hear on a lot of fishing shows nowadays where they are quoting DPI as saying that the fight against carp is a losing battle and that it makes no difference whether you toss 'em back or kill 'em. :1prop:

Not sure where they get their info from but this is from DPI website and I quote:

"Don’t return pest fish to the water – if you catch a pest fish, kill it humanely and dispose of it appropriately."

I don't think there's a fine in NSW for throwing them back in the water, anyone know if there is and where it is written?

cheers :beersmile:

Hooky

I hear on a lot of fishing shows nowadays where they are quoting DPI as saying that the fight against carp is a losing battle and that it makes no difference whether you toss 'em back or kill 'em. :1prop:

Not sure where they get their info from but this is from DPI website and I quote:

"Don’t return pest fish to the water – if you catch a pest fish, kill it humanely and dispose of it appropriately."

I don't think there's a fine in NSW for throwing them back in the water, anyone know if there is and where it is written?

cheers :beersmile:

Hooky

It isn't illegal to release carp into the water where caught. It is highly recommended to kill and dispose of the fish away from the waterway. What is illegal is to transport the fish and release it into another waterway.

:1welcomeani: hi, we use carp in my part of the world to fertilise tomato plants, dig a hole to a depth about 6 inches below the depth the plant will be and bury carp, when you plant tomatoes in spring the fish will be nicely broken down and is excellent nourishment for plant... tomato and onion sangers sure taste better than carp believe me

It isn't illegal to release carp into the water where caught. It is highly recommended to kill and dispose of the fish away from the waterway. What is illegal is to transport the fish and release it into another waterway.

Spot on Glenn. Further to that, it is legal to use carp fillets as bait (especially for snapper and flathead), but it is ILLEGAL to use them as live bait

Cheers

Hodgey

fishgut is spot on they are great fertiliser for the vegie garden but like has been said make sure they are buried deep enough otherwise they stink and the local cats tend to start digging in your garden.