Bonito Gone Mad!

Mercer007

Hey Raiders,

Was up this morning before the sun and headed to Avoca to try my luck.

Arrived just on day break and decided to do a little bottom bashing.

One and a half hours goes by and not even a bite.

Moved aroud the rocks a bit further and decided to spin some metal lures for a bit.

Had an absolute cracker of an hour. Lost 2 slugs caught 5 bonito around 45 to 55cm mark.

In the hour I was there spinning, at least 60 of these fish were caught.

I hooked another and it took me straight under a rock ledge. Pop, there goes my last lure.

Headed off home and booted up the computed and Ray R PM'd me saying he was heading down on a squid hunt.

Packed a few lures and jigs, then back to the rocks for round two.

I met up with Ray R and Hodgey1 and tried squidding for an hour or so with no luck.

Ray R landed a beaut. ( Bit of jew bait I believe.)

Loaded a rod with some squid and within half an hour landed a nice fat Brim for tea.

Heres some pictures I took this morning.

Happy fishing.

Cheers

Peter

post-10077-1241848882_thumb.jpgpost-10077-1241848850_thumb.jpg

post-10077-1241849067_thumb.jpgSome other pics

post-10077-1241848737_thumb.jpg

Nice bonitos and bream, was the wine during or after the fishing session?

Hi,

Always after, sometimes during, rarely before....

Hope this helps

Cheers :beersmile:

Nice bonitos and bream, was the wine during or after the fishing session?

Hi,

Always after, sometimes during, rarely before....

Hope this helps

Cheers :beersmile:

Any one live baiting down there? Been getting some nice Mac Tuna up to 8kg amongst these massive schools of bonnies on the mid north coast. Losing heaps of livies , but if you keep feeding them out you eventually get connected to a tuna ( don't know what hapened to the Longtails this year, maybe it is about to happen)

Do you eat the bonito and are they nice

Caught one once in between the sydney heads - went really well as it was hooked on a 3'6 rod. :thumbup:

Bonito are wonderful prepared the right way1

A celebrity chef named Tetsuya, yeh, that Tetsuya, the one with the best restaurant in Southe east asia/Oceania taught me this one.

1 Fillet the bonito leave skin on

2 Pick out the pin bones

3. Spread coarse rock salt on a matal tray

4. Lay the fillets flesh side down on the salt

5 place unbder a screaming hot overhead griller or better, burn the skin quickly and evenly with a propane torch. The idea is to cook only the fat layer under the skin - 2 or 3mm.

6.Place fillets skin side up on a cutting board and slice across fillet at a slight angle into slices 8-10mm thick using a razor sharp knife like a Santoku or japanese sashimi knife.

7. arrange slices overlapping on a serving plate and drizzle with "tsetsuya's viniagrette for oysters" then serve! Bon Appetit!!!

Tetsuya's Vinaigrette for Oysters is basically Good Extra Virgin Olive oil, lime Juice, Ponzu (japanese soy flavoured with a Lime like native citrus) mustard seeds.

Ive done this and its seriously, seriously, a candidate for that time when someone asks you what you want for you last meal!

Give it a go. If you want you can buy the Tetsuya's Vinaigrette at a certain major department store "food hall".

Cheers

Chris

:beersmile:

G'day Peter, mate that is a nice haul of horsies, and that bream you got was a beauty.

That chap you met this morning is Hutcho1 not Hodgey1, and your casting is really improving too..

Cheers...

G'day Peter, mate that is a nice haul of horsies, and that bream you got was a beauty.

That chap you met this morning is Hutcho1 not Hodgey1, and your casting is really improving too..

Sorry Hutcho1, my bad. Yeah Ray, I was stoked with today's haul. My casting has improved thank's to you mate, and I got the half hitch down pat to secure my bait to the keeper hook. Will try my luck in the morning, fingers crossed.......

Bonito are wonderful prepared the right way1

A celebrity chef named Tetsuya, yeh, that Tetsuya, the one with the best restaurant in Southe east asia/Oceania taught me this one.

1 Fillet the bonito leave skin on

2 Pick out the pin bones

3. Spread coarse rock salt on a matal tray

4. Lay the fillets flesh side down on the salt

5 place unbder a screaming hot overhead griller or better, burn the skin quickly and evenly with a propane torch. The idea is to cook only the fat layer under the skin - 2 or 3mm.

6.Place fillets skin side up on a cutting board and slice across fillet at a slight angle into slices 8-10mm thick using a razor sharp knife like a Santoku or japanese sashimi knife.

7. arrange slices overlapping on a serving plate and drizzle with "tsetsuya's viniagrette for oysters" then serve! Bon Appetit!!!

Tetsuya's Vinaigrette for Oysters is basically Good Extra Virgin Olive oil, lime Juice, Ponzu (japanese soy flavoured with a Lime like native citrus) mustard seeds.

Ive done this and its seriously, seriously, a candidate for that time when someone asks you what you want for you last meal!

Give it a go. If you want you can buy the Tetsuya's Vinaigrette at a certain major department store "food hall".

Cheers

Chris

:beersmile:

Sounds great. Like something I saw on Iron Chef (the Japanese series) Like a carpaccio. Will give this a try.

Bon Apatite!

G'day Pete

Sorry about the late reply but great post the breambo was a beauty and the bonnies are great fun. I've almost given up trying to work out when they will turn up. Nice to meet you and hope to catch you soon around the rocks. No worries with the name mix up, I bet Hodgey 1 is a great bloke too!!!

Regards, Hutcho