Man I Did A Good Job On The Net This Arvo!

GregL

This afternoon I had my a$$ well and truely whiped!

Well done Evan on 2 beautiful Sydney reds mate, you were on fire!

Not a bad effort for a quick late arvo session.

Big one went 6kg neat on the scales and around mid seventies as the measure on my net only goes to 70cm.

Fished the northern beaches between 14-30m.

post-3563-1242037001_thumb.jpg

Nice 6kg model in the afternoon sun

post-3563-1242037021_thumb.jpg

Greg

Thanks all

Man that was some good snappers, tasted great!

We tried to release the big one but just wouldn't revive :( .

None will go to waste so I don't feel to bad.

Good returns for only 3 drifts!

I forgot the camera on the trip :mad3: , just got a new Canon D5 as well!

Then I remembered the phone......

Not bad for a mobile!

Greg

Edited by GregL

Those are a couple of nice Reddies your mate EVAN got there. I reckon hes got to much practice from NZ.

Nah mate, it's all ass!

A freaking hairy ugly one at that! :blink:

CSG can vouch for that!

Greg

Thanks all

Man that was some good snappers, tasted great!

We tried to release the big one but just wouldn't revive :( .

None will go to waste so I don't feel to bad.

Good returns for only 3 drifts!

I forgot the camera on the trip :mad3: , just got a new Canon D5 as well!

Then I remembered the phone......

Not bad for a mobile!

Greg

Hi Greg

I am new to SP fishing for snapper.So with fishing for snapper with SP, do you normally drift or should you anchor, and if you anchor up what is the max depth you would anchor in. Would burleying help if anchored up. I have had some success with gulp jerk shad 5 inch in camo with bream in the river(Port Hacking) fishing the pontoons. Do you sound for the fish or do you look for structure with snapper SP fishing? I have a furuno 585 with 1 kw tranny.

Thank you.

Regards Kit

BTW well done they are top reds

Edited by cruisecraft

Hi Greg

I am new to SP fishing for snapper.So with fishing for snapper with SP, do you normally drift or should you anchor, and if you anchor up what is the max depth you would anchor in. Would burleying help if anchored up. I have had some success with gulp jerk shad 5 inch in camo with bream in the river(Port Hacking) fishing the pontoons. Do you sound for the fish or do you look for structure with snapper SP fishing? I have a furuno 585 with 1 kw tranny.

Thank you.

Regards Kit

BTW well done they are top reds

Hi Kit

Mate haven't really done a huge amount of snappering, really only been doing it for a year or so on plastics.

Years ago I use to anchor and drift bait reds down burley trails. Caught heaps of nice fish but nothing like these days. The quality of the reds we now catch by just fishing plastics is amazing. We drift fish as we want to cover ground. It's more of a numbers game, the more area you get your lure threw the more bites you should get....

It's not really worth burleying when drifting as we fish new ground every drift. I think boat noise puts them off so once you go threw an area we move slightly to cover new ground specailly in the depths we fish.

The depths I fish are usually all less than 35m just so I can fish light and we are getting fish here.

I have pulled some stonkers out of washes in 6m of water so don't ever think it's to shallow!

On 5" J/shads in 10-20m of water I usually use 3/8-1/2oz heads in a 4/0. Cast as far forward of the drifting boat as you can, pull some slack line into the water so the lure drops straight down on loose line. 80% of the bites happen here on the drop! Watch the line and you will see a bump in the line from either a fish or the lure hitting the bottom. If it's a fish strike HARD! They have hard boney mouths and it's amazing how many drop the hook so really jam it home!

Ever fished for flathead with a double whip retreive? same thing here. Half way back I burn the lure back and recast.

Sounders.

I use my sounder for snappering to either find new ground, see depth or find bait. Drop offs are nice and broken scattered stuff is what I usually target but it must have bait on it or I usually wont even stop.

The GPS plotter is even more important IMO.

It must have a good detailed mapping card in it. This is how we find areas to hit. I can sit down at the boat before even moving and hunt out new spots by scrolling and looking for tight packed contour lines that show steep drops and reefs. We have even found areas in past posts 4-5hour drives away and go in blind and smash em every trip. It works that well!

Theres heaps more to the puzzle but that's the few points I can give that I know make a big difference to my catch rates. Next is to just get out there and leave the bait at home!

If you want to crack the code you must be single minded. Put your self a target of say 3 trips in a row with no bait on the boat......

I take 2 rods and 1 tray of jig heads and a bag of plastics and that's it. Simple and easy fishing!

Greg

Hi Kit

Mate haven't really done a huge amount of snappering, really only been doing it for a year or so on plastics.

Years ago I use to anchor and drift bait reds down burley trails. Caught heaps of nice fish but nothing like these days. The quality of the reds we now catch by just fishing plastics is amazing. We drift fish as we want to cover ground. It's more of a numbers game, the more area you get your lure threw the more bites you should get....

It's not really worth burleying when drifting as we fish new ground every drift. I think boat noise puts them off so once you go threw an area we move slightly to cover new ground specailly in the depths we fish.

The depths I fish are usually all less than 35m just so I can fish light and we are getting fish here.

I have pulled some stonkers out of washes in 6m of water so don't ever think it's to shallow!

On 5" J/shads in 10-20m of water I usually use 3/8-1/2oz heads in a 4/0. Cast as far forward of the drifting boat as you can, pull some slack line into the water so the lure drops straight down on loose line. 80% of the bites happen here on the drop! Watch the line and you will see a bump in the line from either a fish or the lure hitting the bottom. If it's a fish strike HARD! They have hard boney mouths and it's amazing how many drop the hook so really jam it home!

Ever fished for flathead with a double whip retreive? same thing here. Half way back I burn the lure back and recast.

Sounders.

I use my sounder for snappering to either find new ground, see depth or find bait. Drop offs are nice and broken scattered stuff is what I usually target but it must have bait on it or I usually wont even stop.

The GPS plotter is even more important IMO.

It must have a good detailed mapping card in it. This is how we find areas to hit. I can sit down at the boat before even moving and hunt out new spots by scrolling and looking for tight packed contour lines that show steep drops and reefs. We have even found areas in past posts 4-5hour drives away and go in blind and smash em every trip. It works that well!

Theres heaps more to the puzzle but that's the few points I can give that I know make a big difference to my catch rates. Next is to just get out there and leave the bait at home!

If you want to crack the code you must be single minded. Put your self a target of say 3 trips in a row with no bait on the boat......

I take 2 rods and 1 tray of jig heads and a bag of plastics and that's it. Simple and easy fishing!

Greg

Wow Greg,

Thanks for the detailed reply, and all the great advice(very helpful to all Raiders here, planning to fish for reds on plastics). I will put your helpful advice to practice over the coming weeks although this weekend(Sunday) looks like it might be a yellow fin trip out wide.Thank you for taking the time and the great info.Isn't this a fantastic site!Good onya mate.

Regards Kit

No worries Kit, that's what The Raider is all about mate :thumbup:

nice fish m8 :thumbup: ...monday arvos tide was 7ish? u guys got them on the upcoming?.......ever need a fishing companion on weekdays? :biggrin2:

cheers

alex

Hi Alex.

To all you guys that look at tides and moon phases when you go fishing, YOU GUYS ARE TO SPOILT!

Mate I go when ever I can get out.

I wish I had that much fishing time that I could go in "so called peak times" but I have only been able to get out 3 days in something like 10 weeks and all three have been half days.

That's one of the main reasons I bought the boat I got, just to get me out and back fast to maxumise my fishing time.

I have about 5 Sydney marks I hit so far. Each time I go out I just fish them in rotation till I find the fish. Hopefully I try hit one more spot per trip to try broarden my run.

I always have the sounder and plotter on while running out and back and try never to run the same lines and ALWAYS watch the sounder. Any little hump or drop that has bait on it I drop a mark on the plotter for further exploritory runs. Doing this I get to grid the bottom with my plotter, hunting anything intersting that might hold fish. Over time I should get some interesting information from it and every bit of info helps.

G