Rusting Reels?

Juzza

Well, my penn applause 2500 reels arnt doing too great after about 10 sessions near salt water. Probably the gears are rusted as it keeps locking up. Obviously they werent designed for salt water going anywhere near them!!! Even with the rinsing and oiling. Thats not to say they're bad reels, 5 ball bearings and a smoothish drag, they do their job.

Compared to say the upper range of reels, what feature does it lack that allows it to be easily subject to the elements? I was looking at the Daiwa sol, could you possibly dunk that into salt water and get away with it? I was playing with one this week...sooo tempting to buy (have to find the money first).

Justin :1fishing1:

The Sol is not a fully waterproof reel only the drag is waterproof. So you wouldnt dunk it in saltwater. But the difference is the bearings. Theyve got some sort of rust protection on it but not all of them. Saying that Ive got the 2500Sol since it first came out and still going strong No rust last time I opened and serviced it so I would say they are good. Shimanos are good as well as I think they got the fluid drive which u can put oil at the maintainance port w/o leaking. Or If u want a full waterproof reel you have to get a stella or a saltiga.

Im not a pro, dont know if theres any other reels in the shimano or daiwa range w/c is fully waterproof.

Im sure some Raiders will be able to help u with this topic.

Goodluck,

JON

Hi Juzza -

Dont think there are too many reels that tolerate much saltwater immersion (some of the real high end gear may cope without too many issues).

Regardless, think any reel that has been dunked should have some remedial treatment ASAP.

Suspect if you have a seizure with your Penn it may be in a bearing rather than gears as you would expect the gears to still have a good coating of grease from when it was assembled being only 10 trips old.

Some of the features you may see on the more exy reels that help in waterproofing are O'ring seals on drag assemblies & shaft entries, also drain points that allow water to escape the reel + anti corrosion bearings and generally tight tolerances in manufacture also aid in keeping the salty stuff out to some extent.

Get hold of the latest Daiwa or Shimmano taclke catalogues they waffle on about this sort of stuff more than me :074:

John

Blood Knot is spot on... as far as I know about the only reels made that can cope with being immersed in salt water are Alveys. If, as I think you might be saying, you dunked your Penn... rinsing and oiling won't do the job... a dunked reel needs to be stripped down, cleaned, re-lubed and reassembled... as soon as you get home.

If you rinse them under high pressure spray you can actually force salt and crud into the reel instead of off it. Using the wrong lubricants can also stuff a reel.

Let us know a few more details about what happened to the reel and how you 'serviced' it and some members might be able to help prevent the same thing happening.

I have the same reel... I've had it for about 7 or 8 years and it's always used for salt water fishing, and is still as smooth as the day I got it (in a bargain bin for about $35.... :074: ).

Cheers, Slinky

Well, currently im 2 hours away from the reels so theres not much i can do. From what it sounds iv been pretty bad at maintaining the reels. The reels havnt really been dunked but salt water has fallen ontop of them when the drag was loosened

The way i serviced it: -Once back from a session from where its been near/in salt :thumbdown: it is taken to the shower and washed with warm water do get all the external salt/dirt off. Then dried.

-Drag is taken apart and cleaned (these dont seem to be the probelm right now)

-Take apart the bail off, and the casing where the part are located, i take them apart and try to get am much sand off them as possible and regrease. The problem is reassembling.

That about it for my full strip down, i have tried to take off the main shaft but it doesnt budge (probably something i missed).

By a full strip down do you mean right down into this place, where the bearings and gears are located?

Truthfully i think i need have a re-read of the product information. And try it again!

Just wondering, what kind of different lubricants do you use for certain parts of the reel?

If not dried properly, fresh water can cause the internals to rust too, especially if all the salt did not get dried off properly.

Unfortunately, once sand gets in the working of a reel, it is goodnight. Happened to one of my reels and it's never been the same.

For lubes - Inox spray and Inox grease and that Shimano oil for moving bits.

By a full strip down do you mean right down into this place, where the bearings and gears are located?

Yes if its been dunked.

I know some people like to shower with a friend but would not take my gear into a hot or warm shower - far too much water, steam & condensation for my liking.

Suggest tightening drag then a quick rinse under a gentle flowing tap, wipe dry, spray inox (or similar) then little light oil on bail roller bearings (buy a needle oiler if you can) then wipe with cloth to remove excess Inox. Back off drag when completed.

If you have got sand in the internals - only remedy is flush with water do not wind reel if you can help it ( just does more damage). Then strip down reel, clean away any more sand and relube / re assemble.

Just my opinion others do there own thing and get good results too.

John

G'day Juzza,

A full strip down means dissassembling the reel completely... only do it if you're completely confident you know what you're doing and can put it all back together again, otherwise take it back to the tackle shop or contact the distributor.

To make it easier, make sure you have the schematic diagram for your reel. Work in an area without clutter and with very good lighting. As you disassemble, do it in stages... handle, spool, drag, internals, etc.

Lay out the parts in the order in which you remove them, on a clean white cloth or towel (I have a couple of cloth nappies for the purpose). This makes it less likely you'll misplace parts and helps you remember how it all goes back together.

Clean the parts one at a time in white spirits, kero or something similar (but not any plastic or rubber parts... they may be damaged by solvents) then put them back in place to dry.

When dry reassemble your reel, lubricating parts as you go. When I do my reels, internal gears and drive shafts get grease (I use Shimano Permalube or Rocket Fuel Liquid Grease but there's heaps of good brands); bearings, line roller and shaft get Rocket Fuel High Speed Reel Oil (again, lots of good brands but DON'T grease reel bearings... it just clags them up); drags get whatever suits... 'wet' drags get Shimano Ace 2 drag grease... 'dry' drags get Shimano Unilght... (some drags don't use lubricant having teflon washers or similar instead... I don't have any reels like that because the drags just aren't good enough... just check or ask on Fishraider first if unsure)

The outside of my reels get a light coat of Innox or Lannox.

Hope this helps even if it's a bit OTT by way of an answer.

Cheers, Slinky

i think i found the problem, opened up the reel today finally, and it wasnt the 'rusting' . I was thinking the problem is at the 'pole' where the main shaft runs along. It seems to have detached? and it makes the whole structure rub against the gears which was why it made the reel turning rigid at times.

Anyone have a solution to fixing it? super glue ......pushing it back into its groove..?

post-6561-1243036121_thumb.jpg

post-6561-1243036135_thumb.jpg

Also, when the oscilating slider hits the bottom and top, the gear seems to get stuck...possibly something wrong with the track behind it?

This probably has happened to both my reels!

Edited by Juzza

G'day Juzza,

It's a bit hard to tell what the problem is from the pics and description... it's kind of one of those things I usually diagnose by having a play with the reel. If there's something broken inside though, super glue won't fix it.

Are you able to put arrows or something on the pics to indicate which part you mean by the pole, etc?

Cheers, Slinky

i kayak fish and i've killed many reels

found out weeks ago that shimano will grease proof it for u for FREE

when you buy a new reel

i plan to service it every 3-4months

every 10-15 outtings

yes it gets dunked , and sprayed

i wonder if thats why the slade clicker broke 5times fighting a fish

have a sedona now, hope its ok

was told also by the shimano guy to pull the handle out and rinse it after every trip

this is because they can't service it if they can't get ur handle out because its jammed with salt... happened to my stradic

never spray ur reel just wipe it as water may push more salt into it