Had It With Gulp!

slinkymalinky

Is anyone else completely over GULP!... I realised over the weekend that I haven't bought any GULPs for ages and I doubt I ever will again. They're great plastics but I'm sick to death of the juice getting all over me, all over my tackle, all through my bags, etc, etc. :1badmood:

The last few trips out I've fished mostly with Squidgie Pros, Powerbaits & Guzzlers and love em. Occasionally GULPs seem to outfish other plastics but often they don't... particularly when I use a scent with them... and the creeping stench is just not worth the slight advantage.

The stupid zip lock gulp bags don't ever keep the juice in when re-sealed and I'm sure that it eats its way thru anything else you try to use (it certainly seems to get everywhere even when you think its in an air-tight container).

No more GULPs for me once my current supply is gone! JH... you can have the ones in my plastic lunchbox next time we're out together, and any left-overs from any open bag on any trip... I'm over it :mad3:

Cheers, Slinky

Is anyone else completely over GULP!... I realised over the weekend that I haven't bought any GULPs for ages and I doubt I ever will again. They're great plastics but I'm sick to death of the juice getting all over me, all over my tackle, all through my bags, etc, etc. :1badmood:

The last few trips out I've fished mostly with Squidgie Pros, Powerbaits & Guzzlers and love em. Occasionally GULPs seem to outfish other plastics but often they don't... particularly when I use a scent with them... and the creeping stench is just not worth the slight advantage.

The stupid zip lock gulp bags don't ever keep the juice in when re-sealed and I'm sure that it eats its way thru anything else you try to use (it certainly seems to get everywhere even when you think its in an air-tight container).

No more GULPs for me once my current supply is gone! JH... you can have the ones in my plastic lunchbox next time we're out together, and any left-overs from any open bag on any trip... I'm over it :mad3:

Cheers, Slinky

That's a very positive post Slinky, I tried to quote excerpts from it but found your post to be well balanced in its complete form... There's no way I'll be using gulps but I'm very interested in hearing your opinion on the scents you use or the new ones so you can compare your results when using the Squidgie Pros, the Powerbaits and the Guzzlers etc.............Adding cod liver oil to the burley and to the bait used to be the go but it appears it's hard to find a source for cod liver oil in it's natural concentrated form these days as they tend to refine it, take the odour out and use it for medicinal purposes.... However it seems there is a source for it but as to where and what quantity one would have to buy, I don't know......

Good topic mate, in fact it would be helpful for all of us to see a topic about fish attracting scents when you and Grant find a hot spot on bait and switch over to sp/s, comparying and naming the better performing hi teck scents during your outings up there....

Cheers mate

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I agree Tony. The gulps come in zip lock bags which are supposed to keep the juices in. But you find they leak everywhere and stink to high heaven. I bought some slam as well, see how they go whether they leak as well.

#1Son came up with a solution for the leaking as he likes the Gulps.

He buys the plastic jars of a particular sports drink powder, when he has finished it he washes them out, and puts his Gulps in these. No more leaks and no more smelly tackle bag.

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanager

Most people associate plastics fishing with freedom from stinking bait smells .. how wrong that can be! :1prop: I have used florescent yellow garlic scents, Gulp, tubed scents, synthetic bait, and everything else in between. I keep all my gulps in an old Tuppeware container, which has reduced the smell in the tackle bag and has all but stopped any leakage.

Sometimes, the Gulp scent gives you that little 'edge' you need to turn a mediocre session into a good one, and other times I swear the scent actually repels the buggers! So now I compromise....

I still use Gulp for my flathead fishing, but my bream, bass and Ep plastics are generally normal plastics such as Bulky hawgs, Guzzlers, Squidgy Pros, and so on. Yes, these do have a scent, but the lures are impregnated with it as opposed to swimming in it. Now I use one of two pheremone-based tubed scents, and apply this to my blades, the skirts of my spinnerbaits, and the bibs of my hardbodies. Most importantly, the use of tubed scent then becomes a secondary option, not an unavoidable one.

Unfortunately Slinky, I have had too many sessions on the water where my Gulp has outfished another blokes unscented plastics by a substantial margin, so I put up with the smell. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Skip

A shame you are having all these probs with your gulps mate, I don't have all that big a problem with them , sure they smell a bit and get the odd bit of juice here and there, but they sure do get ya fish probably alot more than the others especially the flatties..

Cheers..

Edited by Ray R

ive only used gulps a couple of times and the juice of it goes every were and it realy stinks. i prefer to use the squidigy pro because they dont leak juice and they come with the s-factor and i find it helps (i dont catch much compared to the rest of u fishos). the only way i seemed to reduce the leekage was to put the gulp bag in a frezzer bags and them put them into another zip lock bag seems to hlp the leakege (but hasnt helped withe the smell)

I agree Tony. The gulps come in zip lock bags which are supposed to keep the juices in. But you find they leak everywhere and stink to high heaven. I bought some slam as well, see how they go whether they leak as well.

hey chopper i got a couple of packs of the slams when they came out and i found out they leek as bad as the gulps.

fisherboy :1fishing1:

I'll take 'em mate!!! :thumbup:

Then I'm going to catch all the fish on them & watch you beg me for some back! :074::074:

I'm a bit over the leaking stinky bags as well but hey, they work.

Whether or not they are more effective than other placcies I don't know.

So how many hundreds of packets do I get? :074:

Cheers,

Grant.

I'm almost with you. Not so much from the leaking or the smell. I put them in a jar and use chopsticks to take them out, so I dont have a real problem. What I hate is the dodgy manufacturing of the patterns. sometimes I buy packs of the gulp shrimp and 50% of them are bent out of shape. Some people I talk to insist they still work fine. I've only really just started chasing bream on them so I can't confirm or deny, but I am never confident using them. I have caught some nice bream on the good ones though

Edited by yakfishing

I had the same problem but I thought if I got a water proof container I can throw all my plastics in together and now I just open the one container and just choose from the variety thats on offer. It has elimated all the bags and easier to find and change the plastic!!

Cheers

ive only used gulps a couple of times and the juice of it goes every were and it realy stinks. i prefer to use the squidigy pro because they dont leak juice and they come with the s-factor and i find it helps (i dont catch much compared to the rest of u fishos). the only way i seemed to reduce the leekage was to put the gulp bag in a frezzer bags and them put them into another zip lock bag seems to hlp the leakege (but hasnt helped withe the smell)

hey chopper i got a couple of packs of the slams when they came out and i found out they leek as bad as the gulps.

fisherboy :1fishing1:

I was afraid you would say that.

That's a shame Slinky ! As a result I foresee a Gulp sale $$$$ as their sales will decrease substantially now :1prop:

From limited experience, I think that the main cause of the leaks is a combination of not resealing the packs properly (easily done when looking for a quick reload) and not having the packs upright. I have my packs upright in plastic ice cream containers, which limits spillage.

I must admit though that the scent is starting to grow on me…… :wacko:

Cheers,

Cam

I'm almost with you. Not so much from the leaking or the smell. I put them in a jar and use chopsticks to take them out, so I dont have a real problem. What I hate is the dodgy manufacturing of the patterns. sometimes I buy packs of the gulp shrimp and 50% of them are bent out of shape. Some people I talk to insist they still work fine. I've only really just started chasing bream on them so I can't confirm or deny, but I am never confident using them. I have caught some nice bream on the good ones though

I agree mate the shrimp especially can get really bent up in the packet.

I store all my gulps in the round gulp tub without too much spillage and it helps them keep their shape.

Most people associate plastics fishing with freedom from stinking bait smells .. how wrong that can be! :1prop: I have used florescent yellow garlic scents, Gulp, tubed scents, synthetic bait, and everything else in between. I keep all my gulps in an old Tuppeware container, which has reduced the smell in the tackle bag and has all but stopped any leakage.

Sometimes, the Gulp scent gives you that little 'edge' you need to turn a mediocre session into a good one, and other times I swear the scent actually repels the buggers! So now I compromise....

I still use Gulp for my flathead fishing, but my bream, bass and Ep plastics are generally normal plastics such as Bulky hawgs, Guzzlers, Squidgy Pros, and so on. Yes, these do have a scent, but the lures are impregnated with it as opposed to swimming in it. Now I use one of two pheremone-based tubed scents, and apply this to my blades, the skirts of my spinnerbaits, and the bibs of my hardbodies. Most importantly, the use of tubed scent then becomes a secondary option, not an unavoidable one.

Unfortunately Slinky, I have had too many sessions on the water where my Gulp has outfished another blokes unscented plastics by a substantial margin, so I put up with the smell. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Skip

can you mix all ya gulps in 1 container? different colours? in 1 container.

can you mix all ya gulps in 1 container? different colours? in 1 container.

Yes mate. I've been putting all my Gulp odds and ends together in a tupperware container for about 12 months and none of the colours have run. Still a pain in the preverbial though... Jewhunter is under instructions not to bother buying any until I run out as he's first in line for my offcasts. Hodgey is anxiously hoping JH doesn't hog them all. And I can't wait to get the stinky buggers off my hands. :074:

Cheers, Slinky

I agree mate the shrimp especially can get really bent up in the packet.

I store all my gulps in the round gulp tub without too much spillage and it helps them keep their shape.

I'm with Doug, the 2" shrimp is too deadly to by-pass just because you get smelly hands....Gulp Tub's are the go....I throw my half packs into the tub at the end of the session to ensure I haven't forgoten to seal then properly.....and then next session I can reach in and grab a new penny, natural, banana prawn or what ever takes my fancy....

Plus the Tubs are a great way to re-hydrate any packs you didn't seal propoerly....

As for applying S-Factor now that is a smelly process....but they are working on an S-factor pen I noticed in a recent Squidgy DVD I watched....

Edited by Poddy Trapper

I've given up on my gulp obsession. Had enough of small fish butchering them, dodgy tails, scent everywhere, bent lures etc. They are a good lure but you never know what you're going to get when you buy a packet, it's almost as if each pack has its own personallity.

Lately i've been fishing blades and i'm finding them a lot better. They cast better and you can use a faster retrieve and cover more water. I have also been catching alot more fish on them