Which Knot?

Yarraone

i have just bought a new SP setup and I am not sure which knot to use to join my mono to my braid?

The second knot, will be joining my braid to my leader?

Can I use the same knot?

How do I tie the best knots?

i will have 6lb to 8lb mono joining to 4lb braid(fireline), and then my braid to 8lb leader

thanks again guy's

I would use a double uni for both the mono to braid and braid to leader. If the braid is cutting through the mono or the leader when you tighten it then you can tie a double on your braid, i use a bimini. Or you can just double the braid over with no knot and tie the double uni with the doubled over bit. The doubling over sometimes helps stop the braid cutting throught the mono or leader.

i was using a improved albright but had a few fail on me so

i went to the 5 turn surgeon.

but i think i do not lube the knot enough and may be getting burn whilst locking my knot up.

So plenty of lube/saliva helps

Use the slim beauty knot with doubling the braid when connecting to ur leader. At least with this knot, the tag end of the leader will be facing the reel so wont get snagged on the guides when casting. Therefore you cast a bit further and avoid wind knots as much as possible.

I'll second the improved albright for braid to leader and then a perfection loop for the lure, I havent had this combination fail me yet. If you want I can pm you a link to a short video on how to tie both.

Cheers,

GUDude

Hi Yarraone...I don't think you can go wrong with a minimum wrap uni for the line class in the mono and a double line blood knot in the braid section with a couple of extra wraps and tighten the knot so that the wraps sit in, under and against the first wraps of the mono for low profile purposes... and for all other rig knots use double line blood knots again...the double line blood knot gives you a tag up the line and a loop near the eye of a swivel or hook if using one hook (the double line blood knot up the line can have a longer wrap section for toothy critters -or you can slip a short piece of lumo tubing over the double line blood knot to make a bird of it, if targetting same).... the loop returned to the feed thru end makes a four line sling at the eye and can be cut into two tags giving you three tags altogether and best knot strength as the knot itself exhausts up into the single line where the line rating takes over for strength rather then the knot which is not really a knot but a series of doubled wraps with locked in tags........

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

I would use a double uni for both the mono to braid and braid to leader. If the braid is cutting through the mono or the leader when you tighten it then you can tie a double on your braid, i use a bimini. Or you can just double the braid over with no knot and tie the double uni with the doubled over bit. The doubling over sometimes helps stop the braid cutting throught the mono or leader.

Can you elaborate on this mate ?

bimini in the braid .. so you get the loop (or double line as you may want to call it)

do you then double back the looped braid and use that to tie your uni/albright ?

stren knot for me

double uni has lost me some fish before

basically a uni knot 4 turns around the braid with the fluro

then a half blood 8 turns with the braid around the fluro

albright is good, tried it but its really hard to do when theres wind and ur on a kayak

i can do the stren knot with my eyes closed. and its not that much difficult than the double uni

i use half blood knots anyway to tie my jigheads

i use half blood knots anyway to tie my jigheads

It's a good idea to lock the half blood knot cj and tighten the knot right up but leave the loop formed by the locked blood knot a little above the eye, and then check the swimming action for loop length but still leave a few milimetres gap to the eye even if hard up works ok on the particular lure... When you get a hit, the knot will slip down to the eye of the hook and the slip will drive the hook in and increase your hook up rate particularly when you have a split second to hook up solid when a fish hits a lure....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer