Kingies And Squid

Wantingaboat

Hey All,

Ventured into the harbour yesterday solo at about 7am. Went straight from Drummoyne to Balmoral to get some yakkas and they were everywhere. Whilst i was catching them i watched a king cruise in and smash up a few of them. I quickly wacked a livie on a decent rod and cast it into slightly deeper water. About 5 minutes later i was on. Got him into the boat and he measured up at 60cm. Back in for him. Anyway caught some more yakkas and headed over to Clark island wreck. Stayed for about an hour for sweet FA. Ventured back to a place i have had good luck with and dropped down two livies. For the first time the kings hit my decent rod but this one smoked me big time. I was fishing with 50 pound braid with the drag up tight but he wanted to go and i wasnt stopping him. Dissapointed i put another on and about 30 minutes later another hit. This one was again boated but frustratingly measured 60cm again. I must say that i havent caught a great amount of kings but i felt this day was a success even though i didnt get a legal. All of mine seem to be right on 60cm and no smaller or bigger. Very weird. After giving up on the king hunt i went and tried to catch some squid. Headed over towards Watsons Bay and the water was clear and there was obvious kelp beds around + no wind. First cast and i was onto one. Got him in and when i was trying to put him into the LBT he feel off the hook. I bent down to pick him up and he blasted ink straight into my face and all over the boat. Wasnt happy. I had pleasure when i dropped him down at Clark Island again and something bit his head off. Shame i didnt hook anything with him. Anyway a few pictures of one of the kingines plus what the inker did to my boat and a look at my home made LBT. By the way yesterday was i think some of the best conditions i have ever seen in the harbour. Cheers. Mike.

post-9512-1243400831_thumb.jpg

post-9512-1243400821_thumb.jpg

post-9512-1243400840_thumb.jpg

Hi Wantingaboat..very impressive session Mike :thumbup: you've certainly come a long way since you joined Fishraider..... The size limit was a carefully calculated 60 cms for kingfish well before they raised the size limit to 65cms. It's back fired again in a way as it could be at the expense of the larger females.....Might be time to get hold of a downrigger or two and get a live squid down deep in a hurry and slow troll in a wide circle away from the school when the rats are up high as the hoodlums may not rise on the day...although they prefer to hover under of over structure in the sea, it's more a case of where and day suitabilty if you catch hoodlums up high in deep water like that even in Middle Harbour.........

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

G'day Mike,

You're doing the right things and getting good bait... it has to happen eventually that you hook one somewhere between 65cm and 'catchable'. No kingy fisho worth his salt has a wardrobe and boat entirely devoid of ink mate... it's a badge of honor. Wear it proudly :1prop:

Cheers, Slinky

well done on getting out there,sounds like it was a great session...

sometimes its luck that the bigger ones get to your bait before the rats,especially painfull when putting baits out to get the followers to see big kings hovering/looking and the smaller ones beat them to it....

fishing beats working so it was a success compared to my day.....

No kingy fisho worth his salt has a wardrobe and boat entirely devoid of ink mate... it's a badge of honor. Wear it proudly :1prop:

it can be an entertaining experiance especially when happening to someone else.. :074:

my :wife: said to me you wrecked your new shimano shirt after my first trip with it as i got inked a little bit. :1prop::1prop: she just doesnt get it....

cheers...steve......

Edited by roosterman