Problem With My Baitcaster

Coast_Bloke

Hey guys,

I got an issue with my baitcaster, I have had it for years, but only used it a handful of times (was a present). Its a cheapo silstar combo thing I guess, dont really know, but the issue is that almost every 1st or 2nd cast, the line gets caught up beside the spool. Its really annoying and makes the reel unusable. I have pulled it apart a few times now looking for nicks, or bad bearings, but it all "seems" ok. Pic with arrow below shows where its getting caught up.

You guys had this issue with other baitcasters that you have fixed?

Cheers

Hame.

post-574-1111571456_thumb.jpg

post-574-1111571468_thumb.jpg

post-574-1111571483_thumb.jpg

My brother had the same problem with an el-cheapo Jarvis Walker baitcaster reel from KMart. As I recall he ditched the dodgy reel and fitted a slightly more expensive reel. Fixed the problem in a second.

I guess the thing we didn't try was to spool the Jarvis Walker reel with braid. Maybe that would have worked as the factory fitted mono seemed to have plenty of memory.

38406[/snapback]

As braid has a thinner diameter, if you're casting ability isn't very good with a baitcaster then I would have thought it would be more likely to get caught behind the spool.

I have this problem occasionally on an abu reel that I have and I can really only blame my casting ability for when it happens. If you try tightening up the bearing cap or whatever cast control it has maybe that will help. Possibly the only way to overcome the problem is practice?

Cheers

Tim

Guest Jocool

Dont toss it Coasty.

Pull it apart, and take your wifes favourite nail polish. Run a line of nail polish on the rim of the frame where you have put your arrow. But dont get any on the spool. If it is a big gap, you may need to do it twice! :thumbup::thumbup:

Coats bloke i have seen this befor is your spool tension loose??

To check this leave the reel engaged place your thumb on the spool and move it from side to side , you may find that your spool has some movement due to the tension cap being backed off too much...

Hope this helps

Cheers Mick :1fishing1:

Jo is on to it.

I actually had to do this with an old 4/0 Everol I own - I went and bought gold nail polish :risata:

There is an article on high speed spinning reels in the latest Fishing World that mentions this same trick.

Cheers

Ken