Tailor And Rays ....

Another couple of weekends of being landbased and I was determined to get out for a fish. The Lake and its supporting system is very productive from a boat, but can be a real test from the bank. Those places that are easily accessible are usually well patronised or home to water skiers. I thought I would try hardbodies along some of the dropoffs that can be reached from the bank. My lure of choice was a gold Bomber ... nice tight action, a good weight to cast from the bank, and a great color scheme. Well, I was partly right ... caught nine of these buggers in a little over an hour :mad3: :

post-3198-1244452015_thumb.jpg

Great fun; but not exactly what I was looking for. Called it quits for the day and headed home to consider different options. Today was a superb day weather wise, so I thought I would try wading the lake near the entrance. I needn't have bothered. The sand is encroaching on most of the water from where the entrance should be, all the way to the boat ramp. The water is very cold (even in the shallows) and there is an abundance of weed and slime. I didn't cast a lure, but I did see a lot of bait in the shallows, as well as a lot of tennis-racket-sized rays. :1prop: I did see the occasional flathead lie, but they were very small. I have found flathead have been hiding around structure such as leases recently, so I will make a determined effort to get my hands on a tinny next weekend. Not a lot of action over the weekend, but fantastic weather for wandering waterways.

Cheers

Hodgey

post-3198-1244452051_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1244452081_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1244452105_thumb.jpg

You have a keen eye, very nice photos there Hodgey. Also do u have a polarised lens or something? Can see a lot of detail underwater without the blinding glare.

Snazzy looking outfit there as well, what size is it though?

Hey Hodgey. I think i remember correctly that you fish Lake Macquarie. We were there over the weekend and had a brilliant time. You are a true battler having a go land based. We tried about 30 different spots in the Lake but only one produced constant results. Next time i am up there i will send you a PM and maybe we can go for a quick flick together. By the way have you ever tried pink slam baits in the 4inch paddle tail minnow size? I tried and tried with that crap plastic and nothing wanted it. Cheers. Mike.

You have a keen eye, very nice photos there Hodgey. Also do u have a polarised lens or something? Can see a lot of detail underwater without the blinding glare.

Snazzy looking outfit there as well, what size is it though?

I don't have a polarised lens mate, and it took me a couple of attempts to get it right. Picture this if you will: a bloke doing his best impression of an egret wading through the shallows, then leaning forward and lowering himself to the water surface in order to 'bounce' the glare out of the shot ... certainly amusing to the tourists watching from the rocks :biggrin2:

The outfit is a Daiwa Sol 7' 1 pce 2-4kg rod matched to a Daiwa Sol 2000 reel. This is a great outfit though probably a little heavy for flatties. This things has got some muscle!

Hey Hodgey. I think i remember correctly that you fish Lake Macquarie. We were there over the weekend and had a brilliant time. You are a true battler having a go land based. We tried about 30 different spots in the Lake but only one produced constant results. Next time i am up there i will send you a PM and maybe we can go for a quick flick together. By the way have you ever tried pink slam baits in the 4inch paddle tail minnow size? I tried and tried with that crap plastic and nothing wanted it. Cheers. Mike.

GDay Mike. Most of my fishing is done around Tuross Lake and River system. I have yet to fish Lake Macquarie, but have been known to travel quite a way for a fish :biggrin2: I have used Slam! baits, but not the profile you described. I certainly haven't had the same success with them as I have with Gulp, Atomics or Bass Assassins

Cheers

Hodgey

2000 posts... Congratulations mate on a fantastic contribution. :yahoo::yahoo:

Glad you managed to get out. I know how frustrating it is not being able to fish with the water so accessible now... I think I drove Jewhunter mad with desperate phone calls. You may not have gotten into the fish you wanted but it looks like you had a beautiful day out judging by the awesome photos... :1fishing1:

Didn't realise you'd bought yourself a SOL rod too... boy they look great :1yikes:

Love the shots of the ray lies and the mullet school.

The Flatties will still be there waiting for you.

Cheers, Slinky

They're great photos of the rays and the baitfish Hodgey. :thumbup:

Buy yourself a smoker - it's a good investment! Then you'll never throw back another tailor!

So what's the go regarding the boat? When will you be back on the water, rather than walking around it?

Cheers

Peter

They're great photos of the rays and the baitfish Hodgey. :thumbup:

Buy yourself a smoker - it's a good investment! Then you'll never throw back another tailor!

So what's the go regarding the boat? When will you be back on the water, rather than walking around it?

Cheers

Peter

GDay Peter

I don't own a boat, so all my 'on-water' adventures occur out of Dene's tinnie. My frustration at not having my own tinnie has been mentioned casually (see every waking moment!) to OIC Home Command ... and I think she's weakening :biggrin2: Dene is back next Monday

Cheers

Ian

Good report Hodgey & not a bad little session throwing hardbodies to all the tailor.

Bet the paint on the gold bomber's not looking too good.Ive used them as well up

north even when there is no paint left on them & they still catch fish.Top lure

Steve