Botany Bay - Nothing

fisherman1994

Hi Guys,

Headed out today for my well deserved and much anticipated fish in Botany Bay. Hit the water at about quarter to six and everything went downhill from there. We put the boat in the water, only to realise that we had forgotten to put in the bungs so up came the boat and bungs were put in; in went the boat again. We headed out to Molineaux point in the hope of finding a few lives (I've never fished botany bay before and was going on advice from other raiders), and managed nothing whatsoever besides one lonesome trevally. Boats around us were catching dozens of trevally but the little buggers just didnt seem to want our baits.

Decided that Kurnell would be another possible option however at that moment the wind began to howl in the wrong direction and we couldnt fish anywhere near where we wanted to.

Tried different spots throughout the day including runway three and also around the heads but for 8 hours of solid fishing managed only 1 trevally and an 8cm flatty.

What am i doing wrong??????

Why did the fishing gods do this to me??? :1badmood::(

unlucky mate!

depends on bait freshness, line weight..... etc..... dont always go for the spots where all the other boats are. i fish the bay heaps without luck and catch fish no dramas. try the sand flats next time.

my experience is that usually 6-9am i get fish

and after 10am no matter how hard i try i don't get much

except flatheads

so i don't try after 10am anymore

esp on a kayak sore bum

im not a bait fisherman but the members who caught good amount of fish use fresh bait

im too lazy so i use gulp

except flatheads

esp on a kayak sore bum

im not a bait fisherman but the members who caught good amount of fish use fresh bait

Any time in the bay is good. Most depends on the change of tide. Ive often headed out early, and only caught fish after 10 so I would put that theory to rest. Run up tide, an hour before an after the best time generally.

Work the shallower water in the bay for bream and whiting, when the current is strong. Ofcourse fresh bait is best.

The runway and mol point do hold good numbers of trevally, try fishing light with a running ball sinker, and fish a heavy berley trail. Bring the fish to you. I found that over the years, we would berley, and then if no bite, move after half an hour. I have now learnt to wait it out a little longer, and let the berley do the trick. Often sitting in a spot for an hour without a touch, and then all of a sudden, the trevors move in, and plenty of action non stop for about half hour to an hour.

Hope this helps a little for your next adventure to the bay.

hey

thanks a heap

trevs are not too hard to catch

i have trouble geting bream in big numbers

there are a few around in shallows

but never say double digits?

well i never got so much

do you berley the shallows aswell?

i use gulps

hey

thanks a heap

trevs are not too hard to catch

i have trouble geting bream in big numbers

there are a few around in shallows

but never say double digits?

well i never got so much

do you berley the shallows aswell?

i use gulps

I personally dont berley in the shallows, cause I beleive it brings alot of by catch. (little reddies and the like) I want to know that when I sit back with the rod in the holder, that the rod will buckle with a keeper almost every time.

If you use the right baits, and fish the right tide, the fishing will be productive, or at the least, you increase your chances. Also target your species when fishing, IE the bream are in spawning etc and pushing into the river mouths etc. It helps.

I dont use SPs that often. Only for flathead when I drift, or landbase fishing.

Good luck.

mate dont be to upset...i was also out yesterday in the bay and the wind was howling. i generrally find that this puts the fish off.

we fished watts reff, molx point, 3rd runway and kurnell fior not much luck.

we then decided to get out of the wind and head to towra pt where we did a drift along the edge od weed and sand banks. this turned out to be the right decision as we then for the next 2 hours got ourselves a healthy number of whiting which were big and fat. bait used was prawns on long shank hook.

the bay can be inconsistent especially if you are new to fishing it and knowing what to do in particular weather conditions.

better luck next time. dont despair as it can be a great place to have a fish!

cheers

fisheroo

Hey Fisherman 1994.

Mate Burley, Burley and Burley.

Especially for brimbos and trevors.

Note bait should be chicken guts and do not forget chicken breast works a treat on bream.

If you don't have a bigger type boat and burley pot on the back, get a normal bucket, fill with fish bits, bread crumbs from woolies , sand, tuna oil(smelly and I don't use) mash and mix it all together. Get a big spoon and dish up over the side once every 5 minutes. If you need it to go deeper squash into a ball with your hands and do a depth charge thing.

Will PM a spot for you not to many people go to that should help, haven't Pm,d before so bear with me for a day or two.

When you burley, try to fish floaters and add a really small amount of lead if tidal movement is strong, your aim is mid water in the Bay when doing bait and burley. Caste bait up current, let slowly sink into your burley trail, feed line out whilst keeping a feel on you line and bingo. There are good fish out there and some damn big torpedo kings as well. But thats another story.

Try this first, get it right, post a success story with pictures on FR and I will then post the Trapper Toms how to catch kingfish in the Bay thing to you. Same based on the teachings of the Famous Paul Rumsey.

Good luck and go for it, but do pick your weather and be safe and May:-

Rod be with you.

Regards

Trapper Tom.

Thanks guys, we were actually trying for kingies originally but considering we couldn't get our hands on any livebait, also not knowing where the bait grounds were, we got to the point where we ended up fishing for whatever was biting... which still wasn't much.

Does anybody else know any spots around sydney that are producing at the moment? I know its a bad time of the year but im desperate to catch a fish.

We have a 6m Quintrex half cab so can take a fair hit from elements..

Thanks guys, we were actually trying for kingies originally but considering we couldn't get our hands on any livebait, also not knowing where the bait grounds were, we got to the point where we ended up fishing for whatever was biting... which still wasn't much.

Does anybody else know any spots around sydney that are producing at the moment? I know its a bad time of the year but im desperate to catch a fish.

We have a 6m Quintrex half cab so can take a fair hit from elements..

6m Quinie. Should head outside for some YFT or head to the FAD's for some dollies which from all reports are still being caught.

except flatheads

esp on a kayak sore bum

got my pb flattie of 76 cms at 1 pm :1fishing1: