Ray R

Hi Raiders, I went around the rocks this morning hoping for a reddie or two,

well they were there but small , 6 under size by a mill or two and all were

released, also got a small flattie and two more banjo sharks, so it was a

busy morning but no keepers.

I also intended on going for a groper today so at low tide around 7:00am,

I had a feel around a few of my fav pools right on the edge and found a few

red crabs, while running my hand under the lip of the pools I also found an

urchin and he was used for berley later on.

About 9:30am I gave the bottom bashing the flick and started looking for groper

I worked my way along the edge around areas I've caught them before, took

me an hour or so and 10 nice crab baits later to finally get my first serious take

down, I knew he was a biggin' as it takes a lot of pressure to bend the Snyder

8 wrap. I pulled out of this big fella must have just lipped him , anyway my last

crab goes down in the wash and I feel him smashing the crab with his powerful

jaws, 2 big hits then the pull at this stage I know that he is on his way home,

I strike it and I'm on for about 10 seconds, he fights against me with all his might

and is powerful and big enough to snap my 40lb mono like cotton, I didn't give

him an inch of line as I held the Alvey 650c as tight as.

So this guy won the battle today but now I know were they are payback is on,

I will up the ante on mono size, and hopefully be able to stop him next time we meet.

So that was my morning, beautiful sunrise and a meeting with an old sparring partner,

I haven't chased a big groper for years, was good to see they are still there...

Cheers....

post-3371-1244958691_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1244958731_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1244958768_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1244958803_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1244958828_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1244958853_thumb.jpg

Nice one Ray :biggrin2: Next time out maybe you should lash yourself to the rocks and just put a hook on the end of a tow rope... some of the Blues I've seen swimming around the ledges at places like Avoca and Terrigal in the past look like Volkswagens.

Great that you can get some good bait... can't wait to see a big bluey in a photo. Love your shots from this session too. :thumbup:

Cheers, Slinky

Hey Ray,

By the sound of it you should ditch the 8144 for a chunk of RSJ and a boat winch! Make sure the ratchet works...at leat better than my trailer winch! :1prop:

No kidding great pics and best of luck in your next encounter with the D6s.

I used to fish the ledge under Christianson park at Vaucluse in the 80s with a cut down FSU5162 and a 700E alvey, 50lb mono and get blown away time after time!

You could always jump in with a baseball bat at take hime on "mano e mano"

Cheers

:tease: Chris

This is what I'm after, caught this around the rocks at Avoca in the early 90's, assisted by Hutcho who went down to the lower ledge to get him, it was a Sunday arvo in winter and after a thousand tourist photo's he went back in and straight back into his hole..

Cheers..

post-3371-1244973872_thumb.jpg

This is what I'm after, caught this around the rocks at Avoca in the early 90's, assisted by Hutcho who went down to the lower ledge to get him, it was a Sunday arvo in winter and after a thousand tourist photo's he went back in and straight back into his hole..

Cheers..

post-3371-1244973872_thumb.jpg

Like the report ray avoca has a little place in my heart

i use to spin there a bit in the late 80s and 90s for kings

and tuna. The pics bring back memories, the conditions

look ideal

cheers

top read as per usual ray and the pics are poster worthy as per usual

i hav'nt chased blueys for years but your pis brings back memorys off unstopable blues off the frount off the joey

to old to walk that far anymore cherrs gary

Hey Ray,

I cant wait to get into one of those blueys myself, except, dont think ill be putting my hands anywhere near those rock pools seeing what damage those green eels can do to you. Might stick with a lower grade of crabs :biggrin2:

Justin :1fishing1:

Like the report ray avoca has a little place in my heart

i use to spin there a bit in the late 80s and 90s for kings

and tuna. The pics bring back memories, the conditions

look ideal

cheers

Great photo of that Blue Ray, love those fish, i alway let the big ones go and keep one medium as they taste a treat, thanks for that photo.

i know a spot at the central coast if you want to go one day(adjusted pete your welcome too :1prop: ), we can fish for black fish then swap over to the rocks at low tide, it will be an all day trip

Great post mate,

I remember the day you caught that bluey you were like a `rock star' with the Japanese tourists. Get it, `Rock star'.

By the way I want my hat back.

Lets hope we can get out this weekend.

Regards, Hutcho

At least you had your shirt on Ray! :074:

Great pics as usual mate. Top effort on the bait as well. Those crabs look prime. No wonder you found big blue with one of those. :biggrin2:

Some of those groper get massive. You could lock up on 80lb mono & they would still reef you or drag you in. Great fun! :1yikes:

Cheers,

Grant.

Ray, those photos are spectacular. It makes getting up early all worthwhile.

Those blue groper are pure powerhouses. I have seen my old rockfishing buddies spool up with 150lb braid to prevent bustoffs, but all that happens is that they get dragged across the rocks, sparks flying from their dragging cleats until one of his mates has to grab the fisho and hold on for dear life !

Them heavy duty rods are doubled over like spaghetti

I have seen them land groper to 13kg. One guy once decided to keep one and kept him in a rock pool at bare island. A diver saw it and a major confrontation erupted between the angler and diver. Tensions between the two groups often flare up as divers often jump into the water at the feet of anglers, then swim and cut heavy lines off underwater. Now you know why I gave up fishing for groper and blackfish years ago.

Anyway, I'm sure that big bluey is collecting your hooks as body piercings, but one day, he will collect one too many. Then you can have a word with him face to face, in front of the camera.....

Tony