Advice On Boat Capabilities

robust

G'day raiders,

Whilst i'm still learning the ropes with my boat i was hoping some of the more experienced fisho's with boats out there can advice on capabilities my boat can handle.

Boat = Quintrex 440 Coastrunner

Size = 4.55m

Motor = 40 hp yamaha 4 stroke

Fuel tank = 50 ltrs

I'm not looking to travel out into the open ocean but i'm hoping when the conditions are right like a nice day with minimal swell, is it possible to go just outside the heads?

Is the motor powerful enough?

Meaning is the boat okay for a trip just outside. Advice and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob

post-10643-1245056349_thumb.jpg

Mate if you're very carefull with the weather and sea conditions you go out in and got all the right safety gear etc you'll be fine.

I've been out around the 5 islands and out off the beach at Port Kembla in a 3.8m punt with a 15hp, a number of times and seen other boats similar out there. Just have to be extra cautious about weathe etc, and we are rarely more than 1 mile from land.

I see people out there in kayaks and canoes, you will see reports on here of peope out there in yaks etc aswell.

Would probably be a good idea to go out with someone expierenced a few times if you can.

Good luck.

:beersmile::beersmile::beersmile:

Yeh it could just make sure you drop 1 person off for heading out the heads;

Ive took my Quinnie 420 Estuary Angler & have taken it 4 km out once on not to bad day;

40hp is fine; i have a 40hp 2 stroke and it flys.

thanks for all the advice guys that's exactly the info i was looking for. won't be heading out any time soon until i gain more experience and exposure to the waters around here.

regards,

Rob

G'day Robust,

I have a very similar boat and venture outside (within 1-2km offshore) on calm days only and not too far away from the heads. Even when good weather is predicted, make your own assessment as you approach the heads. Make sure you have all your safety equipment and keep your radio on for sudden changes in weather conditions. I don't go out alone and always keep one eye out on the swell / weather. Have confidence in your boat by ensuring it's serviced regularly and you in turn will build in confidence. Try not to become too cocky either. Make sure you are familiar with dangerous locations such as bommies. If crossing a bar be even more careful as that's where a mishap is likely happen. No fish is worth placing yourself in danger.

Good luck and look forward to the reports.....in good time.

Cheers,

Cam