Seal In Middle Harbour?

greg123

hi i went out from roseville this morning with plans to chase some kings. We stopped at the spit bridge for about an hour looking for some squid with no success. The water was crystal clear but i think the current may have been a bit strong. Anyway just under the bridge i noticed a brown lump moving up and down on the surface heading towards the harbour casually.

At first i thought i was seeing things and my morning coffee had been spiked but my mate noticed the same thing. As it came closer we heard a sort of puff sound, like the type that dolphins make only a lot more quiet, however there was no fin and it was way to big to be a penguin. It was definitely swimming, not just floating rubbish. So my conclusion was a seal that ventured a bit far up because of the cold water and its clarity this morning. Is this possible?

i was fishing botany bay near the oil wharf and a seal swam winthin 30cm(no joke 30cm you could literally pat it but we didnt) of my boat. like you i thought i was seeing things i also thought it was rubbish or something. this thing was a mighty beast swimming casually on it back with its arms in the air happily blowing bubbles. it looked like it weighed a good 120kg+. now i thought i hit the jackpot the other day when in the same place a pod of about 20 dolphins passed by us but id say this tops it. i have a picture on my mates camera that i could probably get sent to me if anyone needs proof or just wants to have a look.

Yesterday between 11am - 2pm there was a seal just in front of the marina at the spit.

I was there fishing in the park on the Manly side of the bridge.

I could see the seal gorging on bait fish with seagulls swooping in for the sraps.

Definitely a seal or two at the spit.

Also we had 2 dolphins within 5m of our boat just off middle head around a month ago.

I chucked a few pillies at them and they came closer to us and then within 2sec they were gone and 20m away

Edited by tan the fisherman

We had very large seal with a bung eye attracted to my boat once in Jervis Bay.

at the time I was fishing with one other mate when this thing decided he'd hop over the gunnels and have a look at what was going on in the boat. we shat ourselves at first but he didnt seem aggressive at all. so we got a few pics and threw him a couple of slimeys into the water, after feeding him he let us pat him and everything. he hung around for a while too. We were lucky he was just curious because it was huge and easily around the 100KG mark.

Ive got some good close up pics here somewhere I'll get them up.

Yep I saw him on Sunday morning, on the way out (West of the spit) and then again in the same spot on the way in after lunch.

He looked distressed rolling over and over. The was definately something wrong with the poor little fella, I thought he may be hooked up on fishing line the way he was swimming. I slowed and threw a kingy frame and some yakkas toward him but no interest.

Hope he's alright.

Cheers

Dom

Years back I surfed a place called Long Point down in the Caitlains, about 3 hours past Dunedin in NZ. It's really not that much further and your at the bottom of NZ. It was a wild place...big waves, crazy reef/point break with really long thick bull kelp everywhere.

After a while a few seals swam in. I found it a bit of a novelty, but then a huge bull seal appeared too. I still didn't think much of it being from Sydney, it was basically swimming around in the line up.

Then one of the Kiwis that was also surfing got a bit closer, and I pointed it out. He put his feet up on his board straight away.

I didn't really get scared that day till I got home that night and read up on the area where I surfed...it's one of the worlds recognised Great White Shark areas like South Australia, Southern California etc.

I'll never forget that day. The bull seals head looked to be about 100kg...just what was sticking out of the water. It was HUGE. But I never got scared of it...

:074:

They come up when the water temp drops. I once saw a massive seal at sunrise at Bronte and I actually mistook it for a fat fisherman. Couldn't work out why he was lying down on the rocks. This was from a distance but still my brain didn't expect to see a seal so it morphed into a person.

me and my mate were heading out of the cooks river into botany early morning at the start of this year saw what appeared to be a log floating in the water, did a u-turn when we saw it move, ended up being a seal floating on the surface lapping up some rays of sunshine, have a few photo's will upload tomorrow.

yeah i saw the same seal last saturday at 6am under the spit bridge and again on the way back in at 3pm. at 3pm it was floating in the middle of the channel with one flipper sticking straight up. i came to the conclusion that it was getting some sun and had its flipper up so no one hit it. :1prop::074:

We saw a small seal about 600 metres south of the bridge on Wednesday morning. He was throwing a fish he had caught around and then retrieving it before repeating his trick!! Definately a healthy specimen and awesome to watch. We followed him at close range for a couple of hundred metres towards the bridge before deciding to go squidding as was our intention.

Got 4 squid in 2 & 1/2 hours - three of them in quick succession when we returned to out starting location. Went to a spot in middle harbour that has produced kings most times for us. Threw in some chopped pilchards for berley and hey presto up comes a lone king to snaffle them!! Threw him some more before offering him a nice unweighted squid head that he swam up to and just turned away. Set it in a holder at about 6m depth - I could just see it. Five minutes elapsed and the reel began to sing. Landed and released a fat 60 cm king. Unfortunately, the jackets then moved in and stripped every bait in a short time. Tried a couple of other spots without any action. The water was very cold - best I saw was 15 degrees over near Manly but most of the time it was just under 14 degrees and very clear. Little wonder the fishing is tough.

Kel

Yeah musty ...

Totally agree.

Was fishing with a mate out of a three metre boat... yeah pretty tight.

We were chucking plastics for flatties in the channel that cuts through the north end of Russel Is in morton bay qld.

I chuch out a lure at a little creek in the mangroves at between me and the creeek this friggin HUGe boil!!

Its a gigantic Dugong .... Snort and we're both wearing spray, was les than 3 M from our3M boar... we nearly fell overboard!