Lake Mac Does It Again

Steve Mc

Last week the family and I headed down to my parents place for a few days of Lake Macquarie fishing. Last year we went down the same week in the school holidays and had an awesome time on the flatties so expectations were high.

Day one and the weather wasn't overly kind. No rain but an icy cold wind made it very difficult to hold in one spot for any length of time but we managed to do a "slow drift" with the anchor scraping along the bottom.

Things started slowly (i.e. not a touch for the first hour) and a half but just as I was thinking it wouldn't be our day, my youngest hooks up and pulls in a nice table sized fish at 43cm. It sucked the 100mm Killer Tomato Squidgy Fish so far down when I opened its mouth to retrieve the lure it was nowhere to be seen.

Over the next 2 hours things continued to happen. In the end we managed 5 keepers from 43 to 50cm but managed to lose 3 very big fish. My :wife: managed to get the net under my biggest which looked about the 70cm mark (I am telling myself it was no bigger because my pb is 72cm) but it crocodile rolled out and the line snapped as it hit the side of the boat. It was taken on a 100mm gold squidgy fish.

Both my youngest and my :wife: managed to lose fish in the same class. One was just bad luck as the hook pulled below the boat and the other I take full responsibility for as the knot gave way after a big boat side surge. I should have backed her drag off because it was only 4lb line.

The second day it was just the :wife: and I and things were a bit slower but we did manage one at 58cm and one at 60cm.

All fish, both landed and lost, were taken on 100mm squidgy fish in either Killer Tomato, Gold or Drop Bear and all right near a big drop off that went from 1m to 5m.

post-2756-1247966200_thumb.jpg

post-2756-1247967123_thumb.jpg

post-2756-1247967438_thumb.jpg

post-2756-1247967230_thumb.jpg

post-2756-1247967492_thumb.jpg

Good work on the flathead SteveMc, there's always excitement for next time when everyone gets themselves a few fish to take home particularly flathead in a cold winter like this and that speaks volumes for the spring....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Great report Steve. A day on the water with the family is terrific...and having them get into a few as well is even better! Shame about the dropped fish, but they will be there for you next time; and bigger! :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

just a quick question what is the smaller fish the young bloke caught?

Tailor

Great couple of days there Steve and some tasty fillets for the family! Were the fish at the base of the drop-off in the deeper water?

Yeah Rob, all in the deeper water. Some were caught as far out as 20m from the actual drop.

Great couple of days fishing Steve - good to see your wife & kids get into them too! :1prop: Shame about the 'get offs' ..... hope the hooks hold next time!

Great meeting up with you on the water today - look forward to hitting the racks with you! :thumbup:

Cheerio

Roberta

good stuff mate, i live on lake macquarie and tend to get most of my flatties thru winter, were abouts were u fishing?

Down the southern end. Launched at Kingfisher Shores then basically worked the channel markers on either side as we headed out towards the main bay.

Nice flatties

can you tell me approx where you found the drop off as I am heading up tere is a couple of weeks

Cheers

There are a lot of good drop offs all through the lake. Just look for the black cardinal markers.

Great couple of days fishing Steve - good to see your wife & kids get into them too! :1prop: Shame about the 'get offs' ..... hope the hooks hold next time!

Great meeting up with you on the water today - look forward to hitting the racks with you! :thumbup:

Cheerio

Roberta

Thanks Roberta, next time I am heading out I will give you a call.