Blue Fin Off Wollongong Still.

Bigfella

Fished last Friday crappy conditions. Trolled from 70 fathoms and in two fifty ran in to four of these puppies in one strike. Kept this for the table the other still swimming. Great to see southern blue's in these latitudes once more. Although I don't reckon they go as hard as a good yellow fin.

Regards Bob.post-5851-1248666581_thumb.jpg

Nice fish there brother,

It shows you put in the time and they will come.

I've caught yellow fin but not blue fin yet.

Is blue fin better eating than yellow fin, and where do you think albacore rates with these 2.

I have been trying to plan a trip to New Zealand to catch one of those 300kg blue fin which follow the hokie

factory boats. I'm just waiting for the drug companies to invent a pill which will make me 20 again.

Tight Lines

The Human Winch.

Gamerod,

it's Sam mate (friend of Y's from Charing Cross).

I am not sure and i have not found out yet my-self, I have honestly heard from fisho's i know quite well that bluefin is better eating then yellowfin and that yellowfin is better eating then bluefin, so as i said i am not sure as i have not eaten bluefin yet so i can not comment.

one thing (and this is my opinion) and other raider's may agree with me or not on this, these day's i like Albacore more then yellowfin, but having said that a while ago i found out another way to clean them(yellowfin, bluefin, albacore) which from what i have been told when done (which it need's to be done pretty much straight away) i am not quite sure but it some-how very much improve's either the taste or the eating quality of it heap's better as oppose to leaving it and cleaning it later on, I will get to find out and be taught how to do it and how it is done (hopefully) this weekend.

Edited by Sam-8862

Nice fish mate,what di he go on the scale ? 50 ?

Thanx mate didn't weigh him but I'd say 55 to 60 they are very round and solid. I'm 100 and 6ft 2tall so I make fish look a tad smaller in photo's.

Regard Bob.

Nice fish there brother,

It shows you put in the time and they will come.

I've caught yellow fin but not blue fin yet.

Is blue fin better eating than yellow fin, and where do you think albacore rates with these 2.

I have been trying to plan a trip to New Zealand to catch one of those 300kg blue fin which follow the hokie

factory boats. I'm just waiting for the drug companies to invent a pill which will make me 20 again.

Tight Lines

The Human Winch.

Thanx Winch, I reckon bluefiin has it all over yellow fin and albacore when shashimi. I guess thats why they farm them and the and their highly sought after by the Japanese.

Regards Bob.

Gamerod,

it's Sam mate (friend of Y's from Charing Cross).

I am not sure and i have not found out yet my-self, I have honestly heard from fisho's i know quite well that bluefin is better eating then yellowfin and that yellowfin is better eating then bluefin, so as i said i am not sure as i have not eaten bluefin yet so i can not comment.

one thing (and this is my opinion) and other raider's may agree with me or not on this, these day's i like Albacore more then yellowfin, but having said that a while ago i found out another way to clean them(yellowfin, bluefin, albacore) which from what i have been told when done (which it need's to be done pretty much straight away) i am not quite sure but it some-how very much improve's either the taste or the eating quality of it heap's better as oppose to leaving it and cleaning it later on, I will get to find out and be taught how to do it and how it is done (hopefully) this weekend.

Mate cut a gill plate off rip out the guts fill it with ice, core out the top of the brain and run a flexible wire down the center of the backbone to stop the fish from cooking itself from the inside with heated nerve endings after the fight (breaks of all the nerve ending's). A bit like trying to stop the lactic acid building up. The main thing is to cool the fish and set the meat before cutting. That's how I've learn't to look after premo table tuna anyway.

Regards Bob

g'day sam, blue fin and yellow are quite similar in taste,they also look similar but generally yellow fin is a darker red in colour and blue fin a little less due to higher fat and oil content.albacore(chicken of the sea) has a higher body core temprature to the last two tuna and deteriorates three times faster than normal fish and if not handled well thru the process after caputure the fish creates a chemical that when you eat the fish it leaves a metalic taste in your mouth and can also make you unwell for 24 hours(histamine).the best way to handle tuna is to brain spike them straight awaythen bleed them,all fish shold be store in an ice slurry of salt water and ice.. TIGHT LINES

:yahoo: Good Job Bigfella!!!! I'm just bummed I couldn't be out there with you as the 26th was my birthday and I'll tell ya a nice Blufer or two would have made my day....Hell,,,, it would have made a super start to a new year!!! Also...ATTN RAIDERS....Bunghead is correct on the handling of fresh tuna ....CHEERS.....Tom the Yank