Thankyou All Beforehand

jewytim

Tim - I put all your questions into one post for you.  I expect it will be easier to keep track of.  So the questions are

where to get a windscreen ?

What ply to use ??

What paint to use ??

What glue to use ??

What sealant to use ??

That about it ??

39235[/snapback]

thanks pedro

GDay mate,

Ill try and answer some for you.

Marine grade ply for sure. I think 19 mm is the norm.

Ive heard that a product called Norseal is good as a sealant. Never used it but it has a good rep.

Dont forget to seal the cut edges as well.

There is two 'Bias' stores on the coast. One at West Gosford opposite Repco and one at Tuggerah on Wyong road. They will have the goods on the sealant, paint and glue.

Believe it or not im trying to convince my In laws neighbor to sell me his old Quinnie as a project boat. You can have the screen off that if I get it cause im going to chuck it out anyway.

Good luck with it. post some pics so we can have a look. :thumbup:

Tim,

I cannot help you with the screen but you appear to have that covered.

In relation to ply, it comes in a number of grades. Marine ply is very expensive, but there is a cheaper grade that is rated waterproof. If you were to seal that properly, I believe that it would do the job for you.

You can obtain a product known as "Bote Cote" that you can use on the ply to proof it and it is then possible to paint over it. If you cannot obtain Bote Cote from a boat supply outlet, let me know and I will ask my builder where he bought it for our house.

I used it on the framed ply fascia of our new house in exactly that fashion. An oil base paint over Bote Cote would probably be the better option

Cam

Tim,

I just had another thought. Before you go buying paint, I have some low sheen oil based paving paint left over from the new house. You might care to give that a try, but you may need to put some sand or other additive in it to make it less slippery. The colour is not too bad either; a light grey.

Cam

Im doing the same 2 my boat. You can get marine ply from plywood express at west gosford. So are you going to put a live well or anything. Theres a boat modification place at gosford whos doing my floors and putting two 30 litre wells in. If u know anyone whos works on building sites u can get marine ply from here. WHen they have finished we did have some but gave it to a mate who was doing the same. Anyway hope it works out well cheers tyrone

Jewytim,

just recently fishing decking out my boat-- It was a 2 seater tiny -- i put casting deck in front and back-- use 18mm marine ply-- (make sure all cuts are seiled) on my last boat i just used plain 16mm ply and coated it with reson-- but alot easier as people have said to do it right the first time with marine grade! form ply is the next best and will probley do the trick, sheets are around 100 bucks though for a 3m by 1.2, As for any joints or fixing timber to ally use sikaflex marine-- stronge stuff and save scewing etc , also costs though at about 15-20bucks a tube.. but wont need much.

hope this has helped

• 2 weeks later...