Blackfish

fishythings

After reading how to catch blackfish by Roberta which is worth reading, I feel interested to try it. I have just bought the gears and made my own floats.

I live in Kingsford so I will try it in Maroubra or Coogee.

Any suggestion of the spots or anyone to come along with would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy

Well done on making your own floats! Now all we need to do is 'blood' them! :)

Never having fished south of the bridge for blackies ..... I'd be heading to a jetty or safe ledge in the harbour somewhere - it would be better not 'starting off' on the ocean rocks, as it can be dangerous, until you know what you are doing. Also you should always fish with a buddy anyway ... much more fun, specially if they have blackfished before! You can pick their brain!

Don't forget to add your suburb to your 'profile' so others can see where you live for other fishing trips - more likely to attract a fishing buddy if they easily see what area you live in!

Anywhere near the airport would be good, I reckon!

Good luck - hope you get into some soon!!

Roberta

Hi Andy

Well done on making your own floats! Now all we need to do is 'blood' them! :)

Never having fished south of the bridge for blackies ..... I'd be heading to a jetty or safe ledge in the harbour somewhere - it would be better not 'starting off' on the ocean rocks, as it can be dangerous, until you know what you are doing. Also you should always fish with a buddy anyway ... much more fun, specially if they have blackfished before! You can pick their brain!

Don't forget to add your suburb to your 'profile' so others can see where you live for other fishing trips - more likely to attract a fishing buddy if they easily see what area you live in!

Anywhere near the airport would be good, I reckon!

Good luck - hope you get into some soon!!

Roberta

Thanks for your most valuable advice Roberta.

Btw, do you use white bread as well for bait to catch blackie besides the usual weeds? Which one is better? As the weeds are not always available anytime we want to fish and on the other hand we can catch bream, drummer and trevally as side catch while using bread.

Cheers,

Andy

After reading how to catch blackfish by Roberta which is worth reading, I feel interested to try it. I have just bought the gears and made my own floats.

I live in Kingsford so I will try it in Maroubra or Coogee.

Any suggestion of the spots or anyone to come along with would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy

fishing the stake at nth maroubra used to be very good many yrs ago for me and if they are not biting or swell is issue try a little nth into lurline bay..

the pool and other places nearby used to hold cabbage most times as well..

havnt fished there for a loooong time but we always got good bags of blackies and drummer..

a heavy spin stick for first light nearby with gar or metals will be a wise thing, :1naughty: wont say any more as i will get shot :ph34r:

good luck... there is plenty of good spots along the eastern suburbs just choose wisely and be safe.....

cheers...steve....

fishing the stake at nth maroubra used to be very good many yrs ago for me and if they are not biting or swell is issue try a little nth into lurline bay..

the pool and other places nearby used to hold cabbage most times as well..

havnt fished there for a loooong time but we always got good bags of blackies and drummer..

a heavy spin stick for first light nearby with gar or metals will be a wise thing, :1naughty: wont say any more as i will get shot :ph34r:

good luck... there is plenty of good spots along the eastern suburbs just choose wisely and be safe.....

cheers...steve....

Good morning Roosterman.

Thanks for your precious advice, but the Stake is a bit scary spot to me with its unexpected swells.

Cheers,

Andy

G'day flattie,

When do you intend to head out? I wouldnt mind joining you. I'm also a novice at Blackfishing though.

Hi Tevoro,

Thanks for your response and intention to accompany me.

I am going out tomorrow morning 6.30 from my address in Kingsford.

It takes 10 minutes to get there.

I’ll PM you my contact details.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy

Good luck with you & Tevoro tomorrow! Take care!

I don't use bread - only weed & cabbage (or cunje after rough weather.) Bread will bring around some bream & drummer (get ready to HANG ON if you catch a drummer!) It also brings on other rubbish fish!

Weed & cabbage pretty well specifies what species you are after, ie blackies or drummer (with the occasional bream & flattie jumping on just to keep you on your toes!!!)

Cheers

Roberta

there is higher ledges near the stake but always wise to give it a miss if not confident..

around lurline bay is very safe and theres lots of spots along the eastern suburbs..

chose wisely and be safe..

good luck..

cheers...steve...

My father blooded me on the rocks at maroubra both North and South, Malabar and the like of jolong a lot of close calls and i have the scars to prove it can be dicey at the Stake, it's a nasty rock with a bad backwash, joinn Sydney Eastern Suburbs anglers they can show you the ropes! If your not confident in your rock hopping abilities or lack the safety gear give it a miss.

If you want some good spots try the container wall the bridge at Bare Island drifting bait down the chanel in a big southerly swell caught loads off there! The beach at Maroubra at night or early morning will hold fish and is a bit safer try the north end in a low swell.

Otherwise try places like Green Point at watsons bay or Rose Bay around the Hermitage. Safe places that hold some big ocean run fish.

My father blooded me on the rocks at maroubra both North and South, Malabar and the like of jolong a lot of close calls and i have the scars to prove it can be dicey at the Stake, it's a nasty rock with a bad backwash, joinn Sydney Eastern Suburbs anglers they can show you the ropes! If your not confident in your rock hopping abilities or lack the safety gear give it a miss.

If you want some good spots try the container wall the bridge at Bare Island drifting bait down the chanel in a big southerly swell caught loads off there! The beach at Maroubra at night or early morning will hold fish and is a bit safer try the north end in a low swell.

Otherwise try places like Green Point at watsons bay or Rose Bay around the Hermitage. Safe places that hold some big ocean run fish.

Hi Luderick-angler,

Thanks a lot for your precious advice.

Regards,

Andy

Hi all,

I did end up trying for Blackies yesterday out at Botany, but didnt manage to witness a single down (ah well, thats fishing for you)

Maybe I was fishing in the wrong spots? I still need to learn how to identify which ones are luderick areas.

Having said that though, it was still an enjoyable experience out in the sun. Thanks for all the tips, fellow raiders.

Shame you didn't get any 'downs' Andy - don't forget to try different depths, in close & further out, as well as trying both cabbage & weed!

The closer in you are, normally, you need the float to be a bit 'higher'. The further out you go - you can go deeper! If your float lies on its side, you know you are on the bottom & need to adjust the float to be shallower!

They can be finicky critters!!

Don't give up on them tho - they are there!!!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Shame you didn't get any 'downs' Andy - don't forget to try different depths, in close & further out, as well as trying both cabbage & weed!

The closer in you are, normally, you need the float to be a bit 'higher'. The further out you go - you can go deeper! If your float lies on its side, you know you are on the bottom & need to adjust the float to be shallower!

They can be finicky critters!!

Don't give up on them tho - they are there!!!

Roberta

Thanks Roberta for your precious advices.

This morning I went to the same spot but it seemed the water was too clear as I could see the bottom and the swells were not big enough. I casted several time into the eddies but I got no response so I gave up.

As I checked the seabreeze website that the barometer/air pressure graphic was flat though high enough.

So many variable conditions that influence fishing. Perhaps this is the way how the nature keeps the fish from extinction.

Anyway I will never give up as this is the only activity I love.

Andy

• 3 months later...

I have never fish for blackfish as I use heavier gear for drummer 10kg and groper 20-40kg , but where I fish people catch a lot of blackfish, try north Garie at royal national park, with a bit of swell 1-1.5m north east 1m south and run in tide, you have to get one :1fishing1: