Drummer Oh Drummer

fishythings

Trying to catch blackfish at South Coogee using bread this morning ended up with getting busted off by 3 big drummers.

First one broke my hook.

Second one broke my leader.

Third one I might have torn the drummer’s lip as I locked up the reel drag

I could feel how tough these fish were as when they were pulling the line and bending my rod I was unable to wind my reel at all.

All has made my spouse excited and asking when we would come back with the heavier gear.

I said I will return!!!

Andy

hahaha It is fun, isn't Andy - when all you can do is 'hang on' whilst trying to regain composure so that you can then have a go at actually reeling in (or trying to) the fish, as against having the rod ripped from your hands or you being totally pulled in!!!

Don't they go??? Yep - upgrade your hooks, line & outfit & you should have success!! :)

Make sure you take the camera with you!

Roberta

Man these are not called pig for nothing.

My pig gear consists of 7 wrap 12 ft rod loaded with 25 lb line. No swivell no leader straight to Mustard 542 double strength hooks and just enough lead to cast.

Have fun it is either over in seconds or you have half a chance.

Cheers

King pig

well done for getting amongst them Andy...

my cuz used to spew when i mixed bread into the burly as when fishing light for blackies and the pigs turn up its usually a one way affair...

i usually have a pig stick for these situations with min 20lb - 30lb mono on alvey 650.. xx - xxx mustad hooks on an appropriate rod...

this is still not enough in some situations as they dart back into caves/kelp etc...

awesome fun but have to watch footing as my mate got dragged in as he was battling a big bruiser back in the early 90's..

its very addictive fishing for pigs..

cheers...steve....

well done for getting amongst them Andy...

my cuz used to spew when i mixed bread into the burly as when fishing light for blackies and the pigs turn up its usually a one way affair...

i usually have a pig stick for these situations with min 20lb - 30lb mono on alvey 650.. xx - xxx mustad hooks on an appropriate rod...

this is still not enough in some situations as they dart back into caves/kelp etc...

awesome fun but have to watch footing as my mate got dragged in as he was battling a big bruiser back in the early 90's..

its very addictive fishing for pigs..

cheers...steve....

Thanks for the comment.

Ya, it was pretty awesome fun and tomorrow morning I will try again to beat them.

Wish me luck.

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks for the comment.

Ya, it was pretty awesome fun and tomorrow morning I will try again to beat them.

Wish me luck.

Cheers,

Andy

l only use 20lb line capable to land 3kg drummer. Make sure it is nice flourocarbon leader, it give me more confident to fighting with them. l dont like to use those red mustard hooks, l reckon it pretty shit ,easy to be broken by big drummer as thier teeth is very sharp.

l suggest u dont lock the drag, it is important becasue if it lock, all the force transfer to ur leader line and hooks. l set the drag only 2-3kg and they only take around 2-4m line in the first run. l have tried lock the drag last time when fight with big drummer, they busted my line less than one second on my 24lb leader.

Gd luck..

cheers

Got to the same spot at 6.30 this morning but the sea was flat.

Anyway I couldn’t stand trying to beat the drummer with my heaviest gear I own and using better hooks.

This time I didn’t forget to bring my camera as suggested by Roberta.

But after about an hour not a single bite or even a nibble I got, so at 7.36am I packed up and headed home with NIL. No chance to revenge