Winter Bassin'

G'day all.

With everything conspiring against me to get offshore fishing today in perfect conditions I made the decision to have a crack at a few of the fat winter bass we get up at the dam at this time of year.

I arrived at sparrows fart, 10.30 am, :074: to be greeted with beautiful glassed out conditions.

As per usual I had to fight the crowds for a parking spot. :1prop:

The fish were boofing in the lily pads but none out in the open. With the cold water I decided to fish deep & slow. I tried rolling jackalls & fishing deep spin blades for no hits. There was a heap of bait around & a 3" bass minnow mimicked them perfectly. :biggrin2:

I simply let the placcy sink to the bottom & VERY slowly hopped & bounced it with some long pauses in between. Even slower than breaming!

This method worked well & I ended up with 5 bass with 2 dropped that slurped the b/m off the bottom during the pauses. I pulled tight into both of them but they spat the hook 1/2 way back to the boat.

No real big bass today. The highlight was nailing two 36cm fat fish in two casts. The other 3 were between 28 & 32 cms.

The conditions were perfect but right on cue after telling Stewy on the phone how nice it was the wind picked up, the clouds rolled in & the fish switched off.

Still a very enjoyable day on the water.

Cheers,

Grant.

Very very nice ,Grant :thumbup: I have to get up there at some stage and show you how to catch bass :tease:

Cheers Stewy

Thanks mate.

You've been threatening me with that for the last 2.5yrs!! :1yikes:

I can't wait mate. You would love it!! :yahoo:

Cheers,

Grant.

Nice Bass session Grant :thumbup: and that's a good little Bass Boat too, where was the electric Grant or did you just let the boat go along and glide in occasionally did you mate?

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

The leccy is on the back Byron. It's transon mount & in that piccy it's tilted right up for launching.

It's a top little dam & river boat. Even better now I've fitted a sounder, good battery & comfy seats to her! :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

Well done Grant - another magic day on the Dam! Nice pics.

Dam it!!! Wish I was there! :1prop:

Can't wait for the season to start again to target them here (also a bit warmer!)

Love your early starts! :074::074:

Cheerio

Roberta

What a great report Grant! :thumbup:

I arrived at sparrows fart, 10.30 am, to be greeted with beautiful glassed out conditions.

As per usual I had to fight the crowds for a parking spot.

:Funny-Post: That cracked me up! And I really needed a good laugh at the moment!

I love the pictures of the fish in the water.

post-4381-1249430555_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1249430562_thumb.jpg

Some top bass caught in a great day out for you.

Cheers

Peter

Yes nice looking fish and as for the spot, I would say that you would have to go a very very long way to find a more pretty and picturesque dam than Clarrie Hall. I would recommend to any-one traveling through that area with a electric, canoe or kayak set up to stop and spend some time. I even seen some bloke fishing it out of some sort of seated tyre tube thing with flippers once!