Tenderising Fish

hottyscotty

I see a lot of guys keeping catches of Black Drummer over 40cm. How to they overcome the tough flesh before cooking? I only asked because another fisho said to leave it out so the meat softens but didn't say how

I always keep the 30-40cm because its just perfect, but over 40, the flesh is very tough after cooking. Worse than a chewy steak.

:beersmile: G'day Scotty,

I've never tried this with fish fillets but have with calarmari, chicken, beef etc and it works a treat.

Get two kiwi fruit, peel them and chop them up in bowl placing your meat in there as well. Fill it up with some water, enough that the meat is submerged in there. Leave it for at least half an hour or longer if desired and mate i'll tell ya once cooked the meat will melt in your mouth.

Cheers

Robert

Never cooked a drummer, but with fish you have to keep the pan hot or the fish will dry out. A good flour coating will create a skin aswel to trap moisturel.

When you go to a chinese take out joint and you have the stir fry beef and black bean, the beef has been soaked for a couple of hours in corn starch and cold water. That is how a chinese restaurant serves up the most tender beef that in reality is probobally from one of the cheapest cuts out here.

I have no idea if corn starch will work with fish.

Hi HottyScotty

I reckon that any fish (as meat) needs to 'rest' before cooking.

I catch my fish, clean it, fillet & skin it & store it in the fridge till 24hrs later, & only then do I cook it!

It allows the flesh to 'rest' & usually doesn't 'curl up' when cooking

Roberta

:beersmile: G'day Scotty,

I've never tried this with fish fillets but have with calarmari, chicken, beef etc and it works a treat.

Get two kiwi fruit, peel them and chop them up in bowl placing your meat in there as well. Fill it up with some water, enough that the meat is submerged in there. Leave it for at least half an hour or longer if desired and mate i'll tell ya once cooked the meat will melt in your mouth.

Cheers

Robert

I've read that pureed kiwifruit is good for tenderising squid too, but yet to try it myself.

Aparently its the same chemical that is in milk that does the trick.

Kiwi fruit has more of it.

Hi HottyScotty

I reckon that any fish (as meat) needs to 'rest' before cooking.

I catch my fish, clean it, fillet & skin it & store it in the fridge till 24hrs later, & only then do I cook it!

It allows the flesh to 'rest' & usually doesn't 'curl up' when cooking

Roberta

I usually eat the fish I catch that day...a couple weeks ago my :wife: had already prepared dinner so I filleted and skinned the lizard and put it in a snap lock bag to cook the next day.

I've gotta say it was the nicest flattie fillets I've had in a while. Moist and flaky texture like Atlantic Salmon. I did brain spike the fish as soon as I caught it (something I don't usually do but will do from now on)

Maybe Roberta is right leaving fish for 24hrs... it may work wonders for the eating quality.

Mick

besides bleeding and gutting straight away, what else makes a black drummer have tough flesh?

the question wasn't just any fish in general. but if it was in general, there are some fish that have tougher flesh than others. just like different cuts of meat are tougher than other cuts.