More Salmon At Avoca

Ray R

Hi Raiders, another beautiful arvo up here today, couldn't resist the conditions so I went down to Avoca for more acrobatic salmon. I rigged up my little Berkley Pro Tactic 7' with my Sol 3000, some 20lb fluro leader and smallish running sinker to a 5/0 hook, stuck on a pilly tail and hoiked it out.

Well it didn't take long before the little rod buckled over and I was onto a leaping salmon, this beast peeled quit a few meters of line before I started to win a bit back on him, up and down the beach it went so I went with it, this was epic fun with the tricky small shore break making it a bit difficult.

After a 5 or so minute battle the beast was coming up the beach, the small outfit had done its job and Iwas ready for a breather.

This was repeated another 3 times with a couple lost in the shories, I took a few one handed pics trying to capture the way the rod was handling the fish runs.

So it was another beaut arvo, met a chap named Ian from Castle Hill, he trekked up to Avoca after seeing mine and Petes posts, we chatted and fished but I was unable to get him latched on to a salmon.

Took some shots of the lateral gutter which is quite close to the shore so you don't have to cast out very far.

Enjoy Raiders, and hi to Ian if you read this post...

The gutter

post-3371-1250498165_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1250498340_thumb.jpg

Big fat salmon

post-3371-1250498309_thumb.jpg

One handed action

post-3371-1250498398_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1250498431_thumb.jpg

The rig

post-3371-1250498378_thumb.jpg

geez you take some great pics Ray. takes us all right to the beach with you.

nice salmon too. do you berley?

Dave

G'day Dave, no I don't berley, maybe they are just attracted to the smell of my feet ..

:Funny-Post: It's probably true.

Well done on the fish mate. Next time I head down I'm going to take a light stick for some extra fun.

I had a missed call from ya. I'm spewin now that I've read this post.

Congrats on the fish with the light gear.

Cheers

Another brilliant report Ray! :thumbup: Those "one handed" photos are great.

Well done on the fish mate. Next time I head down I'm going to take a light stick for some extra fun.

I had a missed call from ya. I'm spewin now that I've read this post.

Congrats on the fish with the light gear.

Shame you missed the session Peter. However, you and Ray have proved enough times lately that you both can catch big salmon with rods. I think it is about time you gave the salmon a fighting chance and just use hand-lines from now on. :074:

Cheers

Peter

G'Day Ray

Great photos, I always enjoy the read. What I will say is I would love to live your life, unfortunately I still have to keep the wheels of industry turning, mind you I am only a lotto win away.

I'm heading up to Port Stephens this weekend and won't be able to help myself, I'm sure I'll be on Stockton chasing a couple of Sambos

Not sure if you can help me, I've seen your pics and Avoca looks alot like Newport, Bulgola, Avalon, Whale and Palm in particular the more northern of the beaches.

Do you know if these beaches produce salmon?

Another great session and report Ray, nice work!

Sounds like awesome fun on the light rig, makes me want to try with my flick stick, 2-4kg rod 2500 series reel and 6lb braid :P. Reckon i'm in with a chance?

Just to clarify, would that gutter your fishing in be the area in between the shore break and the next row of waves?post-6015-1250585804_thumb.jpg

I've tried the beach once or twice with soft plastics and 1/8th jigheads hoping for some flatties, tailor or salmon but haven't had any success yet. Spotting gutters and casting out to them is the main challenge at the moment. I can only manage a cast of about 20-30m with my 7' rod and can only spot rips so far, can't distinguish gutters properly.

Any tips?

Another great session and report Ray, nice work!

Sounds like awesome fun on the light rig, makes me want to try with my flick stick, 2-4kg rod 2500 series reel and 6lb braid :P. Reckon i'm in with a chance?

Just to clarify, would that gutter your fishing in be the area in between the shore break and the next row of waves?post-6015-1250585804_thumb.jpg

I've tried the beach once or twice with soft plastics and 1/8th jigheads hoping for some flatties, tailor or salmon but haven't had any success yet. Spotting gutters and casting out to them is the main challenge at the moment. I can only manage a cast of about 20-30m with my 7' rod and can only spot rips so far, can't distinguish gutters properly.

Any tips?

G'day mate, what you have circled is pretty much spot on , these salmon are not far out and that gutter is deep. As for your light gear I reckon you would have a good chance providing you play him right.

So with the close in gutter you don't have to cast far out, and it is a rip that forms a gutter, the outward flow of the water drags sand with it therefore causing a deep channel and or gutter, our gutter at Avoca is a lateral one meaning it runs along the beach..

Hope this helps buddy.

Hey Ray,

Thinking of heading up your way early Sunday morning (from say 5am until 9am) for a Sambo session

Am going to give Peter a call tomorrow to chat, would be good if both you and Pete can come along.

PM me if you are interested I'll send you my number

Chat soon

Anthony