Avoca Beach Success!

Brooker435

:1fishing1: Hey Raiders,

Just thought I would share my good news with you all,

Decided to head up to Avoca Beach this Afternoon with the Brother & Sister-In Law & do a little sight seeing and have a fish to finish off the day.

We arrived there around 3pm to what was a absolute stunner of a day, we went to the rocks firstly to have a few photos and see what's happening up there, not a lot although one fisho hooked a port Jackson shark which would have easily gone 80cm but due to the size of the fish or shark I should say as opposed to his outfit he busted off very quickly but none the less we got a good look at the shark anyway.

Now for the fun part after taking photos and looking around we proceeded to the beach at 4pm as the tide started coming in & quickly set up the rod and away we went.....

Not much happening at the beginning although lost my bait a few times to smaller fish I think, it then got to sunset around 5:30 and the in laws started complaining that its getting cold so we agreed ill give it till 6 and if I get nothing we will head home and that is when it all happened!!!! felt a little touch on the rod & was careful to maintain tension but thought that it was just current then suddenly the Penn 7000 started screaming woohoo fish finally :thumbup: started bringing him in and then he started jumping around which was cool but I was careful not to lose him so I gave him a little bit of line by easing off the drag until a big wave came in and I brought him in with it he was measured but not weighed but none the less he went 62cms I was stocked so in the bucket he goes...

My brother and sister-in law were stocked and not complaining about the cold anymore so I thought why not give it another crack and see how I go I lost my first pilly and promptly re-baited and I was on again except this one did not jump but was peeling line like there was no tomorrow but I eventually got him in also.

he went 67cm's so i thought that's enough for me well and truly dark now so I headed home.

I weighed them at home together in a bucket and they went 7.2kg together including the bucket so probably 3 to 3.5kg mark a piece..... Below I have attached a few pics and one of them is my brother-in law entertaining us..... Enjoy...... Ill be back for more as catching salmon was a absolute blast as they really make you work I guess the only thing to do now is work out how to cook them any good recipes guys?

Also would like to personally thank Ray R & Mercer007 for your advice and tips and look forward to fishing with you guys again....

Regards,

Nathan

post-9366-1250947799_thumb.jpg

post-9366-1250947848_thumb.jpg

post-9366-1250947898_thumb.jpg

post-9366-1250947943_thumb.jpg

G'day Nathen, mate 2 cracker salmon , glad to see you got a couple and to be of some help in getting you a fish..

Ray,

Could not have done it without your help!!! Cheers & what fun fish to catch even with the beach rod.

Ill have to try them out on light tackle one day once im more experienced that would be a blast i think...

Regards,

Nathan

Well done Nathan - congrats on your first 2 salmon!! Watch out .... it can become a bit addictive!!!

The first salmon I ever caught was up here in Fortser at One Mile Beach ..... I was very new to beach fishing & didn't have the drag set tight enough & the line screamed off too fast & turned into a birds nest. I ran along the beach following the fish, trying to untangle the knot ..... the salmon won ...... taking with it about half of my line! :( I'll never forget the fantastic BUZZ of that first hit & run ....... it is what probably got me totally hooked into fishing, 10 years ago!

That Webber would be perfect to smoke your fish in, too. Specially the smaller ones. The kiwis smoke their Kawhai (same as Aussie Salmon) and it is beautiful! If filleting them for eating fresh, make sure you take the whole of the blood line out tho before eating - you need to skin them first & it is totally along the skin side.

Cheerio & tight lines

Roberta

Cracking report and Sambo's mate

Avoca is really firing ATM and its good to see you are getting amongst it

Those who take the time and travel are usually paid with top rewards this time of year

Good on Ray and Peter for giving out great advice on their local spot...

Shows me thwere are plenty of people who are willing to share their local knowledge.

I might see you up there one fine day- I will be fishing there for the next few weeks until the Parra starts firing with Flatties again

Cheers

Cracking report and Sambo's mate

Avoca is really firing ATM and its good to see you are getting amongst it

Those who take the time and travel are usually paid with top rewards this time of year

Good on Ray and Peter for giving out great advice on their local spot...

Shows me thwere are plenty of people who are willing to share their local knowledge.

I might see you up there one fine day- I will be fishing there for the next few weeks until the Parra starts firing with Flatties again

Cheers

Cheers.

Im hoping to get up there again on the weekend either day late afternoon.

hope to see you there,

Regards,

Nathan

Congrats on your first Salmon, beginner. May there be plenty more that you can share with us in future reports too. :thumbup:

Cheers, Slinky

Mate... I hope so and will keep on trying.

I guess the big positive of this is that I have now learn't beach fishing thanks to Ray R & Mercer 007

and I have the full support from the Mrs to fish more often...

I will be sure to keep posting as i catch.

Regards,

Nathan

Hi Guys,

Just to add to Nathans feed, i was at MacMasters Beach last sunday too and also hit into the salmons. They werent biting to till the later of the run out tide but managed 6 salmon (1 for me and 5 for my mate) Had a blast catching such beasts. They all measured 65 cms + and put a nice fight.

Heard lots of reviews about how bad tasting these fish are. Surprisingly after plating it up myself, it tasted like any ordinary fish.

Nathan,

Well done mate. You see persistance pays off.

I really happy that you ended a nice day with a great catch. Go the mighty sambo's.

Might see you out and about at Avoca some time.

Cheers

Thanks Peter.

I let you know when i head up next they are awesome to catch and not bad eating too...

Hi Guys,

Just to add to Nathans feed, i was at MacMasters Beach last sunday too and also hit into the salmons. They werent biting to till the later of the run out tide but managed 6 salmon (1 for me and 5 for my mate) Had a blast catching such beasts. They all measured 65 cms + and put a nice fight.

Heard lots of reviews about how bad tasting these fish are. Surprisingly after plating it up myself, it tasted like any ordinary fish.

Yeah I totally agree, as long as you cut out the blood line...

cant wait to have another bash!!!! :1fishing1:

Regards,

Nathan

Looks like a great catch, i am hoping to start some beach fishing in the next month or so and will be the first time so what kind of rig/set up did you use?

I'm just trying to get some info together in my head!!

Cheers

John

Looks like a great catch, i am hoping to start some beach fishing in the next month or so and will be the first time so what kind of rig/set up did you use?

I'm just trying to get some info together in my head!!

Cheers

John

John,

It was a great catch for me well my best ever... but I am hoping to go bigger as I improve on my fishing.

Ill be targeting species like "king Fish" and "Jewfish" hopefully!!!!

As for the Rig and setup many fisherman use different setups depending on experience and so on.

The typical setup and the one that I am using is a 3.6 Meter (12ft) Beach Rod with a 7000 series Reel but you should use whatever is most comfortable I think as long as you can cast good which is my weakness It does not matter which reel you use just take into consideration how much line you need to have mine is 300metres (approx) which I think should be plenty and as for the rig.

Its starts with a 3 way swivel tied onto the main line and 25cm lead in the middle tied onto x3 Ganged hooks.

and not to mention a 60cm lead straight down tied onto a star sinker I use 4 ounce but again this is up to you.. all the line is 20lb... also don't forget to bring a 900mm length of 55mm thick Pvc pipe cut on a 45deg angle as you will need somewhere to put your rod.....

Hope this Helps...

Regards,

Nathan