My First Redfin

puffett

Went to my mates private dam in the central west today as he said he had stocked it with redfin. WTF I said r Redfin?. He told me they are a freshwater species [actually a pest] :mad3:

Went down to see the dam and it was huge @ least 80mtrs long and 50mtrs wide. To my surprise I could see the fish within 2mtrs of the bank with the water being so crystal clear. Grabbed my little shakespeare ugly stik SPL 1.78 rod with my Penn 4300 spinning reel loaded with 6lb line and attached a 2"gulp soft plastic [green] and threw it just passed the fishes nose. Slowly wound back and bingo, first cast first fish of the day.

We found another 8 in the next hour and had some fun. All fish had to be sighted close to shore and cast to for consistent results but when tried to cast into deeper water , no result???

Dissapointed at the fighting capability but put it down to being in a dam and not wild. Anyway killed some time and had a ball and some good casting practice before heading to coast for some real action hopefully next week.

P.S All fish were released for us to catch tomorrow :biggrin2:

I know this is a coastal website but thought you all may enjoy something a bit different. :1prop:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/pests-...es/redfin-perch

post-7744-1251370134_thumb.jpg

Great Redfin and its a fishing Site not a coastal site and sweet water fishing is an integral part of the Fishraider Forums.

Keep the sweet stuff coming PP :thumbup:

Cheers Swordfisherman

This is why maybe they did not give u the fight you were looking for, from the DPI website:

Redfin are capable of rapidly populating new waterways and in stable water bodies (such as lakes and dams) they can form very dense populations. Under these conditions, redfin become stunted as they deplete the food supply, becoming worthless for angling. In such large numbers, they can also out-compete most other fish species.

What do they eat? Does your mate feed them anything? Why did he stock the dam?

Sorry to be a party pooper here but Redfin are a Pest as you mentioned. Purposly stocking a dam with them , regardless of it being a private dam or not is pretty ignorant.

From the DPI

Don’t transfer redfin between waterways or introduce them into farm dams. New populations of redfin can quickly build up to large numbers, leading to stunted fish which are poor angling and poor eating and replace other recreational species

Sorry to be a party pooper here but Redfin are a Pest as you mentioned. Purposly stocking a dam with them , regardless of it being a private dam or not is pretty ignorant.

From the DPI

Party Pooper :biggrin2:

The DPI only would like your help in eradicating this pest .

There are Redfin everywhere Mick,just like carp.

I dont know if you should be calling someone ignorant as not all people know about fishing rules or the DPI FOR THAT MATTER.

Regards Stewy

That's a pretty solid redfin there!

Just wondering guys what the deal is with redfin? I think years ago that if you caught one you were supposed to throw it up the bank like you would a carp, but not sure if that still is, or ever was the case...

ps: sorry if this is off topic or hijacking the thread.

All I know, they are amazing to eat of the BBQ! I live in Sydney and my farther in law lives in Albury and every time I go down there we go fishing in the Weir to catch these little buggers. We then take them home and fillet them up into little strips, dust them with a little bit of flower and batter, throw them on the BBQ and tadaaaaa! Awesome!!! One of the nicest sweetest fresh water fish around.

No denying they are everywhere & that they are in fact good game & also make a tasty meal. Just my opinion regarding dam stocking.

Obviously my views aren't shared with most here so I'll get back in my box.

Just stating whats read on the DPI website regarding Redfin.

Yeah I told him he should get some trout fingerlings and put in there but I think the redfin may end up devouring them!

I think we should catch all the redfin, throw them on the bbq, invite all the boys around, av a couple of beers while watchin the footy, and have eveyone bring a dozen trout fingerlings with them to throw in the dam also.

Then have a few more beers while we watch them grow :074:

Nice first Reddy Pigpen,

They are very good to eat if taken from clear water. Unfortunately their flesh has the propnsity to take on a distict muddy flavour when they have been in farm dams . . . but certainly worth a try. Also i recommend filleting and skinning as they are extremely difficult to scale.

No denying they are everywhere & that they are in fact good game & also make a tasty meal. Just my opinion regarding dam stocking.

Obviously my views aren't shared with most here so I'll get back in my box.

Just stating whats read on the DPI website regarding Redfin.

Mick your views are always valued and I value your reports and opinions always.

Cheers Stewy

..."dont know if you should be calling someone ignorant as not all people know about fishing rules or the DPI FOR THAT MATTER"

don't mean to be picky, but if someone is fishing, or stocking a dam, and don't know about fishing rules or the DPI, then, are they not fitting quite neatly into the definition of "ignorant"?

now, calling someone ignorant, that's another matter enirely, one i can only contemplate being on the calling side of the fence of one day... :1prop:

regards, jd.

:icon_peace: boring boring yawn....................... way too pedantic :adminpower: