Alvey Reels

Guest MarkD

Guest MarkD

Hi All,

I just bought my first Alvey reel, a light surf combo on ebay.

It is currently spooled with 8lb mono and I am thinking of changing to an equivalent braid. Given that I am new to them and I'm wondering if this is a good idea..Also if anyone has any general tips around casting etc, Id be glad to hear them. (I notice there is a little guide on the rod before the first main guide is this to rest the line when casting or something else, Rod is an Alvey too...)

Thanks fellas

Mark

Yeh definately go for mono.

I sometimes use that line keeper when retrieving line if I'm a bit lazy, but normally I don't bother. I only guide the line on usually when retriving, or fighting fish that have taken a lot of line. If fishing for drummer I just winch em in and don't worrry to much about laying the line neatly. :1naughty:

Torture, ande/hawk and maxima are probably the only lines I would use on an alvey.

Hi Mark

A couple of other tips...

You can get a lot of line twist on alveys. I usually wind the line in backwards every few casts, cos when you cast again the line twists in the opposite direction and it makes a huge difference. I also use 2 swivels to help alleviate the problem.

Cheers

Tim

Tim's point re line twist is very pertinent with Alveys. With the swivels, make sure they are of a size consistent with the breaking strain of the line ie do not use huge ones for light lines. Also make sure that one of the swivels is above the rig, not part of the rig. I have also found that a sinker attached to a seperate trace attached to a brass ring running on the main line down to the swivel works well and allows the bottom swivel to turn properly.

Ditto what the guys have said re twist. Use a size swivel suited to your line then CHECK it works properly & toss it away after each session especially beach fishing.

I used Alveys a lot off the rocks & I LOVE em.

Tim's point re line twist is very pertinent with Alveys. With the swivels, make sure they are of a size consistent with the breaking strain of the line ie do not use huge ones for light lines. Also make sure that one of the swivels is above the rig, not part of the rig. I have also found that a sinker attached to a seperate trace attached to a brass ring running on the main line down to the swivel works well and allows the bottom swivel to turn properly.

39693[/snapback]

I just remembered one more thing aswell - Ballbearing swivels are worth the extra expense. I don't chuck them out after each session though. If you rinse them in fresh water after use and add a drop of oil to them they'll last well.

Had no trouble with cut fingers, even with 4 kg salmon, BUT it threw loose coils and was useless! MASSIVE tangles!

Try and find some Platypus Super 100, got mine from North Rocks. Ultra fine diameter and casts a country mile!

Howard!