Samson

capo dei capi

Its pretty hard to specifically target samson fish in the harbour as they are not that prolific. And you wouldn't be much chance this time of year as firstly they aren't around and second the harbour is pretty dead at the moment, particularly middle harbour where you would normally get them most frequently as a bi-catch.

Best time of year is when the water is at its warmest and other sub-tropic species come in the harbour around March-May. Target them the same way as kingies, fresh squid, personally i don't think you can specifically target them in the harbour and this time of year it would be a waste of time anyway.

Josh

G'day pescatore,

Late Summer, early Autumn when the water is warm like Josh said. The best way to catch them is to fish for Kingfish... they're found in the same sort of area and respond to similar fishing methods. The 2 places I found them most often was around the spit bridge and around Dobroyd Head. Caught most on squid strips although I've taken them on small yakkas too. Never got one on a live squid... probably too big a mouthful for the little Sambos in the harbour.

Cheers, Slinky